Sikhi And Norse/greek Paganism

Balkaar

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

As I understand it, Gurbani is quite open to the idea that the Hindu deities exist (albeit in not as exalted a state as the Hindus believe) in certain realms of the universe.

Is Gurbani also receptive to the idea that the gods of Greek and Norse Paganism may be real?

There are a good many parallels between the Gods and myths of Indic and European paganism. A thunder God (Indra, Thor) defeating a great serpent who forms a circle to contain the waters of the world, a sun God (Surya, Helios, Sol) who rides across the sky in a chariot, and a great many more.

If anyone well versed in the intricacies of Gurbani could provide some insight on the matter, I would be grateful. I would also appreciate the views of those familiar with Paganism.

Would it be anti-Gurmat to incorporate a Pagan reverence of nature into one's practice of Sikhi. I often feel like I wish I could demonstrate my love for the natural world through some spiritually-charged action (humans have an innate need for ceremony and ritual after all).

I feel that ultimately idol worship and paganism etc are going against the fundamental One God in Sikhism. I don't think there is any comprise in the Gurbani for worshiping or praying to any other particular God or God's aside from the One and only watching over us. I don't think there is anything wrong with feeling one with nature since God created everything and feeling a spiritual connection with the elements and surroundings is good for the mind and soul. I am not a schooled Sikh by no means.

I don't want to sound dismissive/ patronizing/offensive but simran is the best form of worship and shows love for all forms. Also Gurbani I think tries to use this awe and connection we all feel about nature, to turn us to God. Whose manifestation it is, after all. For example, 'Balhari Kudrat Basya' and 'Pavan guru pabi pita' and all those shabads about basant and in basant Raag. Also all those references to greenery hariaaval n blossoming. Also every mahapurukh I know even bhai randheer Singh talks about how their simran/avastha/concentration soars when surrounded by nature.I have also heard that nature loves hearing gurbani/simran that where gurbani was sung there is more fruit/greenery that animals will come listen. Of course the latter is at high avasthas.

We call them devtay/devis the greeks and romans called them gods, but they are the same thing.

These devtay have existed since beginning of time as written in the many texts. Guru Granth Sahib Ji also talks of them.

In time they have been known by different names but they are the same.

The king of the Devtay is Indar. He is known as Zeus by the greeks and as Jupiter by the romans. but he is the same entity. Same with a lot of the others.

Shivji carries a tarsul/ three pronged spear, this is depicted in greek and roman mythology.

If you dig a little deep a lot of the stories are very similar.

Bhaji, we are Sikhs and we believe in The One. There is no compromise here, none !

We believe in Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji (same thing take your choice, same jyote) and me bow to none other, we believe on none other.

You may have interest in these tales, I for one am fascinated by the Mahabharat. But this is only an interest, no more, we do not incorporate any other belief system , believe only in Guru's bani and none else.

You do your paath as proscribed by your father Guru Gobind Singh Ji and you do simran with every breath you take (or as much as you can), you see Him in all people and treat all people as one, no one is low no one is high , you think only good of all people, everything is in His hukam and you stick to the Gurus path, your salvation is in following Gurus Bachan.

Guest Jacfsing2

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

As I understand it, Gurbani is quite open to the idea that the Hindu deities exist (albeit in not as exalted a state as the Hindus believe) in certain realms of the universe.

Is Gurbani also receptive to the idea that the gods of Greek and Norse Paganism may be real?

There are a good many parallels between the Gods and myths of Indic and European paganism. A thunder God (Indra, Thor) defeating a great serpent who forms a circle to contain the waters of the world, a sun God (Surya, Helios, Sol) who rides across the sky in a chariot, and a great many more.

If anyone well versed in the intricacies of Gurbani could provide some insight on the matter, I would be grateful. I would also appreciate the views of those familiar with Paganism.

Would it be anti-Gurmat to incorporate a Pagan reverence of nature into one's practice of Sikhi. I often feel like I wish I could demonstrate my love for the natural world through some spiritually-charged action (humans have an innate need for ceremony and ritual after all).

They could exist, but they would exist less than humans do, or even GurSikhs: example, if Zeus ever tried to kill a Sikh he would probably lose, because only Guru Sahib is great. (If you wear some mythological stories, they're not the people worth worshiping at all). An example is that Zeus was a sex addict, Hades raped Persephone, and Poseidon raped Medusa, the tritons, (before the Olympians) were just really hungry that they ate their own kids. So there is a lot of strange stuff in mythology.