Jot Jgauna Gurmat Hai?

Once Sree Guru Nanak Dev Maharaj was passing through some villages with some of His close disciples, and He saw a brahmin or someone early in the morning elevating his arms and pouring down water from a glass...

When that man was asked by Guru Nanak Maharaj, upon what he was doing? So the man answered, I am offering water to the Sun god.

On hearing so, Maharaj told one of His disciples to fetch Him a bucket of water. And as that bucket was brought, He took it an throw away the water some meteres far, and at same time said, this water, is to water my land a few miles away ...

On hearing that, the brahmin laughed, and said, that if He was insane, how could a bucket of water thrown here reach His village.

To this, Guru Jee said, if your glass of water can reach the Sun millions of miles away, why could not His bucket of water reach My village just a few miles away?

It was long time ago, I heard this story, I do not even know how true it is , but my mind sees rationality behind it. It may have happened or not, but it makes sense according to Gurmat.

Some times, Guru Sahibans use some words, but we must understand the Bani, and not take them literally some times, but the mesaage they want to convey us through them.

What is to be understood in summary, is that no water, no fire, no scent, no food reaches Him as per our offerings as such.

If ever we want to offer Him a Lamp, let us offer Him the Light of our enlightened mind, if we want to offer Him some scent, let us offer Him the scent which really reaches Him, and that is the scent, the flame within us, of His bhakti , of His Simran...

is it not that the offerings are done to reach Him, to please Him?

Then, let us look aroud us in these huge vast Universe, is there anything apart His Simran and our soul which can reach there where He is?

Because even our mind, which is thiner than the air and faster than the wind ....can not reach Him, what to say about material things made out from the 5 tatwaas...

So let us not get entangled with outer rituals and things....our Guru Sahibans always point us to go within ourselves, there where His real temple is, and offer Him, the light and scent of our bhakti to Him alone.

Dear Sangat Jee,

the lightining of a lamp, or dhoop, is usually considered as a part of offering one`s reverence and faith to the deity object of our devotion.

Not only lightining this lamp is a part of that ritual, but some more elements are also offered, like water , food, fruits, sweets, saffaron, etc....and to offer these one´s practices, adequate utensils are used to offer them, which make a whole packet with these elements in consideration.

So, these are all our outer worldly ways, which almost all believers of all religions put it into an almost a daily ritual, maybe at home, or in the temples, churches and places of pilgrimages.

On the other side of all these practices, is Gurmat, the path of the Saints, the Gurmukhs, who only need Nam, as their objective, and use the plate of their purified mind, with the soul offered as lamp, scent and flowers, at the Lotus feet of Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

This is the true offering, who only the real enlightened can do and invite us to do the same.

This type of devotion, is the highest among all practices. In this devotion, we offer and give our everything to Him, we do not keep anything back with us.

All our so called houses, money, business, properties ...are lifless, are temporay for us, are not ours really.

Before we came to have them, in the past, they were of our ancestors, or even other owners, and after some time they will go the hands of others, so how come they be ours?

So apart from our mind and soul, what is ours really now? Nothing.

And then there comes a time even, when by Nam Simran, the mind gets dissolved and we become pure souls, without any blemishes or layers of dirt on it.

And thus the real devotion, is done by the soul , by offering herself unconditonally in the meditation, in the dhyan of Wahiguru.

All outer elements offered to Him, can be purchased if one has money.

What if one is poor, and has no money to buy them, can that soul do not perform His devotion?

Some may argue and say, even a leaf of tree is accepted by Him, if given with love and faith.

Again we come to a point, where we are dependentant on some outer elements....

Wahiguru is surely much more wiser than us, and so are His Sant Janas and Gurmukhs.

Through them, He tells us, all your envoirements are depending on your karmas, on which you have no control, which can make you have all the comodities of life, or so poor, that you do not have proper food to feed yourself or clothes to cover your body properly or a roof under to sit and sleep.

But you are my very own, I can not deprive you from doing my bhakti, which is ultimately what is going to bring you back to me, wherever you maybe, however you maybe.

For that purpose, I am going to keep myself within yourself, to make the things easiest for you. I am available all the 24 hours for you, without any time limitations, the doors are opened always for you. Whenever you remember me, and want to come nearer to me, just board the vehicle of Nam, and you shall reach me me.

