Difficult situation

rs1

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh,

hello to everyone, this is my first post on this forum and unfortunately is no of a pleasant nature.

I am a 26 year old Sikh male from the USA, as I was growing up my parents did not really bother with teaching me and my siblings about religion. That had been the case so far until recently I attended a close family Akand path and spent much of the weekend in the Gurdwara and doing sewa. Once the weekend was over I felt that there was something missing from my life, that being religion. Since the Akand Path I have spent much time in the Gurdwara doing sewa and listening to kirtan. I have also taken the decision to give up meat and alcohol. It has been over a month now and I am very much content with my inner peace I have been able to attain.

The problem however is that I have been in a relationship with a Hindu girl for three years now and we are quite serious about each other. Previously when we spoke of marriage she was content that if we were to have children after marriage they would be brought up as Sikhs. This however isn't the issue I feel my main concern now is that our children could end up loosing their religious identity and their cultural roots as if they were to marry a person of a different faith (which I wouldn’t approve of) I could not disapprove of because I would have done the same.

As you can see I am in quite a dilemma as firstly I dearly love this girl and she is everything a man could want in a woman, loving, caring affectionate etc.. and I would not want to loose her or break her heart and have to end a relationship of over three years. Secondly my faith means alot to me and even though I was not brought up in a religious household I would like our children to be. Also to help Sikhism flourish in future generations.

Please read this post and reply with an open mind, I know many people think I should just break it off with her but she really is as dear as my own life and vice versa.

thank you

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Sat Sri Akal:

First, much respect for starting on the Sikhi path.

Now, the things you are telling us...have you told these to your lady friend? If not, it may be time to have a long talk about and be completely honest with each other. Better to get this out and openly discussed with her now and make some decisions. What Gurbar Akaal Sahib has said is a good suggestion to do as well.

Introduce her to Sikhi and make her feel the pyar your feeling right now.

104218[/snapback]

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I think that Gurbar Akaal is right!... maybe if u introduce her to sikhi and tell her more about it .. she'll start to understand what ur getting at... Breaking up with her after 3 years grin.gif ... probley wouldn't be the greatest idea.. as u said u wouldn't want to break her heart etc... i doubht she would want to convert into being a sikh... but maybe if she gets the knowledge of sikhi she'll want to become a sikh to...... i guess u can try it out! hopefully that helped

bhul chuk maff!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

breaking up is actually quite rong. i min who else will u find? huna? i mean 3 yrs who else gna give u dat?! n judging from ur age 3 more yrsd wid anova gal seems too long.. if u get me blush.gif . pray 2 waheguru 4 a solution wid true heart. HE will answer it..

remember: hope for the best... expect the worse.

i mean maybe u werent destined 2 be wid her afta all (soz parji for being bad but i haf 2 say it) i mean who can understand God's game? maybe these 3 yrs was just a way 2 give u more experience of life.. geting u closer 2 sikhi. wotever happens, always thank god. :doh:

Good luck with woteva decision u make. May God Bless u.

WAHEGURU!!!!!

WAHEEEEEGUUURUUUUU

hope i helped