increased sikhi = increased tolerance?

sissy

Philip Pullman, the author, suggested Britain’s growing lack of interest in religion might help explain our tolerance. “The more religion you have, the less tolerant you are,” he said. “It sounds as if Britain is a healthy secular society.”

(from http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,20...562375,00.html)

.....this comment got me thinking..in sikhi we believe in tolerance.....but by being more sikh/khalsa in practise do we actually become less tolerant? an argument for this may explain some of the tensions between amritdharis and mona's

i generally disagree as i feel that the more i learn about sikhi, the more i realise that i have no right to judge others...however i do think that some (not all!) 'sikhs' sometimes give an arrogant/authoritative impression, that could be mistaken as intolerance, as their understanding (gyan) of sikhi increases

bear in mind this comment was conisdering tolerance of a ethnically different neighbour, casual sex, abortion, etc

whilst a sikh may disagree with eg abortion in some cases, a sikh should still show empathy and tolerance to others who may choose abortion for their life path

but was just wondering what others think

Discussion is fine as long as it doesnt go on forcing the person's belief on others. The less tolerant a person is, the less accepting the person becomes.

To me The quote "The more religion you have, the less tolerant you are", implies an unhealthy society, where people are always complaining about their intolerance.

But although as a sikh comes closer in union with Ik Onkar, He believes everything is perfect and tolerance increases, acceptance increases(of ppl as they are).

Great thought sissy!

In the sikh societies all over the world, what you have mentioned is very evident.

I think this intolerance within sikhs generally comes from the fact that parents do not know what sikhi is really all about and force their kids to adorn the physical properties of a sikh. This vicious cycle continues until it becomes nothing to do with the religion but pure politics.

Its a sad thing but there is nothing that can be done other than giving people the freedom to choose. Freedom is tolerance!!

As for tolerance between religions, i think the same theory applies. Everyone forgets about the spiritual side of the religion and takes gods name in vain. In my view anyone who critisizes anyone for how they look or who they want to be, or marry, or love is imposing his/her own ego unto others. People like this actually develop a complex where they want to find something bad with the ppl around them just as to feel superior(eg. fueling the ego)