FROM THE FIELD: Relief Workers Reports

SaadhRayn Kaur

LIFE

(Dec 31 - Part 1)

By Navneet Singh, Volunteer and Team Leader for UNITED SIKHS

I spent all night yesterday, and all of today morning thinking about the Tsunami Disaster in Asia. With pictures of the wrath shown on CNN over and over again, with panic of another Tsunami coming and people running for their lives, my eyes became red and my heart skipped a beat. I couldn't think or feel anything for 60 seconds. Approx 120,000 people dead, with one third of them children, all gone in one day, just like that. It reminded me of the delicate times we are facing in today's world all around us but this was something really not imaginable.

With nothing else on my mind, I closed my eyes and did Ardaas and loudly the only words that came out from my lips were "Nanak Naam Chardi Kala, Tere Bhane Sarbat Da Bhala" and then I felt a drop fell on my hands.

From what I have learnt about who we are, I today realize that this is exactly what being a Sikh is all about, understanding humanity as equal and helping those in need, regardless of where they and whatever path of life they may follow. In this tradition of spirit, I feel this is the time and now is the moment, that we all need to open our minds to the tragedy that has left millions in pain.

I strongly believe that there are wonderful and amazing people in this world and I know I have met many in friends like you and our Atlanta community. I know there will be many of you who would want to help. I highly encourage all of the others to open up your hearts and wallets and take some part of you earnings to give and help the needy. It doesnt' matter if its $1000 dollars or $10, the point

is the willingness to open up and help. I can't imagine anyone not feeling the pains that people who survived this disaster are going through. None of us is going to take away a dime when our work is done on earth, this is the time when we all need to give.

Besides my financial contributions, I have decided to help by centrally being involved with the project. There are many wonderful organizations out there who have organized charity drives to collect money, I have joined hands with UNITED SIKHS, GHANAIA project. (http://www.unitedsikhs.org) If any of you want to help financially or want to be involved, please do not hesitate to reach out to me. I assure you, any and all of your contributions will be put to right use and cause.

Religion should not come in the way of humanity, it's time to play our role of human beings. Someone out there needs your help and financial support, let's not disappoint and walk away from this tragedy, let's not ignore this message.

This is a personal message to all, whom I consider a friend and my own sangat. Together let's make this LIFE worthwhile.

I see none as great as You, O Great Giver; You give in charity to the beings of all the continents, worlds, solar systems, nether regions and universes. - Guru Amar Das

With Prayers on my lips and Lord's Grace,

- Navneet Singh

LIFE -- Part Deux

(Jan 07 - Report 2)

"...One week later, I somehow find myself again reaching out to my family, friends and the community for strength regarding this horrible Tsunami tragedy.

Just like everyone, I did my part of contributing financially, however, I felt there's more that was needed and more that I need to do on a human level. Therefore I have decided to actually GO to as many disaster sites as possible to do everything I can to help all those suffering. - Banda Acheh in Indonesia, BattiCaloa in Sri Lanka and Andaman and Nicobar Islands in India, are some of the majority ones that need help.

This is something that I feel I need to do, to me this is exactly what life is about - just simply being a human being first. As a Sikh American, it is even more important for me to go do this, the true essence of a Sikh lies in helping others in their time of need. This is what has been instilled in me by my parents and this is what my faith tells me to do - "recognize and serve all human race as one", therefore I choose to go.

I have taken off the next couple weeks of my life (4-8 weeks - or however long it takes) to dedicate to the relief efforts and with full faith in life am ready to serve all who need it. Time is of the essence as I leave tomorrow for Southern India and will going as a project lead for 30 medical and general volunteers with UNITED SIKHS, a non-profit organization working for the betterment of humanity. I am extremely proud of the work UNITED SIKHS is implementing for the relief effort, it is not only inspirational but promotes more reasoning of why we all need t

o come together as a community and support our "own". I highly encourage all to support and donate your contributions to UNITED SIKHS for this effort.

