Baba Vadbagh Singh ji

"Vadhbhag Singh was born into a Khatri Sodhi family in the city of Kartarpur. A direct descendant of Guru Hargobind, he belonged to the lineage of Dhirmal & his heretical group, the Dhirmalias. Vadhbhag Singh’s family had by this time, reconciled with the main body of Sikhs (1)

Vadhbhag Singh became the leader of Kartarpur—a city in Doaba established by Guru Arjan Dev (to be distinguished from the separate Kartarpur established by Guru Nanak), with Gurdwara Thamm Sahib. In 1757, when Abdali invaded India, he sent his general Nasar Ali to Doaba (2)

Nasar Ali conquered Doaba for the Pathan forces under Abdali. He made Jalandhar his capital, and also paid a visit to the neighboring Kartarpur, where Vadhbhag Singh was born and now led. (3)

Nasar Ali captured Vadhbhag Singh and cruelly tortured him. He also razed the city of Kartarpur, slaughtering its civilians, burned its main Gurdwara Thamm Sahib to the ground, and defiling the sarovar with slaughtered cows.Vadhbhag Singh was able to escape to the nearby hills(4)

Vadhbhag Singh was angry at his failure to protect the holy Sikh site of Thamm Sahib (pictured here) and vowed outright vengeance upon Nasar Ali for his brutality and sacrilege (excerpts from Panth Parkash by Rattan Singh) (5)

Adina Beg Khan was an Arain Mughal Nawab who wanted to reclaim Jalandhar from Pathan clutches. He heard of Vadhbhag Singh and went to visit him in the hills. The two greeted each other with respectful religious greetings and decided to forge a military alliance for Jalandhar (6)

In exchange for Sikh support for the Mughals conquest of Doaba from the Pathans, Vadhbhag Singh got an oath from Adina Beg that he would be allowed to brutally pillage Jalandhar in eye-for-eye retribution for what the Pathans had done to Kartarpur and Gurdwara Thamm Sahib (7)

Vadhbhag Singh then appealed to the main Dal Khalsa (Khalsa army) at the time led by Jassa Singh Ahluwalia and stationed in Majha, for his purpose of avenging the destruction of the Gurdwara. The Dal Khalsa arrived to Vadhbhag Singh’s request (8)

The Dal Khalsa defeated the Pathan army defending Jalandhar. Upon this, knowing of the vengeance, fearful civilians appealed to Adina Beg for mercy on them. Afraid of Vadhbhag Singh, Adina Beg appealed to Jassa Singh of the Khalsa Army for mercy upon the civilians of Jalandhar(9)

Jassa Singh convened a Sarbat Khalsa to discuss this proposal, which Vadbhag Singh answered by swearing that he would kill himself and any Sikh who stopped him from totally destroying Jalandhar. At this, the Khalsa Army agreed to move forward with the original, brutal, plan (10)

In perhaps of the most merciless attacks by the Sikh army, all the surrendered Pathans in Jalandhar were slaughtered, and the entire city was sacked. Vadhbhag Singh only explicitly offered mercy to women & those who converted and became Sikhs on the spot (11)

In an act of personal retribution, Vadhbhag Singh dug up the tomb of Nasar Ali (the Afghan general who had tortured him and defiled Kartarpur) stuffed pork into his mouth as an act of sacrilege, and burnt his remains the same way he had burnt Gurdwara Thumm Sahib (12)

Following this, the Mughals under Adina Beg reclaimed custody of Jalandhar+Doaba, and formed an alliance with the Khalsa Army. Vadhbhag Singh retreated to the hills (in present day Himachel Pradesh) and lived the left of his life as an ascetic, starting a dera (13)

His hagiography includes him adopting a raksha (demon) as his first disciple. He is remembered affectionately as Baba Vadbhag Singh, and his dera is still established with many devotees, and as a place to receive exorcisms for spiritual possessions

Dunno whether I should say this but I was close to a Singh (not affiliated to any group or sect) who said he'd had darshan of Baba Vadbagh Singh during a period when the Singh was very ill, and he'd told him he was in the service of Dasme Paatshah. Obviously, no-one's going to believe it, but there you go. I assume the implication is to follow Dasme Paatshah's hukams. Singh moved to Australia a while ago, but he's doing very well health-wise. Clearly, no-one's arguing the followers and the representatives of the sect are to be trusted, because I've met a few, and trust me they're dodgy af.

