Help For A Sikh Awareness Presentation

Guest Jas Singh

Guest Jas Singh

Waheguru Ji Kha Khalsa Waheguru Ji Khi Fateh, Sangat Jio, Can anyone help me or give me any pointers of what to add to a Sikh awareness presentation, This year was pretty weird for me as i am commuting to a college far from where i live , many people at college would firstly assume that I am muslim :blink2: . So i gathered that for a speaking and listening assignment i will do it on Sikhi,as the presentation is going to be between 10 - 15 minutes. with my lack of knowledge i cannot speak about Sikhism and Gurbani as a whole as i believe i just wouldnt give it any justice as im still learning as each day goes by so in addition i gathered Sikh awareness would be better. im looking to talk about Sikhis core beliefs, the dastaar, Simran Seva Sikhs in UK (military) . could anyone be kind enough to make any suggestions of what would be good to add and give any pointers and how to tackle any questions at the end of the presentation or common questions someone who is muslim or christian would ask. Sorry for taking up any of your time. Waheguru Ji Kha Khalsa Waheguru Ji Khi Fateh.

veer ji add things like

Sewa in Sikhism

"Cursed are those hand who do not perform good deeds"

khalsa aid, Sikhs promote sewa equality this is shown in khalsa aid as it helps all and this is done all by volunteers! they follow the teaching of Guru Gobind Singh Ji "recognise the human race as one"

Tolerance of other religions

Guru Nanak Dev ji had two friends bhai Bhala ji and Bhai Mardana ji who were Muslim and Hindu which shows the Sikh tolerance of all religions. On this topic you can add that the 6th Guru, Guru Hargobind ji helped make a mosque for muslims as they had no where to pray and Guru TeghBhadhar ji gave his life to defend the Hindus and allow them to have the right to worship freely.

Sikhism has Teachings for all

Guru Nanak Dev ji said if your a muslim be a good muslim, if your a hindu be a good hindu similarly the same message is given to Sikhs

some may ask about the kirpan etc and you could explain that the reason why only amritdahri sikhs have a kirpan is because they have that mentality to use it wisely and are following the path of the Gurus. the kirpan is only there to defend their faith and their rights and the rights of others. Its normally used as a last resort.

Veer ji thank you for your suggestions I will definitely add the points you made thank you for taking your time out to reply

I'm a sister LOL haha

and no problem !

I just thought i'd add that you could mention the importance of Guru Granth Sahib ji because obviously as Sikhs that's our focal point!

You could add things like, there's so much poetry which is from people from other religion and from higher and lower castes!

A really good point to add is the thing that Sikhs do not feel the urge to convert people because many white people that ive spoke to actually admire this thought as its very different from majority of the religions.

Talk about the meaning of the word Sikh! A Sikh is a learner and you will learn all your life

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

BASICS!!!!

Always remember that what you take as granted for knowledge of Sikhi, others may not know. Some basic history to explain the origins of Sikhi, the outer appearance, Mool Mantar (which is the root of all Gurbani summarized), Gurudwara/Sangat/Langar. Adding your personal experience as a Sikh helps the audience relate to the material at hand. That should be more than enough.

How to tackle questions - what you present is what you would be asked on, so know that and a bit more. Expect comparison questions (how is Sikhi different from Christianity/Islam etc.) and be honest and not make things up - tell them that you don't know. If someone asks a deeply spiritual question and you don't know the answer to it, be honest and respond that you don't know. If this is a place where you can take another person with you while presenting, they can also assist as needed with the questions (you can refer to them).

Dear Jas Singh Jee,

first of all congrats for such a nice topic you have chosen.

Well sikh awareness(Gurmat), is first of all a relation of love, between a soul(Gursikh) and Guru Jee(Guru Sahibans).

In this relation, the gursikh gives up himself, that is his mind, his body and wealth....he keeps nothing for himself. In order, that, his mind may not be an obstacle in his pursuit of the Truth

Not that Guru Jee,needs them, but because attachment to them, are the root cause of our "chaurasee ka chakar".

Because, if haume is submitted, then the path is smoother. So first of all the Gursikh, adorns himself with the jewel of humility, and this virtue attracts Grace from the Lord, who then bestows, love and devotion(Gurparsad) for His Lotus feet, in return.

Then when the Gursikh, walks faithfully according to Gurmat, the result in the end is, freedom from the cycle of births and deaths, and this means, our union with our heavenly father Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

And this union, is not something to be achieved after death, but very much possible, in this very life. It all depends, how sincerely we devote ourselves in His remeberance.

The basic common factor in almost all religions is the same, but due to mamaat, it has been driven out of sight. And this factor, is none other than Naam or Shabad, but very much present in Sikhee.

The christians call it the "Word", "Holy Ghost" or "Logos"; the chinese call it "Tao", the muslims call it "Kun". The hindus call it "Akashee Bani".

As said before, the manipulative humans have rubbed off, this essence, and are thus wandering aimlessly. All our Granth Sahib Maharaj, as per the Banis of our Guru Sahibans, and the Bhagats, lay importance on this Conscious Power(Shabad), which is within each and everyone of us. They say we(our souls) are like a ray, of that Supreme Soul or Parmatma.

But due to some reasons, like mind, and kaal, we have been kept as prisoners trapped here in the creation, far from our true home Sach Khand.

So, if we want to get reunited with Him, our True Father, there is a way....

Not man ways, like pilgrimages, fastings, idol worship, etc....in one word, outer ways.

Bhagats, Sant Janas, Guru Sahibans, tell us again and again, He whom you all search, is not outside, but within you. So naturally the way taking us to Him, is also to be travelled within us.

That way or path is called Nam Simran, by our Guru Sahibans. Nam is the only vehicle, which can free us from this mayavee creation, and take us back Home. That is why the Bani reffering to this path, says : Nanak Nam Jahaz hae. Guru sahibans does not say, do many diffrent things, but clearly says, that Nam is the only vehicle to take our souls back to Him, and not only that, but become one with Him, without any distiction.

Through the constant practice of Gurmat, making it our lifestyle, we become pure, paviter, balanced at all times, and in a simple way, affordable for all ages and genders, without any discomfort or danger for our lives, realize Him, within this very human body, which is also reffered as the temple of the Living God, or Gurudwara, where the Aad Guru(Satnam) resides and is to be found.

This is the very purpose of Sikhee, or Sikh Awareness, our union with Wahiguru Akal Purukh, through love and devotion to His Naam alone.

Sat Sree Akal.