Senior Officers 'still Target Other Crimes Above Child Grooming'

Jeevan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3151387/Raped-playground-11-abused-seven-men-night-aged-12-Victim-Rotherham-Asian-sex-gang-scandal-tells-truly-horrifying-story.html

Raped in a playground at 11, abused by seven men a night aged 12: Victim of Rotherham Asian sex gang scandal tells her truly horrifying story
  • Sarah Wilson was 11 when she was befriended by a group of older men
  • They showered her with gifts and made her feel special
  • She said this grooming was 'normal' in Rotherham
  • By the age of 12, she was forced to have sex with them
  • They threatened to harm her family if she didn't cooperate
  • Her mother, Maggie, was powerless to help
  • They felt letdown by the police and social services
  • Now 23, Sarah escaped the gang at 17 and is trying to move on

By Lucy Waterlow for MailOnline

Published: 10:34, 8 July 2015 | Updated: 12:35, 8 July 2015

4.3k shares

View comments

For five years from the age of 11, Sarah Wilson was groomed and raped by Rotherham paedophiles who showered with gifts and made her feel special in what was to become one of the biggest abuse scandals in the UK.

The now 23-year-old admits she became so 'brainwashed' by the older British Pakistani men in the South Yorkshire town she considered it normal for them to expect to have sex with her in return for all they had given her.

Writing an emotional account of her harrowing experience in new book Violated, Sarah, whose sister Laura was murdered, reveals she was plied with alcohol and cannabis by sexual predators.

They habitually abused her until she was 16, when they lost interest because she was no longer underage.

Scroll down for video

2A4B923300000578-3151387-Sarah_Wilson_no
+15

Sarah Wilson, now 23, has written a book about she was groomed by Rotherham paedophiles

2A47FE8300000578-3151387-From_the_age_of
+15

From the age of 11 to 17, Sarah, pictured as a teenager, was in the grip of the paedophiles who forced her to have sex with them. She has now written a book - Violated - about it

2A47FEB300000578-3151387-image-a-31_1436
+15

Sarah has shared her story in a book in the hope it will help others and raise awareness

The abuse, which sent shockwaves across the nation, took place in Rotherham between 1997 and 2013.

And Sarah, who is now a mother, was not alone. A report revealed that, since the 1990s, up to 1,400 young girls in the Yorkshire town had been regularly abused by sex gangs, predominantly composed of Asian men.

A National Crime Agency investigation, which could run until 2018, last month announced that it had so far identified 300 suspects

The suspects are ‘predominantly’ Asian men from the South Yorkshire town and include two who have worked for the council. Their victims are mainly white, British, underage and ‘vulnerable’ girls.

Sarah, who has waived her right to anonymity, said had no idea she was a victim of grooming.

She was raped by a 30-year-old man in a school playground at night when she was just 11, leaving her feeling ashamed and disgusted.

And it was just after her 12th birthday that Sarah got into a car with a fat 35-year-old British Pakistani man who took her virginity.

She explains: 'From the age of 11, I was showered with gifts from men in their twenties and thirties who pretended they were my friends.

'They told me I was beautiful and bought me anything I wanted: phones, clothes, takeaway food, cigarettes and, of course, alcohol and drugs. Some even claimed that they loved me.

'By the time they took me to strange towns to have sex with them and all their mates, aged 12, I was so brainwashed I thought it was normal.'

Such was the scale of the grooming in the South Yorkshire town at the time, Sarah said 'lots of girls were being groomed like I was. To us, grooming was normal.'

Describing the horrific sexual abuse she was subjected to, Sarah said: 'Some nights, I was driven hundreds of miles away and ordered to have sex with as many as seven men in a row.'

She said refusing wasn't an option.

'How could I say no? I didn't want to be stranded with no money to get home and they'd got me hooked on the alcohol and drugs they knew I couldn't afford myself.

'Plus, they'd threatened to petrol bomb my family home if I didn't do as they said,' she said.

2A47FDFA00000578-3151387-Sarah_pictured_
+15

Sarah pictured aged 14 when the men who groomed her had her hooked on drugs and alcohol

2A47FD7600000578-3151387-Innocence_lost_
+15

Innocence lost: Sarah pictured as a four-year-old, seven years later she was groomed by sexual predators

Sarah said the police and social services did little to help her and she was only freed when she turned 17 - as she was then deemed 'too old' for the paedophiles.

