An Amritdhari Working In A Restaurant That Serves Meat And Alchohal

Guest confused

Guest confused

I know it is completely wrong if an amritdhari person is even touching sharab/beer/wines.

But what positive views you can share if someone who is amritdhari with his/her Kirpan concealed and is working in a restaurant that serves meat and alcohol. And that person does not consume any of that stuff.

Same question with gursikhs who own gas stations and other stores and tobacco and cigarettes, beer etc are sold in their stores but they dnt consume any of that stuff but for business they have keep those products in stores for sales..

What are your views about both of these scenarios.

Gurbani has got a sakhi on this topic which is on one of the bhagats (sadna) whose profession was a butcher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagat_Sadhana

https://www.searchgurbani.com/bhagats/bhagat_sadhna

There is another sakhi but I am not sure which bhagat. Have to look for it but he was saved because he worked in the open where there were many sadhus going to darshan. The dust from the feet of these sadhus fell on his body continuously and thus he was liberated. ( He also had some sort of profession where I think he made some slippers out of animal skin for people)

Whatever your profession it is important to go to the Guradwara as that is where the dust from the feet of the saints is and where true liberation can be gained from.

An mp3 recording on the topic

http://khalsaonline.net/Mp3/Katha/file.php?p=1&file=load/Katha/Giani%20Sant%20Singh%20Ji%20Maskeen/Giani%20Sant%20Singh%20Ji%20Maskeen%20-%20Bhagat%20Sadhna%20Ji/Giani%20Sant%20Singh%20Ji%20Maskeen-Bhagat%20Sadhna%20Ji%20.mp3&sort=0

I know it is completely wrong if an amritdhari person is even touching sharab/beer/wines.

No one sent that memo:

There are a fair few Amritdharis and keshdhari Sikhs that own Off Licences (liquor store) in the UK.

One of the weirdest things I've witnessed was on Southall Broadway on Vasaikhi when I went into an offy to get my young nephew a drink during a nagar kirtan and saw an old Amritdhari baba sitting behind the counter watching a kirtan program on TV surrounded by alcohol and sitting behind a rack of cigarettes. The incongruity was disorientating for me.

All the shops in our areas sell alcohol and they play shabad kirtan and sukhmani sahib as well in their shops. They hand out cigarettes as well to their customers. The shopkeepers are sikh guys with turban and open dhari. This is from where we get our normal supplies of yoghurt, bread and milk too.

In our area there must be about 4 or 5 shops practicing this.

All the shops in our areas sell alcohol and they play shabad kirtan and sukhmani sahib as well in their shops. They hand out cigarettes as well to their customers. The shopkeepers are sikh guys with turban and open dhari. This is from where we get our normal supplies of yoghurt, bread and milk too.

In our area there must be about 4 or 5 shops practicing this.

Whereabouts are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Hounslow area. I think this trend has sort of come when refugees from the country of Afganistan came in. They do have odd habits. They have meat in their shops for lunch and they sit and eat from one plate.

They have dastar and beards as well but they also dont mind having alcohol in their shops to sell.

They go to the guradwara as well and are very religious - but their habits are just sort of very different.

When a person gets maharaj dhi kirpa then they start becoming conscious about doing such deeds. When you start to become closer to God, then you want to do what will keep you pure. Until that desire does not spring from within the heart about sucham and purity, then we keep on having our double standards.

Eventually I think the light does creep in. We used to have fried eggs for breakfast every sunday. Then when we started going to the guradwara regularly - my mum just stopped buying them. We thought it was not good for us to eat eggy breakfast and then go to the guradwara.

Such people can be made aware of what they are doing is not particularly very right. At the end of the day however, it is the inner conscious that develops and as it gets stronger we stop having double standards.

Double standards are not a winner with God. mun nahi preet mukho gand lavaat. LIke sukhmani sahib says - they dont have love for God in their hearts and they pretend with words that they love God.

jananhaar Prabhu parbeen. bhahar dhekh na kahu bheen. God knows about it and you cannot fool him from the outside. He sees right through into the heart and mind. People can be fooled with words - not God.

When we accept God within our hearts, our outsides will also start to reflect his glory. We will stop displaying these double standards.

Hounslow area. I think this trend has sort of come when refugees from the country of Afganistan came in. They do have odd habits. They have meat in their shops for lunch and they sit and eat from one plate.

Nah, it was common way before they came. In East London a certain Panjabi Sikh family dominated the booze supply business (they were famous for it), I worked at one of their warehouses as a teenager and sometimes used to help on deliveries all over the south-east.

I met hordes of Panjabi apnay that were like we are describing (although they stopped short of playing Gurbani whilst I was ever around). In the 80s and 90s Sikh Panjabis dominated the Offy trade until new comers like Turks and whatnot came in. A lot of apnay made their fortunes through supplying sharaab and tamaco. Even when I was at uni, a fair few apnay's families owned offys.

Don't get it twisted.

But what positive views you can share if someone who is amritdhari with his/her Kirpan concealed and is working in a restaurant that serves meat and alcohol. And that person does not consume any of that stuff.

Same question with gursikhs who own gas stations and other stores and tobacco and cigarettes, beer etc are sold in their stores but they dnt consume any of that stuff but for business they have keep those products in stores for sales..

What are your views about both of these scenarios.

Start your own Eatery

http://www.peta.org/living/food/best-vegan-food-trucks/

https://www.facebook.com/isheregglessbakers

http://www.franchiseindia.net/business-opportunities/food-and-beverage/all/all/

Nah, it was common way before they came. In East London a certain Panjabi Sikh family dominated the booze supply business (they were famous for it), I worked at one of their warehouses as a teenager and sometimes used to help on deliveries all over the south-east.

I met hordes of Panjabi apnay that were like we are describing (although they stopped short of playing Gurbani whilst I was ever around). In the 80s and 90s Sikh Panjabis dominated the Offy trade until new comers like Turks and whatnot came in. A lot of apnay made their fortunes through supplying sharaab and tamaco. Even when I was at uni, a fair few apnay's families owned offys.

Don't get it twisted.

Only been here since the last decade. Where I lived in Kenya, Sikhs loved to eat and drink whatever. Going to the Guradwara was like at weddings and other ceremonies. The Guradwaras there are empty otherwise. The committee members as well just came in on the designated meeting days.

However I remember when they called Daler Mendhi to do kirtan. That day the whole Guradwara was full. Absolutely no free sitting space. People were actually standing below to just listen to shabads. The ladies were called in to make some more fulke for the extra sangat at 12 at night before they left to go home.

We want money and more money. We want a better life - full of luxuries. The Guru gives it to us, but we have forgotten the Guru and that is why we are now suffering. Our girls turn 30 and do not want to get married for they have all the money they want and do not understand seva or what marriage is all about. No one took the time to talk to them about it. Our boys dont know how to treat the girls. Kids get left without parents when such people divorce. However we have all the money - and all its benefits.

If only we had asked for the Guru's blessings and followed his words too - we would be much more happier.