The actual need and the things that we plan to do while there are - prepare hot food and serve all those suffering, (they can't survive on dry fruits alone), help with building shelters who have lost everything, distribute materials, help with body bags and disperse bodies in proper cremation grounds, do whatever else it takes. Most of all, it's the mental and emotional support that I hope we can provide and heal us all together in a humane way.

I feel I must be born as a human being for a reason and I need to go do my part of helping as many people, who have lost everything in their lives. After all, we only live once and every moment here must be lived in a way that keeps us in Chardikala. I feel blessed with the life I have lived and what I have here in United States but I must go and be there with the millions who are in pain and help them in their tough time.

Nothing at this point will stop me from leaving and doing what I feel is needed there. If any of you feel the power within yourselves I highly encourage you to come join us. I shall look forward to seeing you in the battlefield and fighting for the true cause of humanity. Follow your heart and find your own role in this entire relief effort.

I am just glad that I have wonderful people like you in my life as friends and family. One last request, before you sleep tonite, please do take a moment to include the people who have lost their lives and people who are suffering in your prayers.

Warm Regards and Gur Fateh.

Navneet Singh

LIFE: Part 3

(Jan 14)

Life works in interesting ways sometimes. We had just left the orphanage, 10 minutes ago, and we were all sad to be leaving Chandra, Priyanka, Deepa and 33 other wonderful friends we had made at the orphanage in such a short time. As soon as we leave, for some reason, along the way, everything I saw was bright and cheerful and an aura of happiness seemed prevalent in the air. I asked my friend Ganesh on why I felt that way? (I met Ganesh and became good friends with him due to my consistent visits to the collector's office, he works there and he saw we were persistent and were going to help somehow, so he came up to me and has been extremely an angel sent from God to help us out with everything we need, be it latest updates for the disaster relief or just a simple translation from Tamil to English).

Upon my asking he answered, perhaps it's just your way of looking Navneet and I didn't have anything to say, a second later, he goes "oh, I see, I forgot, it's Pongal eve today, tomorrow is Pongal, a huge festival here in South India, that is why everyone is happy and cheerful." (to put it into perspective, Pongal is the celebration of Harvest time - just like how we always look upon Baisakhi in the Punjabi culture"

As I was about to ask more questions, we reached our camping grounds for the night, and I looked at my watch, it was 9:30pm. As I asked the team to go eat, I started looking around in panic - but this time it was just to search for an internet cafe so I could reach back to my UNITED SIKHS team HQ in US. Everything shuts down here at 10pm and I didn't

want to miss out on reaching the team. I made it at 9:50 just enough time to shoot a quick email back.

I also contacted the project coordinator to talk to her and provide her an update on the team efforts in Cuddalore and the updates from Port Blair where Bhai Esher Singh had gone.

I explained the team about the plans on how we were planning to go back to Mudasal Odai and taking new sarees for the mothers, new suits for younger unmarried girls, new shirts for all kids, and new dhotis for all the men in the village in honor of their celebration of Pongal. This is something they look forward to all year, deep down in my heart I felt that we ought to make this the best one they can have to the best of our abilities and we will personally go. We had planned to buy fruits, clean filtered water in packs and bed sheets to take in the morning to give to villagers. An update on Bhai Esher Singh's flight to Andaman was given and how the next few days would be very crucial for us but we were ready to keep the mission moving forward, nothing would stop us from reaching to everyone. Everything was in order

Before I left, I called back home to tell them I was safe and about Pongal and life here, (I hadn't talked to my family in 3 days now) when suddenly I found out that a few hours ago, my grandmother in Punjab, had passed away. I was speechless again.

I walked back thinking a million things in one second, what do I do now? Should I go back to Punjab, should I continue to be here? Confused as anything.

Life had brought me to another turn. I decided to sleep over it (except for the fact that sleeping was going to be impossible) and go with what my heart told me.

-Navneet Singh