She revealed: 'My mum reported me missing countless times but the police barely batted an eyelid.

'The reason? In their opinion, we'd agreed to this. We kept going back to these men, so surely they couldn't be raping us.

Girls like me - and our families - were crying out for help, but no one listened. Politicians were worried that addressing the issue of grooming by British Pakistani men would "give oxygen" to racism

'As for my social workers, they put me in a children's home, where my abusers collected me in taxis every single day. When they brought me back in the early hours of the morning, the staff even paid the fare.

'Girls like me - and our families - were crying out for help, but no one listened. Politicians were worried that addressing the issue of grooming by British Pakistani men would "give oxygen" to racism.'

Sarah recalls: 'When I was 17, I eventually escaped my abusers, with the help of my mum and a friend from the British Pakistani community who intervened. By then, I was too old for the men who'd groomed me.'

Justice started to be served in November 2010 when five men were jailed for a string of sexually related offences against girls in 2010. This was later revealed to be just the tip of the iceberg.

An investigation by The Times found thousands of girls had been victims of sexual predators.

This led to further investigations and by February 2015, South Yorkshire Police said up to 29 people had been charged with child sexual exploitation offences in Rotherham.

Now free of the men who abused her, Sarah is slowly trying to move on with her life.

She said: 'The scars of years of abuse don't heal overnight.

'I'm 23 now and I still feel anxious going into town alone. I rarely use taxis, as so many of the men who raped me were taxi drivers.

'I've struggled to do the things many young women take for granted, like going to college and getting a full-time job.

'If I didn't have such a supportive family, I worry I'd have turned to drugs or crime - or that I'd be dead.'

2A47FDA400000578-3151387-Sarah_aged_13_b
+15

Sarah aged 13 being caught about pregnancy. By this age, she'd already been raped countless times

2A4B938300000578-3151387-image-a-23_1436
+15
2A47FE8B00000578-3151387-Sarah_pictured_
+15

Maggie, Sarah's mother, pictured left, said she did 'everything I could' to keep her daughter away from the men. Sarah, pictured right when pregnant, has now become a mother and is determined to move on

THE INVESTIGATION INTO THE ROTHERHAM SCANDAL CONTINUES

Police and social workers in the South Yorkshire town were accused of being too concerned about being labelled racist to speak out about the crimes involving 1,400 children.

Last week it emerged that the massive inquiry into the Rotherham sex abuse scandal could run until at least 2018 and has so far identified 300 suspects.

Investigators say the number of possible offenders is changing on a ‘daily basis’ and they suspect ‘thousands of offences’ have been committed.

The team has seized 92 boxes containing several thousand files and identified more than 3,300 lines of inquiry. The suspects are ‘predominantly’ Asian men from the South Yorkshire town and include two who have worked for the council. Their victims are mainly white, British, underage and ‘vulnerable’ girls.

Operation Stovewood is currently costing up to £5million every year, and is still likely to be ongoing in three years’ time – putting the total bill for the inquiry at around £15million.

So far the inquiry has backed an original estimate that 1,400 girls were abused in Rotherham during a 16-year period from 1997 to 2013.

She continues to lives in Rotherham, where she is helping to bring up her niece, Alesha, following her sister's death, and has recently become a mother herself.

She said becoming a parent has made her even more passionate about preventing child abuse which is why she has shared her story in a new book, Violated, published by Harper Element.

Sarah said: 'I've realised I don't have to be a victim forever. I'm also a survivor, and I can make a difference.

'Alongside other victims, I'm doing something about grooming. I'm working with the police and children's charities to help professionals recognise the signs of child sexual exploitation.

'I want to help them see that no child can consent to having a sexual relationship with a grown man and to understand that it doesn't matter what colour someone's skin is if he's drugging and abusing a vulnerable teenage girl.

'I'm taking a stand against grooming because I don't want my children to be targeted like I was.

'We've all got to act, or another generation of girls will be lost. My abusers stole my youth, but I won't let them steal my future.'

Sarah's mother, Maggie, agrees. Describing how difficult the period was for her, she said: 'For six long years I watched helplessly as my beloved daughter was manipulated and controlled by merciless paedophiles.'

She said her 'once quiet and caring daughter' suddenly started staying out late, drinking and smoking at the age of 11 and she later discovered a group of older men were to blame.

'When Sarah went missing for the first time, I was frantic and I called the police. She was barely a mile from home, but they told me they couldn't find her,' Maggie recalls.

