Why I Wear These Red And White Bangles?

singhbj singh

I think it doesn't make a difference how many days u wear it after. It doesn't say anywhere in Sikhi you have to wear it for so many days, etc. As the writer says it's a cultural thing rather than religious, and superstitious and to make the newly wed bride feel feminine if that's the right word, to remind her she's married after. Don't believe in the mehndi being dark means the mother in law is going to be nice.

Each to their own opnion thou.

I remember my father in law saying something like the newly married brides were made to wear chanrha and stuff like that for a reason. The reason being that these things make some noise when they are about. The members of the household can then be aware that their newest member is around and take care of what they say, lest their family secrets get misheard.

Well these days life is better for newly married brides. In the olden days women restricted their eating and drinking habits too. This was because they used the jangal and there were no toilets made. So a newly married bride had to keep sitting in the house where she was with a heavy lengha until it was time for all the girls to visit the fields and fertilise them. That is why it is called jangal pani. They went out in the dark - so that they would not be seen.

(Very funny - at least we can eat and drink normally these days and visit the loo too)

We have come such a long way in the fight to equality that sometimes I wonder what women are actually talking about when they say they feel they are being oppressed.