High Court Upholds Sgpc Decision On Admissions To Its Institutions

High Court upholds SGPC decision on admissions to its institutions

'Religion can’t be changed as per convenience'

In a historical judgement, The Punjab and Haryana High court have concluded that kesh (unshorn hair)are an integral part of the Sikh faith and that basic tenets of a religion cannot be changed to suit some needs or with changes in time. A three-member division bench of Justice Jagdish Sikh, Justice Jasbir Singh and Justice A.K. Mittal have given this decision with regards to an admission case in SGPC instituition. Applicant Gurleen Kaur from Gurdaspur and others had claimed admission under the Sikh-quota at Sri Guru Ram Das Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Amritsar. They had challenged Sikh Gurdwara Act in which it is stated that those who trim beard or thread their eye-brows are not Sikhs. They were not admiited to the course on the grounds that they were threading their brows and trimming their beards.

High Court upheld the SGPC Institute’s decision to not give admission in such cases to the claiming parties. The division bench in its 154 page judgement said that it was not a question of debate but a matter of faith. Religion cannot be changed as per one’s convenience or with changing times. It said that everyone in the Sikh faith unanimously agrees to the fact that kesh are integral part of the Sikh faith and this cannot be damaged by citing modernity.

It states that Guru Granth Sahib does not define an Amritdhari, Sehajdhari or Patit Sikhs. Guru Granth Sahib teaches spirituality and morality. And Sikh history, institutions and intellectuals are all unison on the fact that unshorn hair are integral part of the faith.

what do u think about it?

have u ever thread ur brows or ur beard?

Guest confusingh

I'm very disappointed with high court being able to rule who is qualified as a sikh, its disgraceful and ok may be its only within this uni admission issue but in general I have been told that the high court are about to rule for only Amritdhari Sikhs to be classed as Sikhs... Although it may sound nice,I hope sangat realise the implications of this,

All this does is further cut the numbers of people seen as 'Sikhs'... ok I'm Amritdhari, but I feel uncomfortable about the reduction of numbers of people who will now qualify to be Sikhs... Let me clarify the implications of this...

Sikhs will have practically no exposure or power in policy-setting and will be given minority status, the large majority of the 25 million Sikhs across the world are not Amritdhari... therefore reducing 'qualified' Sikhs to being no more than a couple of million, and a couple of million people spread across the world have no influence whatsoever, fact, anybody who disputes this needs to look at politics and history and see if simply a couple of million of the 6,706,993,152 (approx) people in the world have any influence upon politics, due to the SGPC and other organisations who have no knowledge of politics whatsoever (other than trying to get votes) we would become an easy minority to oppress, revolutionary movements will be non-existent because we would have such little influence, if any.

So we can say bye bye to Sikh independence, Khalistan or anything in the form of an independent state... Why would any govt in the world acknowledge or grant a couple million people a seperate state or country punjab's population is only 24.3 million approx, and how many of these are 'qualified' Sikhs?... No where near enough to have any political influence, or be granted individual rights by anybodys means.... read up on past political revolutions and see how many have been succesful with the numbers of 'qualified' support being a couple of million (im being generous in my estimation, there may well be less Amritdhari Sikhs within Panjab, the vast majority are not Amritdhari)... NONE.

The implications in general, less rights, less influence, less exposure and NO independence, not even a faint chance on it if the case is we rule only Amritdhari Sikhs as Sikhs.

Within British and American constitutions we are an acknowledged religion, and we are accomodated for. Why is it that you don't see the high court being so invasive in regards to who is to be defined as a Hindu im pretty sure 90% of the Hindu population would no longer be Hindus....

I know the SGPC and Sikh Students Federation support the view that only Amritdhari Sikhs should be classed as Sikhs, but I think they do not have any solid foundation to support this view upon and I really question their knowledge of politics and what they are supporting all they are doing is giving us less of an influence and more of a chance of being politically oppressed.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I'm very disappointed with high court being able to rule who is qualified as a sikh, its disgraceful and ok may be its only within this uni admission issue but in general I have been told that the high court are about to rule for only Amritdhari Sikhs to be classed as Sikhs... Although it may sound nice,I hope sangat realise the implications of this,

All this does is further cut the numbers of people seen as 'Sikhs'... ok I'm Amritdhari, but I feel uncomfortable about the reduction of numbers of people who will now qualify to be Sikhs... Let me clarify the implications of this...

Sikhs will have practically no exposure or power in policy-setting and will be given minority status, the large majority of the 25 million Sikhs across the world are not Amritdhari... therefore reducing 'qualified' Sikhs to being no more than a couple of million, and a couple of million people spread across the world have no influence whatsoever, fact, anybody who disputes this needs to look at politics and history and see if simply a couple of million of the 6,706,993,152 (approx) people in the world have any influence upon politics, due to the SGPC and other organisations who have no knowledge of politics whatsoever (other than trying to get votes) we would become an easy minority to oppress, revolutionary movements will be non-existent because we would have such little influence, if any.

So we can say bye bye to Sikh independence, Khalistan or anything in the form of an independent state... Why would any govt in the world acknowledge or grant a couple million people a seperate state or country punjab's population is only 24.3 million approx, and how many of these are 'qualified' Sikhs?... No where near enough to have any political influence, or be granted individual rights by anybodys means.... read up on past political revolutions and see how many have been succesful with the numbers of 'qualified' support being a couple of million (im being generous in my estimation, there may well be less Amritdhari Sikhs within Panjab, the vast majority are not Amritdhari)... NONE.

The implications in general, less rights, less influence, less exposure and NO independence, not even a faint chance on it if the case is we rule only Amritdhari Sikhs as Sikhs.