'A short while later, I found her on a street corner with two Asian men old enough to be her dad.

'They laughed in my face when I told them to stay away from my daughter as she'd just turned 12.'

Maggie said she did 'everything I could' to keep Sarah away from these men but she was so scared of them, she would come running every time they called.

'Every time it rang she had to do as they said, or face the consequences. They even threatened to petrol bomb our family home if she refused to come out,' Maggie said.

2A549BA800000578-3151387-image-a-46_1436
+15
2A549BB000000578-3151387-image-m-45_1436
+15

Mohsin Khan, 21, left (jailed for four years) and Razwan Razaq, 30 (jailed for 11 years), from Rotherham, were convicted of a string of sexually related offences against girls as young as 12 in 2010

2A549BA200000578-3151387-image-a-52_1436
+15
2A549B9400000578-3151387-image-m-51_1436
+15

Umar Razaq, 24, left (jailed for four and a half years - and is now out of jail) and Zafran Ramzan, 21 (jailed for nine years), from Rotherham, prowled the streets looking for girls, attacking them in parks and in their cars

2A549BAC00000578-3151387-image-a-55_1436

Adil Hussain, 20, from Rotherham, was jailed for four and a half years in 2010. He is now out of prison

'I tried locking all of the doors but she'd climb out of the bathroom window and scale down the drainpipe to the taxi which would carry her off into the night.'

Maggie said when she called the police, they were disinterested and unhelpful.

A probe into how police handled child sexual exploitation in Rotherham is currently looking into allegations against officers after complaints were sent to the force watchdog.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is also examining allegations against ten officers involved in the investigation into one of the country's most prolific child abuse rings.

Describing her experience with the force, Maggie said: 'Sometimes, Sarah would be gone for days.

'Every time, I phoned the police, sick with worry and scared this would be the time she wouldn't come home at all.

'The sigh was always audible on the other end of the phone. The officers usually told me to give them a call when Sarah returned, rarely even pretending that they were looking for her.

'Once, when she'd been missing for several days, I went to the local paper in desperation and asked them to circulate a photo.

29ECA36E00000578-3151387-image-a-32_1436
+15

A report revealed that, since the 1990s, up to 1,400 young girls in the Yorkshire town had been regularly abused by sex gangs, predominantly composed of Pakistani men

20E450D000000578-3151387-image-a-33_1436
+15

Like Sarah, 'Emma' (not her real name) pictured in Rotherham, was gang-raped by Asian gangs at the age of 12. Sarah said it was happening to so many girls in her home town, they thought it was 'normal'

'Ten minutes later, I received a curt call from a police officer who accused me of deliberately trying to make the force look bad in the press.

'I tried everything to get the police to listen. One day, I scrolled through the contacts book of Sarah's phone and found the numbers of 177 British Pakistani men.

'I copied them all down and gave them to the police but they told me they couldn't do anything in case it breached the Data Protection Act.

'Eventually, Sarah was taken into care to protect the rest of the family.

'High on the cocaine these men plied her with, she'd threatened me with a knife when I’d tried to stop her going out.

'Our social workers placed her in a children's home, which was a known target for these predatory gangs who combed Rotherham looking for vulnerable girls to drug and abuse.

'They hadn't made it harder for these depraved men to reach Sarah, they'd made it much easier.'

Maggie was eventually able to help her daughter when she turned 17 and the men lost interest in her over younger girls.

Violated: a shocking and harrowing survival story from the notorious Rotherham abuse scandal by Sarah Wilson is published by Harper Element at £7.99 and eBook at £5.99

GIRL, 17, MURDERED FOR 'BRINGING SHAME' ON PAKISTANI MEN WHO USED HER FOR SEX AFTER SHE BECAME 'ALMOST INVISIBLE' TO SOCIAL WORKERS

Sarah Wilson's sister Laura, from Rotherham, was 17 when she was stabbed and dumped in a canal by her Asian boyfriend in the UK's first white honour killing.

Ashtiaq Ashgar murdered Laura in 2010 after she told his family about their secret relationship.

The teenager was left to die in a canal, after being stabbed more than 40 times, mostly to the head.

After Laura's death, it was revealed that social workers had known for six years that the white teenage mother was at clear risk from predatory Asian gangs.

2A47FCD700000578-3151387-Laura_as_a_teen
+15

Laura pictured as a teenager with her daughter Alesha

They had received information about certain adults who were suspected of targeting Laura from the age of 11.

