Sikh religion believes God loves without prejudice

Sikh religion believes God loves without prejudice

E-Mail This Article

Re: My God loves everyone, without prejudice, Jan. 21

Thank you for a thoughtful, uniting article, but I also want to inform you of an inaccuracy. I am a follower of the Sikh religion and the inaccuracy involves the statement, "Sikh religion's highest clerical authority".

The founders of the Sikh religion made it very clear their teachings and ideals were for the betterment of humanity, regardless of religion, caste, creed or gender. The same can be said about any other dividing lines, such as sexual orientation.

The founders (Gurus) taught that no one religion or god is greater than any other and that all should be respected. They also taught service to humanity as one of the fundamental purposes of life.

The reason I am explaining this is so that you understand the background of the religion and can appreciate the fact the Gurus' main objective was the betterment of humanity and the planet and not to create a structured religion with a hierarchy and ritualistic dogma.

All the gurus, especially the 10th Guru, made it very clear we are not to have clergy or a structured religious hierarchy. Every Sikh is individually empowered to make their own choices, which often are in direct conflict to the anti-Sikh statements such as those condemning homosexual unions.

So you can see that the inaccuracy is not only in naming someone as the "Sikh religion's highest clerical authority" but even in calling someone such as Vedanti (the one you are, presumably, referring to) a Sikh. Sikhs are called monotheists because we believe in one God, but what is so often misunderstood is that we believe in the One God, which is the same god for all religions. Whether you name god as Jesus, the trinity, Allah, Yahweh or you believe in thousands of Gods, we believe they all refer to the same one God. In this regard, our god is also a god that loves without prejudice. The most unfortunate reality is that most Sikhs have been trying to teach this concept to humanity for a very long time, it's a shame our so-called "leaders" can't understand this. It is more of a shame, however, that our religion is known so little in the western world and misrepresented by those professing to be Sikh

Although I am not homosexual, and I only briefly knew someone who was openly gay, I don't feel it should take a gay brother for us all to come to the same understanding you have. As a Sikh, I respect and commend you for your commitment to human equality and pray more people can have the same commitment as you.

Hari Singh Khalsa

http://www.stoneycreeknews.com/NASApp/cs/C...d=1071061598532

Thank you Ryu / Hari Singh!

I shake my head when I think about how the most beautiful gift of understanding and tolerance could be so corrupted. As sikhs we don't merely tolerate, we put our neck on the line for human rights! Any possible debate as to what is best for society comes after protecting those who are being persecuted by the sword of legislation.

In Canada, the so called "fundamentalists" stood behind a young brave amritdhari MP in his fight for human rights. Those who most vocally oppose on the basis of sikhi have been largely crude simpleton punjabi's who are too scared of gorays to keep a dastar. Western media and right wing parties pull the strings on these puppets for their own ends who have not a clue about the bigger picture.

Stunning that the voices from the birthplace of sikhi pronounce allegiance with the latter view. I don't want to hijack the focus of your point, but if I may say so, this situation cries out for the need for self rule. Sikhs have more self respect and autonomy of thought in Canada than what is turning into the shell of sikhi called Punjab!

What do we expect living under a rule that doesn't understand the profound statement of the protection of human rights by Guru Teghbahadar ji. Living by his true legacy should accord his name on the cover of the Canadian Charter of Rights or the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights... let alone allow Sikhs themselves to think independently. However in the land bollywood religion he is touted as someone who protected Hindus brothers against evil Muslims!

Is our Future Hopeless in the sense that we are so bound by the thought of anti-sikh indians that we are constantly looking over our shoulders? You know i have yet to find a Religion that has no Fued with another whether it is political or a superiority complex. Buddhism was thrown out of the country in which it was born, Jesus was crucified by the same people who awaited the arrival of such a messiah. Now Sikhism is being dilluted by the same people whom it protected, but even more so it is being dilluted by its own practitioners. I don't see India being our Enemy, but the lack of acknowledement by our leader of the issues we face. The amount of Wealth the Sikh/PUnjabi Community has is monumental and if directed in the right manner could create a environment in the Community of Sikhs that is unpresidented. BUT, those who have this power to create this environment, our so called leader who are busy with their own persoanl Political-egos fighting for a chair. So it is left on us, you and me to create this Future in which we must begin to better ourselves, we must become the light which we want others to become.