Dal Khalsa to begin anti-migrant drive in Punjab

Guest Jahan

It is high time this useless Hindu law was abolished in Punjab! I've come across plenty of Sikhs and Punjabi Hindus who eat beef, so why there is even this law in the first place is beyond me....

Dal Khalsa wants cow slaughter ban to be lifted

Tribune News Service

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20041128/...8/punjab1.htm#4

Chandigarh, November 27

The Dal Khalsa wants ban on cow slaughter to be lifted in Punjab "strictly for financial reasons". In fact, the organisation is in favour of setting up cow slaughter houses in the state.

The Dal members also want enactment of laws "to check the flow and settlement of migrants in the state".

The opening of Wagah border for trade purposes is also included in their list of demands, along with intervention of NGOs and social groups in the proposed police Bill.

Addressing a press conference, the Dal members asserted that the Pakistan Sikh Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (PSGPC) was a "statutory body" and recognition from the SGPC was not required.

Giving details of their demands, the members said lifting ban on cow slaughter would go a long way in the uplift of farmers, struggling to repay loans. It would also check suicides among farmers.

They added that the farmers already had the infrastructure and could keep cows without spending additional money.

"It would fetch good rates. As of now, the farmers were abandoning their cattle at lonely places", they said.

"Mo

reover, stray cattle was resulting in road accidents".

Clarifying that their intention was not to hurt the religious sentiments of any community, the Dal's general secretary Kanwarpal Singh said the move would boost beef export, besides promoting leather and pharmaceutical industry in the region.

He added that already in nine states there was no ban on cow slaughter, while in two other states it was partially imposed.

He asserted that the opening of the Wagah border for trade purposes would not only encourage trade, but result in increasing cultural co-operation between the countries.

Elaborating upon his contention, he said at present the trade was being carried out via Mumbai and Gujarat ports. Opening of the Wagah border would help Punjab farmer to sell his produce in Iran, Iraq and Arab countries.

Regarding the inflow of migrants, he said the number of outsiders holding jobs was increasingly significantly, while Punjabis were being forced to leave the state for jobs in other countries.

Otherwise also, over 2 million migrants had settled down in the state "threatening" the demographic structure in the process, they claimed.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Jeez.. that sounds pretty crazy.

We're all trying to be pro immigrant in all our countries outside India, and here we have our own, Sikhs of all people, trying to ban others from entering their state.

I just can't stand the "lets blame the foreigners" attitude, no matter where it is.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I agree with you, Khalsa4ever veerji.

But, what the Dal Khalsa is doing is:

1. asking all migrant workers to get registered

2. dismantel the chopris, and stop the pollution (if that is to be done, Dal Khalsa has to find a way of proper housing for the migrant workers)

3. some quotas on how many labourers can enter

Just imagine if US had "free immigration" the way Punjab has: in matter of 5-10 years the whole USA would be filled with asians and mexicans, with little or no functional administration and consequences for the political setup.

I agree that we SHOULD NOT BAN those poor people, but there have to be some laws that protect both them and the 'Punjabi setup'.

Ensure work for Punjab labour, Mann asks CM

Tribune News Service

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20041121/...1/punjab1.htm#6

Sangrur, November 20

Mr Simranjit Singh Mann, President of the Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar), today asked the Punjab Government to enact a law for ensuring 100 per cent employment to Punjabi labourers in the industry and agriculture sectors of the state.

Addressing a press conference here today, Mr Mann said the Punjab Chief Minister, Capt Amarinder Singh, should table a Bill in the Punjab Assembly, ensuring 100 per cent employment in the industry and agriculture sectors for Punjabi labourers. He said no migrant labourer should be employed in the industrial and agriculture sectors in the state till the adjustment of all Punjabi labourers in both these sectors.

Mr Mann suggested that identification and documentation of the migrant labour should be done because in the garb of labourers, many criminals had also descended on the land of Punjab. He said no migrant labourer should be given employment in the state without police verification. He said the state government should make these suggestions a part of the Bill, as sought by him, while working out the modalities of the Bill.

Mr Mann asked the President and the Prime Minister of Pakistan not

to talk about the cause of Kashmiris alone and also raise issues of Sikhs with the Indian Government. He said the Pakistan Prime Minister, who is visiting India, should talk about Sikh genocide in the country as he felt there was no MP of Sikhs in Parliament who could raise the issues.

