racial attack

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sikh teen fabricated story of attack

Last Updated Sat, 04 Jun 2005 20:05:11 EDT

CBC News

B.C. police are calling off a hate-crimes investigation, after a Sikh teenager admitted he made up a story about a group of white men beating him and cutting his hair.

Police had appealed for tips earlier in the week, after the 17-year-old said five men jumped him behind an elementary school in Richmond on May 26.

Cpl. Peter Thiesson told a news conference on Saturday that the teen's wounds were self-inflicted.

He said they snatched off his turban and chopped his hair, which – for religious reasons – had never been cut.

FROM JUNE 1, 2005: Attackers cut off Sikh teen's hair

The teenager admitted on Friday that it never happened, Richmond RCMP said at a news conference Saturday.

"He disclosed to us that in fact he had fabricated the entire incident," Cpl. Peter Thiesson said.

"The injuries that we observed on him that required medical attention were self-inflicted, that he cut his own hair and that he disclosed this to no one."

Police wouldn't discuss a possible motive for the incident. They haven't yet decided whether they will press charges.

"I am really sorry for everything that has happened," the teenager, who has asked to remain anonymous, said in a statement released by police on Saturday.

"I did not realize that it will become an issue at such a large scale. My sincere apologies to my family, friends, the RCMP and overall community – whose feelings I have hurt in this whole ordeal. I have to work very hard to rebuild the trust I lost."

The alleged attack spurred outrage and fear among the Indo-Canadian community.

The teen had said his attackers – whom he described as being Caucasian and in their early twenties – made racial slurs, punched him, knocked him to the ground, held a knife to his neck, stole his wallet and then cut his hair.

============================================

This type of lies is almost as bad as those who falsely cry rape.

Lots of damage could have been done between the various communities in canada because of his stupidity.

I had doubts abt this case from day 1 when i first heard abt it because as the story goes once ppl cry wolf, it's hard to take any kid who goes through this so called "hair cutting attacks" seriously.