Taking Amrit

WJKK

WJKF

Sangat ji, Time has arrived for me to take amrit on this vaisakhi. I request everyone to help me prepare for the ceremony. I don't know how would I get myself prepared for the ceremony itself.

-Are the five K's distributed at the ceremony or I have to collect them ahead of time?

-I know I need to take shower from head to toe and what should I wear on that day?

-I can't recite five banis without GUTKA SAHIB so, do I need to carry one or ask for it at GURUDWARA SAHIB?

-What are other steps involved in preparing myself?

Please pardon my ignorance as I don't know much about the requirements and pray for me so that GURU MAHARAJA mere te kirpa karen!!!

WJKK

WJKF

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, vaheguru ji ki fathe

First of all congratulations bhaji on your decision,

Bhaji if your amritsanchar is in the morning or in the day then you need to wake up at amritvela try and clear your bowels (i.e go for a number two on the toilet) have a full body ishnaan ( including kesh) with cold water. DO simran for a few hours, then nitnem sahib. Put on a set of new clothes and your five k's ( if you haven' got your five k's they are provided at the amritsanchar). If your amritsanchar is later in the evening or at night then do all the above but do loads of simran and paat during the day

**personal note:- veer ji building up to the amritsanchar try to keep as many rehats as poosible, i.e get up amritvela , simran, nitem , cold bath (including kes) ,comb hair twice daily, stop eating out and eat only from amritdharis, etc.... Taking amrit is your personal relaitonship with Guru ji, remember you will be taking amrit not when you are ready but when Guru ji wants you to take it. Go to the Gurudwara and clean the shoes of the sangat and always, keep in your mind that you are nothing wipe the sangats dhoor on your forehead. Scrub the toilets at the gurudwara and always keep in your mind that you are not even equal to the toilet of Gurus sangat. The more you condition your mind into nimrata the better Sikh you will become. As homay (ego) is the thing that makes us weak Sikhs, we think we know better than Guru ji. Guur ji has told us to get up at amritvela, to do simran , to keep bibek etc... but oru ego's get in the way. if we where humble and had nimrata we would keep the strictist rehat and follow Gurus path properly and not half heartedly like I do. Don't forget the power of ardaas, love Guru ji with all your heart .

Paaji please read this:

It is the basic underlying Rehat (Code of Conduct).

(Panthic) Sikh Rehat Maryada (approved by Sri Akaal Takhat Sahib Ji)

I advise you that you read and understand this.

Its very simple and straightforward.

To find out the proceedure and what happens in Amrit Sanchaar:

Panthic Rehni >> Amrit Sanchaar

All the best.

Keep in Chardikala.

Sikhi is all about Pyaar and love for Waheguroo and GUru Jee.

Our Rehat is a means to an end - not an end in itself. Rehat is important and should be stuck to - we make mistakes unconsciously as we go along this journey and path, however we have Guru Ji to guide us and help us along.

Bhul chuk maaf karnee

I remember when I took Amrit at Sri Akaal Takhat Sahib.... while walking up to the Amrit Sanchaar some people were reciting Benti Chaupayee Sahib da Paat.

Singing shabads and doing simran while travelling to the amrit sanchaar (i.e. in car or walking) is recommended... helps to build up the psyche and chardikala spirit.

Its like you are going to see your Father and you are going to offer your head as gift to Him... keeping that in mind and singing shabads = bairaag feelin:)

• 2 weeks later...

WJKK WJKF

Paji its great you have chosen to offer your head! There is nothing like it! (take it from me, i only gave mine this weekend..)

Try to get your kakkar before you go, reason is you can get used to wearing them. You will be suprised, when i first started wearing kirpan, i kept moving it every 2min till i was happy with a position, then same with a khanga (my kesh is not that long as i only kept it 18months ago if that) therefore my khanga sometimes moves and can get irritating. The point is, you get a chance to feel it and then when you take amrit, its no different except you will hav Guru Ji with you inside! <_<

Also, as others have said, do simran all day, just do it all the time as much as you can, jst keep whacking it out!!! I did 5 Chaupi Sahibs before i went so Guru Ji was with me all the time! And i could feel it! Then did simran all the time i was on my way to Amrit Sanchar and while Amrit Was being given, in my head all i could do was look at Maharaj and think how beautiful he was and say, Waheguru!!

What to wear, if you can get a Bana, then wear it! if not go for a kurtha pajama! A bana is better but if you cant get one then Kurtha is next best thing! Coz they can cover your legs (you dont wear ya trouses so can get cold and also, it dont look dat good, taking in amrit in tshirt and kachera! i should know! it happened to me!!!)

Thats it really, jst practice the Rehat Maryada now, before you give your head and keep doing as much simran as you can!

Just one other thing, when you are given amrit, you will want more! Just hope you have a dhari!! lol, coz the sweetness is nextlevel!! Amrit gets in ya dhari so you can still taste it after! lol N the only way you will continue to taste that amrit when you have taken it is by continuing to do naam as much as you can after!!

These were the tips i was given, also added a couple in myself, but the most important thing to do is jst keep doing naam simran!! and try to follow rehat! Good Luck Singh! Let us know how you got on!!! Welcome to the Panth as soon you have joined! (i wont beable to say then so say it in advance for you! :wub: )

Think i have rattled on to long so im gona go now!

WJKK WJKF

Firstly I'd liek to congratulate my Bhenjis and Veer ji's who have joined or decided to jin the Khalsa hood.

Please do Ardaas for this moorakh as well d_oh.gif

What to wear, if you can get a Bana, then wear it! if not go for a kurtha pajama! A bana is better but if you cant get one then Kurtha is next best thing! Coz they can cover your legs (you dont wear ya trouses so can get cold and also, it dont look dat good, taking in amrit in tshirt and kachera! i should know! it happened to me!!!)

Actually traditionally no Pajamas were worn at Amrit Sanchars according to Bhai Amrit Singh from amritworld.com <_<

bhull chukk maaf

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji ki Fateh

• 4 weeks later...