That is why the Bani says: Nanak, Nam Jahaaz hae. Nam is the vehicle to take us. But to take us where? The answer is, to Him.

Wahiguru Akal Purukh is so merciful, so dayalu, that He has made the things very easy for us even before we came into existence.

It is we stupid humans, manmukh humans who complicate things, then we fight and kill or die in the adulterated religion created by us...then too we proudly say, it is in the name of my religion, my god.

Are we not insane, life is given to us by Him, to do His bandagee, His seva, and for that we have to live...not to die. Death does not take us anywhere, but it is by doing His bhakti only, that we get deliverance from the wheel of eighty four, chaurasee ka chakar, the cycle of births and deaths. Death given or taken is a very big sin. And sin is not righteousness. It is wrong to think, that by giving my life for my religion, I shall go to Him.

Through the Bani, we know it is only Nam bhakti which burns our karmas, on the contrary dying or killing, is adding more heavy karmas to our already infinite stock of karmas.

If it was that easy, our Guru Sahibans would have surely told us, take the poison in his name and die by commiting suicide. So simple, isn´t it? Why to live a strugglig life? Or why to wait for somebody to kill us? If dying or killing would ever take us to Him...

Let us remove all the stupid dirt from our minds, through the Bani. Let us not allow anybody to manipulate us, with agyanta. Because they are destined to drown, and all those who follow their steps, shall be also drowned, such is the play of Kal...

So according to the beautful topic of the this thread, a Shabad is taken from the pure paviter Bani, of one of His true devotees, named Bhagat Ravi Das in Raag Dhanasree, to show us, what is His devotion? What is required for His devotion? What are the results of His true devotion?

Here it goes:

naam tayro aartee majan muraaray.
Your Name, Lord, is my adoration and cleansing bath.

har kay naam bin jhoothay sagal paasaaray.
Without the Name of the Lord, all ostentatious displays are useless.

naam tayro aasno naam tayro ursaa naam tayraa kaysro lay chhitkaaray.
Your Name is my prayer mat, and Your Name is the stone to grind the sandalwood. Your Name is the saffron which I take and sprinkle in offering to You.

naam tayraa ambhulaa naam tayro chandno ghas japay naam lay tujheh ka-o chaaray.
Your Name is the water, and Your Name is the sandalwood. The chanting of Your Name is the grinding of the sandalwood. I take it and offer all this to You.

naam tayraa deevaa naam tayro baatee naam tayro tayl lay maahi pasaaray.
Your Name is the lamp, and Your Name is the wick. Your Name is the oil I pour into it.

naam tayray kee jot lagaa-ee bha-i-o uji-aaro bhavan saglaaray.
Your Name is the light applied to this lamp, which enlightens and illuminates the entire world.

naam tayro taagaa naam fool maalaa bhaar athaarah sagal joothaaray.
Your Name is the thread, and Your Name is the garland of flowers. The eighteen loads of vegetation are all too impure to offer to You.

tayro kee-aa tujheh ki-aa arpa-o naam tayraa tuhee chavar dholaaray.
Why should I offer to You, that which You Yourself created? Your Name is the fan, which I wave over You.

das athaa athsathay chaaray khaanee ihai //tan hai sagal sansaaray.
The whole world is engrossed in the eighteen Puraanas, the sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage, and the four sources of creation.

kahai ravidaas naam tayro aartee sat naam hai har bhog tuhaaray.
Says Ravi Daas, Your Name is my Aartee, my lamp-lit worship-service. The True Name, Sat Naam, is the food which I offer to You

Wahiguru alone and His Nam, are worthy of our devotion.

Wah wah Sachay Badshah.

bhai sahib ji .....

i m 23 yrs old..... m female..... means sister not brother :)

i have read your answer and understood too...

bs mai sirf ehi clear krna c...... je mai jot nhi krde tan kuj galt tan nhi..... jo waheguru ji nu chnga na lage......

mere mom kehnde ne pr mai kehnde han eh gurmar anusaar nhi........ ghar ch guru gobind singh di photo samne jot rakh dinde a,,,,, tasveeran nu matha tekna tan guru je ne mna kita hai......

Mann wich ik gal ayi ..main b kheni c.......jado da is forum te account bnaya tusi phele bande ho jina ne...english ego nai dikhaai...thavadi punabi boht sweet a...pardhke mann nu skoon yeha huya......dhanwaad DIDi...........:)