Within British and American constitutions we are an acknowledged religion, and we are accomodated for. Why is it that you don't see the high court being so invasive in regards to who is to be defined as a Hindu im pretty sure 90% of the Hindu population would no longer be Hindus....

I know the SGPC and Sikh Students Federation support the view that only Amritdhari Sikhs should be classed as Sikhs, but I think they do not have any solid foundation to support this view upon and I really question their knowledge of politics and what they are supporting all they are doing is giving us less of an influence and more of a chance of being politically oppressed.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Please see the judgement then comment I have posted full judgement on page 4 of this general topic .I will POST FULL PROCEEDINGS OF THE COURT SOON AS IAM UNWELL THERE IS NO MENTION OF AMRIT DHARI SIKH BUT IN REHAT MARYADA THERE IS ONLY SIKH NOT SEHAJDHARI .

In a historical judgement, The Punjab and Haryana High court have concluded that kesh (unshorn hair)are an integral part of the Sikh faith and that basic tenets of a religion cannot be changed to suit some needs or with changes in time. A three-member division bench of Justice Jagdish Sikh, Justice Jasbir Singh and Justice A.K. Mittal have given this decision with regards to an admission case in SGPC instituition. Applicant Gurleen Kaur from Gurdaspur and others had claimed admission under the Sikh-quota at Sri Guru Ram Das Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Amritsar. They had challenged Sikh Gurdwara Act in which it is stated that those who trim beard or thread their eye-brows are not Sikhs. They were not admiited to the course on the grounds that they were threading their brows and trimming their beards.

High Court upheld the SGPC Institute’s decision to not give admission in such cases to the claiming parties. The division bench in its 154 page judgement said that it was not a question of debate but a matter of faith. Religion cannot be changed as per one’s convenience or with changing times. It said that everyone in the Sikh faith unanimously agrees to the fact that kesh are integral part of the Sikh faith and this cannot be damaged by citing modernity.

It states that Guru Granth Sahib does not define an Amritdhari, Sehajdhari or Patit Sikhs. Guru Granth Sahib teaches spirituality and morality. And Sikh history, institutions and intellectuals are all unison on the fact that unshorn hair are integral part of the faith.

SEE THE JUDGEMENT THEN MAKE COMMENT FIRSTLY THERE WAS NOT THE VIEW OF SGPC IS WAS SOLELY THE SHOW OF ATINDER PAL SINGH KHALSTANI HE GAVE SAME NAME IN COURT. AFTER HIS SUMMISIIONS COURT RESERVED THE RULING U SEE THE JUDGEMENT IN THIS THREAD I POSTED MANY DOWNLOADS THEN MAKE COMMENTS ATINDER PAL SINGH KHALSTANI WAS ASSISTED BY ADVOCATE BRIJINDER SINGH LOOMBA. PLESE WATCH THE JUDGEMENT IN PAGE 4 BEFORE MAKING UNWANTED COMMENTS OF UR SELF.

SEE THE JUDGEMENT THEN MAKE COMMENT FIRSTLY THERE WAS NOT THE VIEW OF SGPC IS WAS SOLELY THE SHOW OF ATINDER PAL SINGH KHALSTANI HE GAVE SAME NAME IN COURT. AFTER HIS SUMMISIIONS COURT RESERVED THE RULING U SEE THE JUDGEMENT IN THIS THREAD I POSTED MANY DOWNLOADS THEN MAKE COMMENTS ATINDER PAL SINGH KHALSTANI WAS ASSISTED BY ADVOCATE BRIJINDER SINGH LOOMBA. PLESE WATCH THE JUDGEMENT IN PAGE 4 BEFORE MAKING UNWANTED COMMENTS OF UR SELF.

sORRY FOR THE LAST LINE DUE TO HURRY i DID NOT SEE UR POST FULLY PLEASE DO NOT TAKE IT PERSONALY AS IAM LITLE UNWELL I COULD NOT READ UR POST PROPERLY.

Guest confusingh

Point is more we divide less chance of ANY rights, so any chance of revolution is very very small...

even if we say nobody without Kesh is a Sikh, the same problems apply, how can you ignore the fact that a large majority of Sikhs are then not going to be qualified as Sikhs... again we have less influence and less political power, look I'm not saying its not a good idea in theory, but if the SGPC and others don't understand the political implications of this then they need their heads checking...

Fact is how many hindus do you see in pandit style, does the high court have any right to rule who is a Hindu, I'm pretty sure 90% of the approx 920 million hindu population would then no longer be 'qualified' Hindus. We are only 25 million in numbers, if we say no sehajdharis are qualified on paper as Sikhs, then I estimate that the VAST majority of 25 million is reduced, making us a couple of million in numbers, making us practically useless within politics as we'll have such little influence, if only the SGPC and all these other organisations spent less time disputing internal Sikh issues and then resorting to the High court to make judgements and spent more time working to get rights for Sikhs and more political power rather than less, I question anybodys intention if they were to support this, there isn't any sense in making us smaller.... fact is, we'll be insignificant in numbers and therefore won't have the influence and political power we should have! How hard is that to understand!

Also, what about the Sehajdhari Sikhs, are they then to be classed as Hindus? .... Clever move Singho, we seem to shoot ourselves in foot all the time, its because we have no knowledge of politics and how to work a system of our beliefs, we spend more time trying to establish a moral high ground rather than working for equality.... these organisations and this ruling is a complete joke, where is the analysis of political implications, where is the evaluation before taking this case to high courty... I really am refraining from swearing but how can anybody describe themselves as leaders if they don't understand things!

Fateh!