Sikh Without Jatha

Guest singhqa

Guest singhqa

VJKK VJKF!

I am new to Sikhi and do not have a 'jatha'. I understand there are various jathas that bless their sangat with Amrit, each with their interpretation of the rehat that the baptised should follow.

For example, common difference include:

• Keski v Kes
  • Some allow Amrit to be blessed on those without Amritdhari spouses
  • Only consumption of food prepared by Amritdharis v not eating the 'leftovers' of non-amritdharis - the latter being not concerned with who prepared the food
  • Consumption of tea / coffee v it being forbidden
  • etc etc

I have no jatha as mentioned below. In my opinion, giving your head to the Guru and adopting the prescribed rehat are the only things that matter. However, given the large variance in interpretation, I am concerned as to what is actually according to Guru Rehat and what has been modified etc. over time. All I wish to get the blessing of is Amrit and uphold it with the blessing of the Guru. I do not want any hankaar in 'picking' the jatha and amrit requirements that best suit my desired lifestyle.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Guest Jacfsing2

VJKK VJKF!

I am new to Sikhi and do not have a 'jatha'. I understand there are various jathas that bless their sangat with Amrit, each with their interpretation of the rehat that the baptised should follow.

For example, common difference include:

• Keski v Kes
  • Some allow Amrit to be blessed on those without Amritdhari spouses
  • Only consumption of food prepared by Amritdharis v not eating the 'leftovers' of non-amritdharis - the latter being not concerned with who prepared the food
  • Consumption of tea / coffee v it being forbidden
  • etc etc
I have no jatha as mentioned below. In my opinion, giving your head to the Guru and adopting the prescribed rehat are the only things that matter. However, given the large variance in interpretation, I am concerned as to what is actually according to Guru Rehat and what has been modified etc. over time. All I wish to get the blessing of is Amrit and uphold it with the blessing of the Guru. I do not want any hankaar in 'picking' the jatha and amrit requirements that best suit my desired lifestyle.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

First of all, Jatha's can't bless people with Amrit, only the Satguru and Punj Pyare can. Accept whatever Rehat the Punj Pyare give you as the basics and from there build your own Rehat, (with the foundation being the Punj Pyare Rehat). Also I'd consider the Amrit "correct", if Punj Pyare say all of the Punj Banis, (Jap Ji, Jaap, Swaiya, Chaupai, and Anand), and if they also give Amrit equally to everyone; (no Kirpan Di Amrit)