Laura began her relationship with Ashgar in 2008, when she was 15 and he was 16.

Ashgar came from a traditional Muslim family who were planning an arranged marriage for their son with a girl from Pakistan.

But unbeknown to his family, he lived a double life where he drank, smoked cannabis, carried weapons and had numerous relationship with women, including Laura.

When Laura found out that he has been seeing other girls, they broke up and she slept with this married friend, 22-year-old Ishaq 'Zac' Hussein, to make him jealous.

Just 16 at the time, Laura fell pregnant and had a daughter, Alesha. Hussein refused to acknowledge he was the father.

After Alesha was born, Laura and Ashgar rekindled their relationship. But he insisted it must be a secret.

Laura soon became sick of being Ashgar's secret and on October 6, 2010, she and her sister Sarah made the fatal mistake of revealing all to his family.

Laura and Sarah also visited Zac's family to reveal how he is the father of her baby.

After that, Ashgar sent Zac a text message saying: 'I'm gonna send that b***** to Hell.'

He also said he wanted to make 'beans on toast' of her, which is a phrase that means to spill blood.

Ashgar then asked Laura to meet him at the canal one evening where he murdered her.

Both Ashgar and Hussein were charged with murder. Ashgar pleaded guilty and was given a life sentence. He will be eligible for parole in 2029 when he is 34.

Hussein was acquitted of murder following a retrial.

Share or comment on this article

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-police-officer-charged-five-9598695?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Coventry police officer charged with five offences of indecency with a child
PC Richard Chamberlain will appear before magistrates in Birmingham in August
PM734657.jpg
Little Park Street police station

A serving Coventry police officer has been charged with five offences of indecency with a child.

PC Richard Chamberlain, aged 49, who is based at Coventry Police Station, has been bailed to appear before Birmingham Magistrates Court on August 4.

He was arrested by officers from the force’s public protection unit in October last year, following historical allegations of indecency with a child.

West Midlands Police said that, following enquires, the PC has now been charged with five offences, two indecent assaults on a child, then aged under 14 and three offences of gross indecency on a child aged under 14 at the time.

He remains suspended from his role within the force.

WaheGuru Ji Khalsa, WaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh,

Simon Dancczuk MP is been a leading light in exposing child abuse, unfortunately the emotional battle has taken it's toll on him and he is taking some time out to recover.

Can we as Sangat send him messages of support please, his contact details are as follows:-

http://www.simondanczuk.com/contact

Contact Me

Constituents can contact my Rochdale Office:

26 St Mary's Gate

Rochdale

OL16 1DZ

01706 750135

Email: simon.danczuk.mp@parliament.uk

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3166708/Senior-MP-accused-child-sex-abuse-Two-MPs-report-serving-Labour-politician-police-sex-attacks-corruption-claims.html

logo_mol.gif

Senior MP accused of child sex abuse: Two MPs report same serving Labour politician to police over sex attacks and corruption claims
  • Labour MP John Mann one of the informants to pass information to police
  • A fortnight ago a Conservative MP told police about the same politician
  • Unnamed MP is accused of offering political favours to a brothel owner
  • Also claimed they were arrested for indecency in public place with a minor

By Glen Owen and Miles Goslett For The Mail On Sunday

Published: 22:46, 18 July 2015 | Updated: 00:28, 19 July 2015

499 shares

View comments

2AA82BEB00000578-0-Labour_MP_John_Mann_p
+3

Labour MP John Mann passed details about the unnamed prominent individual within his own party to police officers earlier this year, the MoS has learnt

A senior Labour MP has been reported to police by two fellow MPs over claims of child sex abuse, The Mail on Sunday has learned.

One of the informants, Labour MP John Mann, passed details about the prominent individual to officers earlier this year.

Then, a fortnight ago, a Conservative MP went to the same police force armed with information about the same individual, some of which had been provided to him by a former Government Minister.

It is believed to be the first time that a sitting MP has been scrutinised by any of the ongoing police investigations into child abuse, representing a further extension of the ever-widening sphere of historic sex allegations.

Mr Mann handed his information over to an ongoing criminal investigation into another public figure, which included links between that figure and the Labour MP.

The Conservative MP’s allegations about the MP, which date back to the late 1980s, include claims that the MP had been arrested for indecency in a public place with a minor – during which he is said to have assaulted the arresting officers.