39 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Dunno whether I should say this but I was close to a Singh (not affiliated to any group or sect) who said he'd had darshan of Baba Vadbagh Singh during a period when the Singh was very ill, and he'd told him he was in the service of Dasme Paatshah. Obviously, no-one's going to believe it, but there you go. I assume the implication is to follow Dasme Paatshah's hukams. Singh moved to Australia a while ago, but he's doing very well health-wise. Clearly, no-one's arguing the followers and the representatives of the sect are to be trusted, because I've met a few, and trust me they're dodgy af.

wow    shows baba vadbagh singh was a real singh and is at the sewa of guru gonbind singh ji. what more could a sikh ask for in the hereafter ? 

iv been to his dera sahib gurdwara in himachal and there is a lot of anti gurmat stuff happening there, but that doesnt mean that is what baba vadbagh singh taught his followers. look at the mess gurdware are in the uk, that doesnt mean that is what our gurus taught us. 

I'd imagine baba vadbagh singh read bani and wahguru simran to people who were possessed by spirits. according to ithiaas he even taught sikhi to demons and spirits.  But its obvious the wrong crowd and wrong type of "babeh" have now taken over his gurdwara. 

45 minutes ago, puzzled said:

wow    shows baba vadbagh singh was a real singh and is at the sewa of guru gonbind singh ji. what more could a sikh ask for in the hereafter ? 

iv been to his dera sahib gurdwara in himachal and there is a lot of anti gurmat stuff happening there, but that doesnt mean that is what baba vadbagh singh taught his followers. look at the mess gurdware are in the uk, that doesnt mean that is what our gurus taught us. 

I'd imagine baba vadbagh singh read bani and wahguru simran to people who were possessed by spirits. according to ithiaas he even taught sikhi to demons and spirits.  But its obvious the wrong crowd and wrong type of "babeh" have now taken over his gurdwara. 

The Singh was a uk born guy, and a mona at the time. Something had been "done" to him, if you know what I mean. His family took him to pandits and new age healers, and all sorts. He says someone suggested to go to someone's house who did maanta of BVS. He went for a while, listened to kirtan, said he liked it but he wasn't getting better. A few months pass, and he says he has a dream where he has darshan of BVS, who tells him to start japping naam on a regular basis; basically start a strict nitnem routine. Eventually, the guy says a few months of naam japna he felt compelled to take amrit. He becomes a Singh, starts to get seriously better with his "problem", and eventually his life sorts itself out. It's one of those rare happy endings, lol.

14 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

A few months pass, and he says he has a dream where he has darshan of BVS, who tells him to start japping naam on a regular basis; basically start a strict nitnem routine. Eventually, the guy says a few months of naam japna he felt compelled to take amrit.

i needed that lol       i recently started slacking in my simran and nitnem    

4 hours ago, puzzled said:

i needed that lol       i recently started slacking in my simran and nitnem    

Naam japna and taking Amrit is the basics of what Sikhs should aspire to. I'd be worried only if someone gets dodgy advice contrary to Sikh ethics, like start clubbing and increase intake of alcohol, lol, or more seriously, if a respected aatma says, "Worship only me." Like I said, no-one's going to believe it, but if one guy has started on the path of Sikhi and seems to have been saved from a painful and drawn out death, that's a positive imo. Who knows what wrongs have been righted in the afterlife? It's not up to us to second guess such things, and manufacture fantasy scenarios of our own based on our biases, because we really don't know much despite what we may think of ourselves. 

20 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

I believe you man.