Revising Matha Tek

Mahavir

Revising the ‘Matha Tek’

I’ve noticed many people have difficulty doing the full matha tek. Sometimes the Pug starts slipping off.

Some older Singh’s have great difficulty achieving the full bend. When there is a big rush, it becomes awkward and difficult to do matha tek ( can be observed in Gurdwaras in India, and in Sri Harmandar sahib).

My proposition is that we build a 2ft high platform like structure where we can place our forehead upon, instead of it being on the ground. The platform will be covered in carpet or other soft fabric so you don't end up banging your head. I’ve seen this in Buddhist temples and it looks pretty respectable and doesn’t take away from the actual matha tek at all.

This may also solve the problem for the Bibi’s who have difficulty bending over in jeans or pants in general.

What does the sangat think? Am I wrong in any way?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gurfateh!!

"This may also solve the problem for the Bibi’s who have difficulty bending over in jeans or pants in general."

Not sure if you know but there's a big controversy in punjab at the moment about girls wearing jeans to Gurudwareh and not being able to matha tek properly, therefore some Gurudwareh have banned it.

Feel free to comment would be nice to know the Sangats opinion

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Gurfateh!!

Gurfateh!!

Sorry Veer Ji but i think that defeats the purpose grin.gif also there are many Gursikhs who completly lay flat before Maharaaj Ji which is a form of matha tek, what would they do??? :wub:

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

Gurfateh!!

First of all, not many people do Dandaut (prostration).

Second, they could still do that if they wished. The Matha Tek Platform doesn't come in the way, the individual could just do the Dandaut a little bit before the Platform.

I know it feels kind of odd not having your head touch the level floor, but I still don't think it violates any Maryada. I could be wrong.

Guest noonespecial

They tried "revising" langar at one point too..

...we all know where that went.

Let's just stick to the system that we've been using for 500 years. I'm sure there old people during Guru Sahib's time that couldn't bend down all the way to matha tek either.

grin.gif

Plus I believe it matters more as to how much pyaar a person has in his/her. Any teenager can go drop a loonie in the Golak and then take matha and head out to talk with his friends at the back of the Darbar Sahib. But I once saw this woman confined to a wheelchair who had my wife roll her wheelchair up to the golak where she did ardaas and simply bowed her head. Who do you think Guru Jee was pleased with more? Also, this woman in the wheelchair lifted herself up out of her wheelchair and sustained her weight ONLY with her arms during the entire ardaas out of respect to Guru Sahib. Compare THAT, with some young men out there who lean against the wall during ardaas.

It's your SOUL that has to matha tek veera, not your body.