'I was asked to urinate in my nephews' mouth'

Guest mehtab

http://www.newindpress.com/Newsitems.asp?I...s+India&rLink=0

'I was asked to urinate in my nephews' mouth'

DANAULI (SAFIDON): At 65, Sheesha Singh of this dusty hamlet was asked to urinate in the mouth of his nephews along with whom he had been apprehended by the police on the suspicion of cow-slaughtering and kept at the Safidon police station on the night of September 11.

His refusal let loose a trail of inhuman torture. The cops, allegedly under the influence of liquor, tied the three Sikh farmers by the hair, threw them on the floor, and kept beating until two of them fell unconscious.

But for the timely intervention by the villagers who reached the police station in the wee hours, Safidon would not have missed becoming another Jhajjar. The incident provoked a string of protests but after the appeal made by villagers to Chief Minister Om Prakash Chautala failed, they gheraoed the police station on Monday. Succumbing to pressure, the police registered a case under the demanded sections and also named the SHO in the FIR.

The police have so far suspended five cops for their involvement in the incident. These include SHO Ishwar Singh Rathi, ASI Ishawar Singh, head constable Nand Kishore, constable Ranvir Singh and driver Kuldeep Singh.

Rajiv Sharma, Deputy Commissioner of Jind, admitted that the policemen had committed atrocities. Action had been taken following an inquiry, he said. "There had been excesses but nobo

dy's religious belief was hurt. Vested interests seemed to have blown the incident out of proportions," he told this website's newspaper at Jind.

The farmers narrated their nightmarish experience with horror writ large on their faces. Thus goes their story. Sheesha Singh along with his three nephews _ Asa Singh, Kulwinder Singh and Daler Singh _ loaded four stray cows and two calves who had been damaging their crops, to be delivered at the local gaushala at Safidon.

But as they approached the township, a group of 12 youths started trailing them on bicycles nurturing the suspicion that they had slaughtered a cow. "They chased us from village Khera Khemawati until we reached the town and later complained to head constable Nand Kishore who took us to the police station," narrated Sheesha.

"The SHO accused us of being Muslims and ordered his men to teach us a lesson. All our appeals fell on deaf ears. The policemen first removed our turbans and then tied us together with our hair. We were dumped in a corner and were given sound thrashing. The cops even kicked us on our wounds," alleged Asa Singh.

"The SHO went to sleep around midnight but before retiring to bed he ordered his men not to separate us as he would repeat the act during daytime and separate us only after cutting our hair," alleged Daler who was hit on his private parts badly.

When the three asked for water, the police allegedly asked Sheesha Singh, the eldest of them, to urinate in their mouths. "I said I would better die than do this," said Sheesha, adding that it provoked the cops who snatched the kirpan of Kulwinder Singh and threw it into the drain.

The farmers showed their wounds to the chief minister during his visit to Jind but to no avail. The police named the

SHO in the FIR only after the villagers gheroaed the police station.

Kamal Sharma, a local Congress leader who led the agitation, said the incident had unmasked the anti-farmer face of the chief minister.