It is claimed the MP had performed political favours for the owner of a brothel in his constituency in which men consorted with underage males.

The Conservative MP also made further allegations about drink-driving, assault and corruption involving the Labour MP.

A BBC News team, headed by a journalist who specialises in reporting on sex abuse crimes, is also understood to have had access to the information. The team, which has been granted significant resources by bosses, has already started interviewing potential witnesses about the MP. Director-general Tony Hall has been made aware of the special project.

Mr Mann, a former member of the Treasury Select Committee, has established a strong campaigning record on the issue of abuse, and last year he compiled a dossier of historic allegations which detailed claims against 12 former Government Ministers.

1DEA262200000578-0-image-a-75_1437255312
+3

The Met Police are carrying out Operation Fairbank, an umbrella inquiry into historical child sex abuse claims involving politicians in the House of Commons and House of Lords and other leading public figures

Earlier this year Mr Mann claimed that the number of victims could reach ‘tens of thousands’.

He said: ‘The state can’t deal with the numbers of people coming forward. The police and social services cannot cope with the volume that’s there, even now. And we’re hardly at the beginning of people coming forward.’

There are a total of five police investigations under way across the country into historical abuse allegations, of which the main one is Operation Fairbank – the Met Police’s umbrella inquiry into historical child sex abuse claims involving politicians and other leading public figures.

1602769C000005DC-3166708-image-a-77_1437
+3

The Independent Police Complains Commission are also investigating if there was an Establishment cover-up of the late Cyril Smith MP's abuse of boys

The police watchdog, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), is also investigating claims that there was an Establishment cover-up over the abuse perpetrated by the late Liberal MP Cyril Smith, including threatening a police officer with the Official Secrets Act after he said he had found the MP with two teenage boys in 1988.

Twenty-three people have claimed they were abused by the Liberal MP, who died aged 82 in 2010.

The Commons and the House of Lords are featuring heavily in the investigations. Earlier this year, Scotland Yard officers contacted Lawrence Ward, the Serjeant at Arms, the Commons’ most senior security official, to ask him to search files kept on MPs.

Mr Ward told the officers that if they produced a warrant, they could enter the Commons to investigate the files themselves on a ‘case by case basis’.

Earlier this month, Justice Lowell Goddard finally opened the public inquiry into child sex abuse, vowing that ‘no one, no matter how powerful’ will be able to avoid its scrutiny.

The New Zealand judge – brought in to head the inquiry after her two predecessors resigned over concerns about their links to the Establishment – said it could take a decade to complete. Her works covers five key areas of society from ‘the corridors of power in Westminster to children’s homes in the poorest parts of the country’.

Another abuse campaigner, Labour’s Tom Watson, has called for the inquiry to be given full access to MI5’s secret files containing the names of offenders.

Last night, the police force which has received the information about the Labour MP said it was unable to comment on any ongoing investigations which had not included any arrests.

Mr Mann declined to comment.

http://news.sky.com/story/1523577/key-westminster-figures-in-child-abuse-papers

dbb30625.sky-news-logo.png
Key Westminster Figures In Child Abuse Papers

The Government reveals that unreleased files relating to child abuse allegations do exist which name key Westminster figures.

22:12, UK, Wednesday 22 July 2015

glass-hd-background-mstr-still-bgd-1-762
play-icon.png
Video: Westminster Figures In Abuse Papers

By Tom Parmenter, Sky News Correspondent

Key Westminster figures from the 1970s and 1980s have been named in a series of Government child abuse documents.

After months of requests from Sky News the Government has revealed that papers exist that relate to Margaret Thatcher's former parliamentary secretary Sir Peter Morrison, former Home Secretary Leon Brittan, former diplomat Sir Peter Hayman and former minister Sir William van Straubenzee.

All four have passed away and the contents of the papers have not been revealed.

In January Sky News forced the Government to release the details of a file prepared for Mrs Thatcher's office on the 'unnatural sexual' behaviours of one of the men Sir Peter Hayman.

glass-hd-background-mstr-still-bgd-2-960

Cabinet Office apologised for 'flaw' in how they responded to info request

The new batch of file names reveal there were further Government papers relating to the former MI6 man and career diplomat.

The revelation comes after the Wanless and Whittam review was prevented from finding the relevant Government papers during searches of Westminster departments last year.

cegrab-20150722-202530-159-1-762x428.jpg
play-icon.png
Video: MP: 'We Need To Get To Facts'

The Cabinet Office apologised for the 'flaw' in the way they responded to the request for information.

