Interested In Sikhi

cmds

Hi everyone,

Just came across this website as I was trying to find out some information about a local gurdwara and thought I'd put some of my queries on here as I'm actually really nervous to go to the gurdwara and wouldn't know the etiquette or who would be able to answer my questions there.

I'm really interested in Sikhi but I don't know how I should go about things. I believe in the ten gurus and the Sikh philosophy and I don't owe allegiance to any other religion. I'm really inspired by the message of Sikhi but I don't know what to do about it, should I become Sikh? Can I become Sikh? I'm white and although I'm aware of Guru's teaching to treat the human race as one, I personally am not aware of any Sikh who isn't Punjabi so I'm not even sure about whether I can become Sikh. If I'm able, I'm also worried how the Sikh community will feel about me, do you think I would be welcomed or would they think I'm a joke?

I believe in all the Sikh beliefs and values and would love to connect to Waheguru - truly I believe I was brought up without a religion so that I can come to find the truth myself and I truly believe in the teachings of Guru ji. I want to do seva and feel so happy I have found true meaning through the teachings of Guru - I'm just not sure what I should do? Can I become Sikh? How do I do this? How do you think I will be received by the community?

I really love Waheguru and want to start following this path as it is a path of love I just don't know much information about how to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance guys

Hi everyone,

Just came across this website as I was trying to find out some information about a local gurdwara and thought I'd put some of my queries on here as I'm actually really nervous to go to the gurdwara and wouldn't know the etiquette or who would be able to answer my questions there.

I'm really interested in Sikhi but I don't know how I should go about things. I believe in the ten gurus and the Sikh philosophy and I don't owe allegiance to any other religion. I'm really inspired by the message of Sikhi but I don't know what to do about it, should I become Sikh? Can I become Sikh? I'm white and although I'm aware of Guru's teaching to treat the human race as one, I personally am not aware of any Sikh who isn't Punjabi so I'm not even sure about whether I can become Sikh. If I'm able, I'm also worried how the Sikh community will feel about me, do you think I would be welcomed or would they think I'm a joke?

I believe in all the Sikh beliefs and values and would love to connect to Waheguru - truly I believe I was brought up without a religion so that I can come to find the truth myself and I truly believe in the teachings of Guru ji. I want to do seva and feel so happy I have found true meaning through the teachings of Guru - I'm just not sure what I should do? Can I become Sikh? How do I do this? How do you think I will be received by the community?

I really love Waheguru and want to start following this path as it is a path of love I just don't know much information about how to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance guys

Some useful links

http://www.newtosikhi.com/group/gurdwaraetiquette/forum/topics/top-tips-for-going-to-the

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Visiting_a_Gurdwara

http://sikhism.about.com/od/gurdwaras/tp/Gurdwara.htm

Ethnicity or background isn't a barrier to becoming a Sikh, and providing you follow basic etiquette (head covered, shoes & socks removed, clean body and not having recently consumed alcohol or tobacco) there won't be an issue. I don't know where you live or how helpful (or even knowledgable ) local Sikhs will be so perhaps you could post where you are from and there may be some local Sikh you age who could get in contact with you to provide more guidance?

Good luck on your journey!