GURDWARA EXPOSED!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!

GURDWARA EXPOSED!

“Guru Arjan Dev Ji Shaheedi” Sports & Cultural Tournament organised by:

Sri Guru Singh Sabha London East

For several years Sangat has been trying to stop this tournament where the following happens:

1) Excessive Alcohol & Drug Abuse

2) Rowdy and Violent Behaviour

3) Langar from Gurdwara is distributed alongside meat and alcohol

4) Misuse of Gurdwara Funds

Is this what Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji & Sikh Shaheeds lived and died for?

This Gurdwara committee are the Massands of today. They refuse to address the concerns of the Sangat. They are misusing the offerings from Sangat. They partake in the alcohol & drug abuse on the day of the tournament. They profit from the tournament.

This is the future of our community at stake. Do we want people who abuse their roles as community leaders?

This abuse of power has to stop and as Sadh Sangat this is your chance to make a difference in your local area. The committee is responsible to YOU all of the local Sadh Sangat. The tournament highlights the extent to which this committee is not capable of promoting Sikhism within the local area.

Things will not change unless we try to do something about it. If you have love for Guruji and call yourself a Sikh then it’s your problem.

Call the Gurdwara on;

020 8594 3940 / 020 8597 8822

Write to the committee;

100 North Street, Barking, Essex IG11 8DJ or

720-730 High Road, Seven Kings, Ilford, Essex IG3 8ST

Call Committee Members;

Lehmbar Lehal 020 8252 7244

Sardara Dhaliwal 020 8550 3303

Sansara Narwal 01708 753649

Gurdip Hundal 020 8924 9310

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

fateh ji

Hanji i agree, we need to make a stop to this, and sort it out

we all should ring/write a letter and all shall be sorted with guru jis kirpa!

but what shall we say down the phone? lol ...cus i will ring today !

fateh

100515[/snapback]

Give your opinion of what you think of what they are doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest rsingh

http://panthic.org/news/124/ARTICLE/1339/2005-05-15.html

Questions Raised Against "Cultural-Sports Tournament"

Sunday 15th May, 2005

Fauja Singh - Panthic Weekly Staff

Barking, UK (KP) – Last week over 50 Sikhs from Sadh Sangat consisting of many youth and experienced Sikhs met with the Committee of Sri Guru Singh Sabha London East and the Organisers of the Cultural Sports Tournament.

The Sangat met before hand and in the hazoori of Guru Granth Sahib Ji performed Benti Chaupai Sahib Ji de Paath and Ardas, after which they went to open a meeting organised by the Committee.

Barking Gurdwara in conjunction with Cultural & Sports Tournament are the organizers of the Guru Arjan Dev Ji Shaheedi Cultural & Sports Tournament. In this tournament meat and alcohol are consumed freely. The Barking Gurdwara Sahib supports the event which also sees a number of violent fights and disturbs the local peace. This is all done in the name of fifth Guru, Guru Arjan Dev Ji and the shaheeds.

The aim of the Sangat was simple in that the name of the Tournament must be changed as it is abuse to the memory and principles of Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji and Sikh Shaheeds.

Reasons behind why the Sangat want Guru Ji's name and the term “Shaheedi” (meaning ‘martyr’) to be removed as the title of the tournament is that currently the tournament allows excessive drinking on the site, there are problems of law and order such as rowdy and violent behaviour, Bhangra, Giddha, and Langar made from offerings by the local Gurdwara Sangat is distributed alongside alcohol and meat. Gurdwara monetary donations are used to fund this tournament, local residents are against the tournament for the above issues and the litter and disruption caused.

For a Gurdwara to support so many things that are in direct violation with Sikh Maryada is beyond belief.

"Is this how Sikhs celebrate the sacrifice of Guru Arjan Dev Ji?" asked the Sangat. "Did Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji commemorate his father’s shaheedi in this way? Are the activities conducted in this tournament what our Sikh Shaheeds gave their lives for?"

The Sangat addressed all the above points to the Committee and Organisers at this open meeting.

There was a unanimous agreement by the Gurdwara Committee and Organisers that the tournament is an abuse of the memory of Guru Ji & Shaheeds. The organisers reiterated that they have been requesting the Gurdwara Committee to change the name for over two years.