Permanent Secretary Richard Heaton wrote to Whittam and Wanless in May saying: "I deeply regret that the Cabinet Office failed to identify the papers in question when you first asked for them."

NSPCC chief executive Peter Wanless told Sky News: "We were concerned and disappointed that the Cabinet Office was aware of this separate store of papers and yet informed us that they weren't."

The papers also reveal that the Kincora children's home in Northern Ireland was at the heart of further correspondence involving the security services.

1/6
  1. glass-hd-background-mstr-still-bgd-2-800
  2. 3140217-2-800x600.jpg

Gallery: Westminster Figures In Abuse Papers

3. gettyimages-105458893-1-800x600.jpg
  4. gettyimages-500409911-1-800x600.jpg
  5. gettyimages-3142725-1-800x600.jpg
  6. glass-hd-background-mstr-still-bgd-2-800
  7. 3140217-2-800x600.jpg

Gallery: Westminster Figures In Abuse Papers

Allegations of abuse and trafficking of children to England have centred on the home in Belfast.

The papers reveal former intelligence officer Colin Wallace raised concerns about abuse at Kincora - the papers had been stored by the Cabinet Office.

The contents of the papers have still not been revealed but have been shared with the police and will be passed to the Child Abuse Inquiry led by Justice Lowell Goddard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11802502/Lord-Janner-in-court-LIVE.html

Lord Janner: 'Confused' peer spends 59 seconds in court on child sex abuse charges Former Labour peer spends less than a minute in Westminster courtroom for first appearance over 22 historic child sex abuse charges - latest
_Lord-Janner-arriv_3407953b.jpg
Lord Janner, 87, arrives at Westminster Magistrates' Court Photo: Daniel Leal-Olivas / i-Images

By Danny Boyle, and Martin Evans, Crime Correspondent

3:44PM BST 14 Aug 2015

This page will automatically update every 30 secondsOn Off

• Lord Janner finally appears at Westminster Magistrates' Court
• He spends 59 seconds in courtroom before being released on bail
• Ex-Labour peer 'confused and frail' as he faces 22 abuse charges
• It comes after judge dismisses video link bid and threatens arrest
Legal team claims it is 'barbaric' to force 87-year-old to attend court
Lord Greville Janner picture gallery: A career in images

Latest
Summary

After weeks of legal wrangling, Lord Janner has appeared in court in person for the first time over 22 historic child sex abuse charges.

The peer's attendance at Westminster Magistrates' Court lasted 59 seconds and comes after numerous attempts by his defence lawyers - three court hearings over a week - to avoid him having to turn up.

Using a walking stick, he appeared confused and frail as he entered the courtroom, saying: "Oooh, this is wonderful."

Janner was released on unconditional bail, with the next hearing to be held at Southwark Crown Court on September 1.

Thanks for following our live updates from the court - you can read back over how it unfolded below.

janner4_3408119b.jpgLord Janner arrives home in north London

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/main-topics/general-news/more-than-100-officers-still-to-be-identified-by-rotherham-investigators-1-7428715

83706079.png
More than 100 officers still to be identified by Rotherham investigators
469769829.jpg

08:41Wednesday 26 August 2015

A YEAR on from the publication of a damning report into child sexual exploitation in Rotherham, investigators are seeking to identify more than 100 police officers referenced in allegations.

The Independent Police Complaint Commission (IPCC) said it is continuing to examine police conduct exactly a year on from the publication of the Jay Report, which shocked the nation with the scale of child rape, trafficking and grooming it uncovered in the South Yorkshire town.

Professor Alexis Jay’s report described how more than 1,400 children were sexually exploited by gangs of mainly Asian males in Rotherham between 1997 and 2013.

And it was scathing about a culture among police and council officials which ignored the industrial scale of abuse, instead treating the victims of CSE as troublesome teenagers.

Read more on The Yorkshire Post’s coverage of the first anniversary of the Jay Report here.

The IPCC says it has received 47 referrals from South Yorkshire Police since the publication of the Jay Report, involving more than 100 allegations.

A spokeswoman said: “Analysis of all the referrals has so far identified more than 60 officers.

“Further assessments are being carried out to establish the specific allegations against these individuals to determine what further actions are needed. Work is ongoing to identify more than 100 officers who are referenced in the referrals but are unnamed.”

