is it true that some gudwara make meat?

Gurfateh!!

As wrong and as shocking as it is, it is true that Bhatra Gurudwareh do serve meat (not make meat; thats what Akaal Purukh does tongue.gif ) in langar.

Im in Southampton currently, and there is a large Bhatra community with their "own" Gurudwara.

I had heard that they do cook meat in their Gurudwareh and had previously known them to be called eggs and bacon Gurudwareh. I however thought...this can't be true ohmy.gif  

So i asked one of the local patreh who said yes they do serve meat in the Gurudwara only on special occasions such as weddings and it isnt cooked there but is served which is obviously just as wrong.

However i did try to explain that Maharaaj Ji is in such a place how can this be done??...but its one of those things they consider normal  wacko.gif   and to try and convince someone they're wrong can sometimes be impossible.

I suggest it is made mandatory that Maharaaj Ji is removed from such places and this strictly enforced if the SGPC has time to issue Hukhams on tables and chairs, i think this is far worse.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Gurfateh!!

99455[/snapback]

It is the Akal Takht that issues Hukumnama and not the SGPC which is just a management committee that likes to interfere in Sikh religious affairs..

99504[/snapback]

Gurfateh!!

Sorry for the mistake, you are correct but who seems to be controlling Sri Akal Takht (unfortunatly)

BTW apologies for the sarcasm, its just im not a fan of SGPC :doh:

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Gurfateh!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i read a book:

SIKHS AND SIKHISML; A VIEW WITH A BIAS....BY I.J. SINGH

it is mentioned in there tht sikhi does not have any food taboos and tht some gurdwaras serve meat and alcohol....he says in guru arjun dev ji's time a sikh donated fish to langar and it was served....

don't believe a word of it....wanna go beat up I.J. COWARD right now!!!!

Has anyone actually witnessed ( actually present) during the ardas that some Gurdwaras serve meat as part of the lungar. Many of the posts above are hearsay

and no one appears to actually know.

I believe it is easy to raise issues but we should be cautious as we do not wish to offend the sikh community. Unfortunately there are always a very very minority where such an event may have occurred and becomes generalised.

I know some members from the community you refer to as Bhatra sikhs, although to me they are just sikhs, and when they established Gurdwaras in the UK ( I am told they were the first sikhs in the Uk to establish Gurdwaras) part of the premises were used to serve meat as was common practice in India. However, as sikhi parchar has increased in latter years they do not cook meat on premises or serve meat in the lungar or otherwise and this change has been brought about by their youth.

However, they do have community halls annexed to some Gurdwaras and on weddings breakfast is served containing meat but there is no link between the Gurdwara and the community hall.

On speaking to a friend about this issue he commented that they may get criticised for serving meat in an adjoining building, but they do not use absolutely foul and abusive language or fight with swords in the presence of Maharaj SGGS Ji JAAGAMI JOT as some of the other communities. which of these is more disrespectful ?

As far as I am concerned there should be RESPECT AT ALL TIMES FOR MARAHAJ JI.

Gurfateh!!

Veer Ji as i mentioned in a previous post :

"So i asked one of the local patreh who said yes they do serve meat in the Gurudwara only on special occasions such as weddings and it isnt cooked there but is served which is obviously just as wrong. "

Unfortunatly iv not actually been to that particular Gurudwara and from what i know its not that often meat is served. There is no adjourning hall so i think it is true to say yes it in within the Gurudwara meat is served. However i will find of when the next serving is and go and see how its done....will most more info when i know :doh:

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Gurfateh!!

Has anyone actually witnessed ( actually present) during the ardas that some Gurdwaras serve meat as part of the lungar. Many of the posts above are hearsay

and no one appears to actually know.

99746[/snapback]

Gurfateh!!

Also when you mean present for the Ardaas im guessing you're assuming to them doing bhog with meat. That i dont think happens :doh: @ well i hope not.

Otherwise i dont quite know how one can witness during the Ardaas the langar hall serving meat???

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Gurfateh!!

As it was mentioned that meat is served in the lungar I assumed they must have carried out ardas and bhog?

At the end of the day we believe that is wrong as well.

I did hear that there is a saki whereby meat was part of the lungar during the time of Guru Amar Das Ji. I will try and obtain the saki and post it later.

• 1 year later...
to what i have heard, its a like a normal gurdwara but they also have meat in langar.

apparently my friend said that he went to southampton gurdwara because him and his dad were booked to do kirtan. when outsiders like kirtanis and raagis come then they make vegetarian langar. but udhaa they have bacon and stuff for breakfast (i assume instead of parotey).

i have not seen this with my own eyes - just going by what i have heard from others.

southampton Gurdwara Tegh Bhadar Sahib St. Marks Rd it happens they eat it with no shame i was disgusted i asked for a veggie breakfast and they gave me a just a plate of beans? For a meat eater they had bacon, sausages, eggs & blackpudding

to what i have heard, its a like a normal gurdwara but they also have meat in langar.

apparently my friend said that he went to southampton gurdwara because him and his dad were booked to do kirtan. when outsiders like kirtanis and raagis come then they make vegetarian langar. but udhaa they have bacon and stuff for breakfast (i assume instead of parotey).

i have not seen this with my own eyes - just going by what i have heard from others.

southampton Gurdwara Tegh Bhadar Sahib St. Marks Rd it happens they eat it with no shame i was disgusted i asked for a veggie breakfast and they gave me a just a plate of beans? For a meat eater they had bacon, sausages, eggs & blackpudding

So what was your problem ? Jealous the meat eaters had more variety ? or were the beans not good enough for you in Guru Da Langar ? Did you want Linda Mcartney Sausages with the beans ?