Struggling with Rehit

Guest Confuseddotcom

Guest Confuseddotcom

Hi all,

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

little background to provide context, I was mona and clean shaven my whole life but began keeping kesh around 7/8 years ago at the age of 24 I believe, I wasn’t wearing a dastar and was rolling around with a high bun like it was for fashion, a few years in I began trimming my beard and continued like this for a few years but recently I have stopped doing this and my beard is quite long and has the natural look now. I don’t do paath or nitnem all I do is listen to kirtan and paath at the moment. Since I became keshdari again I decided to practice rehit by wearing panj kakkars so have been doing this for the past week, ever since coming into sikhi I’ve wanted to take Amrit but just didn’t have the strength or discipline for it but felt like now was the closest I have been to being able to do it but now having practiced rehit for a few days I feel like it’s really hard and I might not be built for it, I’m afraid of taking Amrit and not being able to keep up my rehit, can anyone give me some advice or hopefully someone has been in the same position and can provide their view point on this

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

• 2 months later...
Guest Guesti

Vaheguru Ji ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji ki fateh

If you just don't feel ready yet with full faith, don't take it. 

it's not like you'll get "fired from the panth" if you don't strictly follow rehat.

And before Amrit sanchaar, one should do Simran Abhyaas. Simran will bring clarity to your mind.

The most important thing is to wake up at Amritvela. If you can't do nitnem there, thats not the end of the world.

!Actually we are supposed to do Simran with gurmantar (not paath), in Amritvela, before sunrise !

And Nitnem should be done AFTER sunrise, which makes it easier to maintain. 

Here's the Pankti from Gurbani

Gur satgur ka jo sikh akhae so bhal ke uth har naam dheaavai

*Phir charhai divas Gurbani gaavai* ! behandia uthdia Har Naam dheaavai.

ਗਸਕਜਸਅ 

ਫਚਦਗਗ ਬੳਹਨਧ

Also, if you need to practice Nitnem paath, I suggest you to listen to it everyday and practice one one paath by one, you'll learn the uchaaran of paath faster.

Or maybe you practice Nitnem and rehit, till you get married, marry an amritdhaari, you can take Amrit on your wedding, and then you have Sangat and support from another Amritdhaari Sikh, you wake up each other at Amritvela and do Simran and Nitnem together.  Such Sangat is very helpful.

Also, Sikhi is NOT about following every rule from rehat maryada. I'm telling you. I'm also an amritdhaari.

A Sikhs goal is to meet Vaheguru. 

And I have met enough Sikhs,who are too much into rehat maryada, they don't focus on what the actual point is. If you follow rehat maryada strictly, but don't have a gurmukh mind, don't do Simran, and don't hear see meet Vaheguru while being alive, it's the harsh truth, the actual goal isn't accomplished.

Take Amrit, when you feel fully ready for it Vaheguru jio.

Bhul chuk maafi