Panthic Weekly learnt from sources present that the committee agreed that the name should be changed but the question was when. They expressed their happiness at seeing so many youth active but were split on whether it could be done this year or not. Some committee members freely agreed that the committee should change the name right away but yet others at the top were not willing to budge on any changes to this years tournament insisting on future tournaments to have changes made.

The Sadh Sangat asked the committee to put forward their problems, to which each and every problem a solution was given by the Sangat. The Sangat offered to re-design and print posters, booklets and stationary. The Sangat also offered to make new banners and signs for the day and help with any technical and legal issues.

The Organisers said there was no problem with the name being changed for this year’s tournament and highlighted the point that the Gurdwara Committee has to make the decision.

However the Gurdwara committee flatly refused to change the name for the tournament happening on the 12th of June 2005.

The excuses given by the Committee were that there were certain legal issues. "It has been going on for 25 years and the current state of the tournament requires Guru Ji’s name to be disassociated with it." The committee members said, without any shame that they partake in the consumption of alcohol during the tournaments. "What about those outside organisations funding the tournament?"

In the meeting one committee member said that he understood the sentiments of the Sangat especially the Sikh youth.  He bravely shared with the Sangat that he is not proud of the fact that he is a Gurdwara Committee member yet he sometimes used to speak on the Gurdwara stage after having a glass of alcohol to drink.  The Committee member illustrated the issue of how non-Gursikhs who are not practicing Guru’s Sikhi are managing and running the Gurdwaras and leading the local Sikh community.

The Sangat was not satisfied with the poor excuses given by the committee. It reflects the fact that this committee have not love for Guru Ji. Issues such as funding from outside sources are the priority. Also it boils down to the point that who are the Sangat to tell the committee what to do?

It seems the decision is now in the hands of the Gurdwara Committee. The Committee disregarded the concerns of the Sangat, feeling that their decisions are correct and final. The committee are exploiting their positions using Guru Ji as a commodity who they can sell for monitory gains and political power. They have forgotten that the Sadh Sangat is Guru Ji’s form and are above any committee.

There is no reason why a different name cannot be used for the Tournament, this year and following years, apart from financial gain and egotistical behaviour.

The Sangat demanded a decision and a timescale for when this decision will be made. The committee have asked for two weeks to call a meeting. This shows that Guru Ji's beabdi (disrespect and violation) is not an issue for this committee, otherwise a decision would have been made immediately or within a shorter timescale.

As soon as the Sangat went into the meeting, an excuse for the time scale was made, yet the committee wants a further 2 weeks even though they had an internal committee meeting afterwards in private. It has also been revealed that an internal fight broke out at Barking Gurdwara between Committee members. It is not clear if it is related to this situation, but it is however clear there are deep divisions over this issues which were made clear in the meeting with the Sangat.

:doh:

i no dis is off topic,

Some one told me dat dey gunna name thier kid anand

i go i gunnah name ma kid tavprashad or chuapie , they laffed in ma face :'(, see der a nuva singh wid dat name. woo

brightened my day

100537[/snapback]

ok LOL.gifLOL.gif ur too funny veer :doh: love u

anyways yeh, tavprasad means Ur grace... but wot abt chaupai? :) wot dus it mean???

take care veer ur too funny u make my day wid ur off topic.... classics :wub:

:doh:
i no dis is off topic,

Some one told me dat dey gunna name thier kid anand

i go i gunnah name ma kid tavprashad or chuapie , they laffed in ma face :'(, see der a nuva singh wid dat name. woo

brightened my day

100537[/snapback]

ok LOL.gifLOL.gif ur too funny veer :doh: love u

anyways yeh, tavprasad means Ur grace... but wot abt chaupai? :) wot dus it mean???

take care veer ur too funny u make my day wid ur off topic.... classics :wub:

100577[/snapback]

everyone should ring and tell the committee what they think.

some ideas:

explain to them that meat and alcohol are prohibited for all sikhs.

ask them would they let someone under the influence of alcohol enter their Gurdwara?? if they wouldn't then how can they provide langar for people who are drunk.

why does the Gurdwara need to be involved in organising this event?

how much sangat money is ploughed into the event?

who's money is used for langar?