Mr Mann told mediapersons that the SAD(A) had constituted a committee to probe the circumstances in which the wife of Sherpur MLA Gobind Singh Kanjhla died a few months ago.

Mr Mann talking rubbish again. Ask most Punjabi farmers why they employ Bihari labour and they will tell you that Punjabi labour demands high wages and on the whole they are lazy. You can get Biharis to work their socks off for a decent wage.

I agree with you, Khalsa4ever veerji.

But, what the Dal Khalsa is doing is:

1. asking all migrant workers to get registered

2. dismantel the chopris, and stop the pollution (if that is to be done, Dal Khalsa has to find a way of proper housing for the migrant workers)

3. some quotas on how many labourers can enter

Just imagine if US had "free immigration" the way Punjab has: in matter of 5-10 years the whole USA would be filled with asians and mexicans, with little or no functional administration and consequences for the political setup.

I agree that we SHOULD NOT BAN those poor people, but there have to be some laws that protect both them and the 'Punjabi setup'.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Thanks for the clarification.

I will agree that some controls are required, but its always a fine-line...

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

The Dal Khalsa's drive comes soon after the arrest of "baby-killer" Darbara Singh in neighbouring Jalandhar district, who allegedly killed 17 children -- all belonging to migrants -- in less than 10 months in Punjab.

He allegedly even sexually abused some of them, saying that he had committed the crimes to settle scores with migrants.

It's pathetic how everyone jumped on the article calling the party "Radical" but nobody bothered to bring up this disgusting act of ethnic cleansing, if the shoe was on the other foot and some Gujrati had done this to Sikh migrants in Gujrat all of you would quickly have pounced on this news, you're no better than hindus in this regard, also quick to report acts of racism against Sikhs abroad but are as intolerant of immigrants as they are when they come to Punjab, how anti-Sikh!! There are also stories of Biharis who have CONVERTED to Sikhism to escapte the oppressive confines of the caste system which you all fail to mention, instead of creating divides, how about doing something that's actually in accordance of Sikhi and instead fight for rights for Sikhs to freely migrate and purchase land in other States where there are opressive laws denying these rights instead of following in their facist footsteps? :wub:

I am sure if Bhagat Puran Singh Ji was alive he would do everything he could do to make the situation better for those poor migrants who have settled down in Punjab or are living there for jobs etc.

Actually, hundreds of different kinds of people have migrated/settled in Punjab throughout history. We should not ban them, but offcourse there should be some laws regulating their activities. They should be allowed to be come punjabis, if they want! At present, as i see the situation, there is racial prejudice among Jatts and other well-settled Punjabi folks against migrants-workers.

But unfortunately, this thinking (helping migrant-workers) is in conflict with the thought of creating a seperate Sikh state, Khalistan. So, once again, some will find hard to follow both the principles of a Khalsa, and being a Khalistani.

My personal opinion is: first be a Khalsa, a "Khalistan" will appear itself.

So, if someone here is willing, i propose that alongside wanting human rights for Sikhs (from 84, and 90s), we should also set plans for a healtier and prosperous Punjab. If Dal Khalsa wants to distroy cho(n)pris, they have to make sure the workers get proper housing. You can't ask a beggar for money, it should be the other way around!

Now...my post above is a bit too idealistic. Lets be a bit more practical. why is there a problem here? simply because well-educated punjabi youth in the cities is unemployed. There are jobs, but they don't want to do those jobs and when a migrant-worker takes over that job and gets some money, people shout: ban the bihari bahya!

Something is really messed up with my homeland (if someone is n

ot from Punjab..i am not refering to you guys)....there is huge problems with drug-addiction, there is fimale-fetocide, there is unemployment and there are large colonies of migrant-workers flourishing in all major cities, which also provokes racial voilence.

Is there any Bhagat Puran Singh left out there? is there any bhagat who will say all these poor souls (the unemployed, the migrant, the drug-addict, the baby-killer)???

think of these issues before you go out fighting for something idealistic that may (or may not) worsen the whole situation.

and that "darbara" guy mentioned by Truth_Sikher, is no better than a devil incarnated in a human-body (mythologically said that is).

Devilish Darbara @ The Tribune

bhul chuk maaf