How to live healthy acc to Sikhi?

Guest Guest Singh

Guest Guest Singh

Wjkk Wjkf

Sangat ji this post was better suited for the Health section but since I don't have an account I'm posting in Gupt.

I know how Sikhi regards fasting as a waste of effort and of no use. But this is in relation to bhagti. What about the health benefits of fasting? Do Guruji say anything about the health benefits of fasting or intermittent fasting?

Second, do Guru Maharaj tell us anything regarding what should be our lifestyle like in order to stay healthy? Other religions like Jainism and Hinduism have some specific suggestions in these regards, but not really Sikhi. (Please enlighten me if I'm wrong.)

I want to improve my health because I'm falling ill frequently of late. If I follow things like fasting or satvik diet strictly for body-cleansing purpose, will that be considered anti-Gurmat or unSikh, as this is Hindu/Jain/Buddhist stuff?

Apologies for the long post and multiple queries. Thanking in advance for your kind responses as always.

Wjkk Wjkf

On 7/7/2019 at 5:29 PM, Guest Guest Singh said:

Wjkk Wjkf

Sangat ji this post was better suited for the Health section but since I don't have an account I'm posting in Gupt.

I know how Sikhi regards fasting as a waste of effort and of no use. But this is in relation to bhagti. What about the health benefits of fasting? Do Guruji say anything about the health benefits of fasting or intermittent fasting?

Real interesting topic. Gurbani clearly tell us to restrain ourselves in the amount we eat and even sleep. I think fasting as a ritual that is considered to bring specific spiritual benefits is what Sikhi doesn't espouse, however other health benefits of limiting how much we eat (according to needs)  seem to be recommended? Obviously this shouldn't be used an an excuse to be purposefully underweight or anorexic.  

Recently I found an old account (late 1800s) by a gora army recruiter snooping around Panjab looking for colonial sepoys. Funnily enough, what it mentions in regard to farmers generally waking up and going out to work in the fields on an empty stomach is pretty much what we'd call intermittent fasting today!

Then there are all the pre 'annexation' accounts of Singhs by Europeans that explicitly mention Singh warriors not being remotely extravagant with food, even though they were living very physical and hardy (and even dangerous lives). Read Madra and Singh's - Siques, Tigers and thieves if you want to see these for yourself.

On 7/7/2019 at 5:29 PM, Guest Guest Singh said:

Second, do Guru Maharaj tell us anything regarding what should be our lifestyle like in order to stay healthy? Other religions like Jainism and Hinduism have some specific suggestions in these regards, but not really Sikhi. (Please enlighten me if I'm wrong.)

I want to improve my health because I'm falling ill frequently of late. If I follow things like fasting or satvik diet strictly for body-cleansing purpose, will that be considered anti-Gurmat or unSikh, as this is Hindu/Jain/Buddhist stuff?

I don't think anything is banned like that in terms of health. Personally I think people should experiment and find what suits them best individually if required. Just don't be behamy about it. 

Now if we experimented with some ayurvedic type diet solutions, that doesn't make us a Hindu, in as much as eating Chinese food makes us Chinese or Buddhist or whatever. 

That's just my opinion though. 

On 7/7/2019 at 7:29 PM, Guest Guest Singh said:

Wjkk Wjkf

I know how Sikhi regards infasting as a waste of effort and of no use. But this is in relation to bhagti. What about the health benefits of fasting? Do Guruji say anything about the health benefits of fasting or intermittent fasting?

Apologies for the long post and multiple queries. Thanking in advance for your kind responses as always.

Wjkk Wjkf

Just excerise and eat healthy. Our body is our temple. In