Sign in to follow this  
singhbj singh

Spousal Relationships

Any married couple will have their ups and downs. Different religions and cultural traditions provide different solutions. The Guru Granth Sahib (p.143) states, “Should brass, gold or iron be broken, the smith fuses it back together in the fire. Should the husband and wife have a break of relations. Through children are their bonds forged again. The ruler when making a demand, by a tax is calmed. The hungry, by food are satisfied. With rain and inundating rivers is famine lifted. In love through sweet speech comes reunion”.

https://gurbaninow.com/shabad/398/5878

The Guru acknowledges that a relationship can become broken. However through their children, it is possible for a couple to find love again, and it is through love that they can overcome their difficulties.

http://www.wahegurunet.com/role-of-women-in-sikhism

• Like 1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Topics

• ਕਬੀਰ ਭਾਂਗ ਮਾਛੁਲੀ ਸੁਰਾ ਪਾਨਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਖਾਂਹਿ ॥
      ਹੇ ਕਬੀਰ! ਜੇ ਲੋਕ ‘ਭਗਤਨ ਸੇਤੀ ਗੋਸਟੇ’ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਤੀਰਥ-ਜਾਤ੍ਰਾ ਵਰਤ-ਨੇਮ ਆਦਿਕ ਭੀ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ ਤੇ ਉਹ ਸ਼ਰਾਬੀ ਲੋਕ ਭੰਗ ਮੱਛੀ ਭੀ ਖਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ ,
      Kabeer, those mortals who consume marijuana, fish and wine ਤੀਰਥ ਬਰਤ ਨੇਮ ਕੀਏ ਤੇ ਸਭੈ ਰਸਾਤਲਿ ਜਾਂਹਿ ॥੨੩੩॥
       ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਉਹ ਤੀਰਥ ਵਰਤ ਆਦਿਕ ਵਾਲੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਕਰਮ ਬਿਲਕੁਲ ਵਿਅਰਥ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ ।੨੩੩।
      - no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ||233|| SRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI - 1377 
      SALOK KABEER JEE BHAGAT KABEER JI
    • Technically Bang is neither a poison, toxin, or addictive. There is a reason its called Sukh and has a place within history of Sikhia.  The Guru Granth Sahib Ji says to avoid toxins, technically tea contains various poisons, if you drank enough it could kill you and its addictive. You'd have to drink a retarded amount to die, but just sayin nobody seems this triggered over cha.  I'd be asking myself where this hate of bang comes from?  When it was planted? Obviously wasn't there initially. 
    • Remember also  everyone is the soul bride of Waheguru Ji 
    • We are equal in the eyes of God because we are beneath him. It is looking at ants from our eyes. The problem with people is that they think that leadership is a privilege. It is not, it is a responsibility.  As the head of the family you may have the authority but that always comes with accountability. They go hand in hand. In families there is a pecking order, the children first, the women next and then the men. Men are the sacrificial gender, why in cases of emergency do they say "women and children first". A woman will sacrifice her life for her children but never for her husband. A man will sacrifice for both. Women who take leadership from her husband do it because they are forced into it or because the man is not up to it and the woman becomes resentful of her husband. 
    • I don’t see how you see this practice as a part of our ancestral history.  What I chose to do independently outside of Sikhi cannot be associated with Sikhi practices. Similar as to how dietary influence is largely down to the landscape and culture of the region you belong to.  The same is for narcotics which are largely taken due to cultural influence and availability to the region.  Just because I eat potato chips in England this does not mean my future generations should adopt this, and somehow associate this with my religious identity.  Your cultural practices can be altered, discarded and chosen but your religious practices can never change,  whether that be in the 18th Century or the 21st.   If you reword this with ‘medicinal, recreational drug use in the region of Punjab in the 17th-18th Century’, I would have no problem with this observation.  But as soon as someone quotes ‘Puratan Sikhs and use of Marijuana’, I am not comfortable with this!

Important Information

Terms of Use