Khushwant Singh's Article

JSingh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I read an article by Khuswant Singh though the message at sikhnet discussion forum at the link below:

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/discussion....45?OpenDocument

and posted the following reply, however, it was rejected by the moderators by saying that reference from another discussion forum is not valid regarding Khushwant Singh's views on hair that i put on quotes that i found from another website (this website is the heavy supporter of Kala Afghana). I remember reading Khushwant Singh's these views at American Sikhs yahoo group, but I could not find the post there. so i used the link that is in the post below.

so the sole reason of my writing this message here is that does anyone know the valid referece to Khushwant Singh's views on hair that where it appeard the first time, in a book, or article, or something else???? Below is my reply to the article on the link above where u can find khushwant singh's views on hair:

------------------------------------

I read this article. There is nothing special in it. We may say its good cuz he said something that some of us like to hear about Indira Rani. So what? This is the technique that these kind of writers use to bring you to some points where you agree with him and you start thinking that whatever this person is saying is all true, and along the line later on as you keep reading he says something that we did not expect, and due to the previous agreements it makes us think for a white that his this point that we do

not agree with, is also true. This is what Khushwant Singh did. Most of the poeple said he is a Sikh, but he is not. This is what he thinks about hair:

“As CHILDREN WE were not encouraged to ask too many questions about religion. The last Guru had ordained that Sikhs must never cut hair on any part of their bodies, not eat Kosher {halaal} meat, smoke or consume tobacco in any form. And that was that. Men who clipped their beards or moustaches were automatically ostracized as patits (renegades). The observance of ritual and prayer were also laid down. If you recited the five prescribed prayers (nitneym) you were a good boy; if you did not, you were an urchin. Since I could recite my morning and evening prayers by rote and at times sang a shabad or two in the Gurdwara, I was my grandmother's favorite grandchild.

Till I was fifteen I liked wearing my hair long. There was nothing effeminate about it. Ours was a macho creed of the Khalsa and our warrior Guru had ordained that long hair was sacred. When hair began to sprout on my face and genitals I began to question its sanctity. I used depilatory cream to remove my pubic hair and thought women without it and hair in their armpits, as portrayed in marble statuary, looked more fetching than those with bushy growths between their thighs in dirty picture-postcards. Thus the first dogmas I BEGAN TO QUESTION WERE THESE EXTERNAL EMBLEMS OF SIKH SEPARATENESS: THEY APPEARED TO ME TO BE AS SUPERFLUOUS AS SUPERFLUOUS HAIR ON THE BODY; THEY HAD NO SPIRITUAL CONTENT. I continued to retain the outward emblems of the Khalsa not because of any conviction but out of a wish to remain a part of the Khalsa fraternity. The sense of belonging gave me a sense of social security, as it does to this day.”

http://sadapunjab.codeshake.com/forum/topi...asp?TOPIC_ID=11

In the artile, Khushwant wrote,

"Bhindranwale was a thug, a fanatic, and he fought like a fanati

c and didn't give in. The battle instead of two hours lasted two days and nights. And with a heavy toll."

After reading his comments on hair above, one can easily see how much he knows and understands Sikh History, despite the fact he has written books on Sikhi. Even McLeod has written sooo many books, but it does not mean he understands the essense of Sikhi. This is the same case here with Khushwant. I read his article a long time ago on the internet where he said, if he had the choice, he would accept Rajnish Osho his Guru. Now he is calling Sant Jarnail Singh Ji a "thug" and "fanatic" who did not "give in", but he is completly ignoring the fact that Sikhs have ALWAYS faught bravely and preferred achieving martyrdom rather than running away from the battle field. This is a Sikh Tradition right from Gurus' period "soora so pehchaniye jo larey deen ke hait, purja purja kat marey kabhu na chhadey khet" It is so chickenish that he thinks of Sant Ji to run away and leave the battle field. He is totally unaware of Sikh Spirit.

------------------------

If anyone knows where he wrote this about hair, please post.

Thanks.

Somebody told me that he was ok before 1984, but after that he turned agaist Sikhs and Sikhi, probably to save his a$$ from indian government. He said himself in his article (or the interview) that Indira was used to put anyone in jail whoever spoke agaisnt her, but she did not do anything to Khushwant Singh cuz he had done alot for her and her son. This proves 2 things: 1) He was already her puppet and 2) He had his hidden motives to disguise as a Sikh and portray us as criminals.

Dont worri. hes gonna get his deserts aswell. Im jus thinkin wher all the singhs are that used to fight back against these people. Coz we never used to take this before and now its an everyday occurence. I know i cant do nothing but there are ANKHI Singhs or KHARKOOS who would give their life to get rid of these nusiances. Where are the Singh SoormeY/