The Jay Report was commissioned by the council after a high profile CSE trial and a series of damning stories in The Times about what was happening in the town.

Its impact was generated by the sheer scale of offending that it outlined and the horrific details it included of what had happened to girls as young as 11.

Prof Jay said at the time she had found ‘’utterly appalling’’ examples of ‘’children who had been doused in petrol and threatened with being set alight, threatened with guns, made to witness brutally-violent rapes and threatened they would be next if they told anyone’’.

She said: ‘’They were raped by multiple perpetrators, trafficked to other towns and cities in the north of England, abducted, beaten and intimidated.’’

Rotherham Council and South Yorkshire Police were roundly criticised in its wake and a series off high profiles resignations culminated in the departure of South Yorkshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner, Shaun Wright, who was the councillor in charge of Rotherham’s children’s services between 2005 and 2010.

A further review of Rotherham Council by the Government’s Troubled Families chief, Louise Casey, heaped more criticism on an authority she labelled as “not fit for purpose” and “in denial” and the then communities and local government secretary Eric Pickles handed over its powers to a panel of appointed commissioners.

Both the council and the police say their focus over the last 12 months has been on building trust among survivors.

South Yorkshire Police says it now has a team of more than 60 officers working on child sexual exploitation and the National Crime Agency has been brought in to investigate historical crimes.

A £3 million initiative was announced earlier this month which will see a Barnardo’s team of specialist workers work with children at risk of being sexually exploited.

But, earlier this week, a solicitor representing 58 women who were subjected to CSE in Rotherham said only a fraction of victims had come forward.

David Greenwood said he believes fewer than 100 of the girls involved have engaged with the raft of new inquiries. He said that the police and council have made progress in the town in the last 12 months but that he believes many survivors will only trust the system once a truly independent agency is brought in.

• 2 months later...

Now we know why the Police 'Still Target Other Crimes Above Child Grooming' they don't want to end up arresting their own colleagues\friends!!!

Police sergeant pleads guilty to abusing teenage girl

A BRITISH Transport Police sergeant has pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl.

Mick Defries, 58, of Barnham, appeared at Lewes Crown Court today (December 12) for a preliminary hearing and pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual assault of a female child under 13.

He has been remanded in custody and will be sentenced on January 10.

A British Transport Police spokesman said: “BTP can confirm that Sergeant Defries, who has served with the force for ten years, has been suspended from duty following his arrest and charge by Sussex Police.

“BTP’s professional standard’s department is assisting Sussex Police with their investigation.”

http://www.chichester.co.uk/news/top-stories/latest/police-sergeant-pleads-guilty-to-abusing-teenage-girl-1-5746473

http://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk/news/100601/police-officer-jailed-for-child-sex-offence.aspx

Police officer jailed for child sex offence

Published date: 13 November 2015 | Published by: Adele Forrest

index.jpg

A POLICE officer has been convicted of causing a 15-year-old girl to engage in sexual activity after a four-day trial.

Daniel Cookson (30), who worked in Rotherham, was found unanimously guilty today by a jury at Sheffield Crown Court and was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment.

He was also ordered to sign the Sex Offenders’ Register for ten years.

Cookson, of Dickens Road, Worksop, was arrested in November 2013 after the girl’s parents saw inappropriate text messages from him on their daughter’s phone and reported it to police.

An investigation found he had sent a number of messages to the girl between March and November 2013 pressurising her to send naked pictures

He was suspended from his position in the force when he was arrested and was charged in August 2014.

A misconduct investigation will be considered by the force’s professional standards department now that criminal proceedings have concluded.

Detective Supt Terry Mann, head of the force’s Professional Standards Department, said: “Members of the public quite rightly expect higher standards and behaviour from our officers and staff and anyone who is found to have fallen short of those standards and be suspected of committing a crime will be thoroughly and professionally investigated.

"We expects staff to act with integrity and professionalism to ensure people receive a high quality service and have a police service they can be proud of.”

• 1 month later...

When you the establishment knowlingly or unwittingly supporting paedophiles it's no wonder paedophilia in the UK has been allowed to flourish?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/31/archbishop-and-mps-wrote-in-support-of-accused-bishop-foi-request-reveals

Archbishop and MPs wrote in support of bishop later convicted of sexual offences

Raft of public figures stepped forward to defend Peter Ball in letters revealed after freedom of information requests

1546.jpg?w=300&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10