learning kirtan help

Guest BALBIR

HI, I need some help from the guru Sangat I hope someone can help me or advise me,I live birmgham iv been learning kirtan for many years now  but I have a question iv learnt so much shabads about 100-150 and I really want to learn it is my dream now is to do alaap in kirtan I dont know how to do that

and I think kirtan sounds really good with alaap 

I really want to do taans in kirtan too like "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaa" you know like the ragis 

but I dont know how to iv searched online but they are just teaching new shabads no one is teaching online how to do alaap in kirtan I would as my teacher but he died 

so please if anyone can help me can someone tell me how alaap is done in kirtan or give me notion of sometings please I need help thank you 

Guest GuptSingh

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh. 

I think the problem you're facing is caused because you are being taught compositions ie notations of shabads on there own. You need to learn how to sing properly and learn raag etc. not just the standalone composition. I would strongly recommend finding a knowledgeable teacher or possibly speaking to your current ustad ji regarding your concerns and see what they can do.