Sikhism in Hindi films/ Dramas/ Soaps

Guest Sukhjeet Panesar

"same WAY WE THE diamonds cannot be priced byTHESE fools of TELEVISION JUST IGNORE IT.

AND CHANT WAHEGUROO DAY AND NIGHT "

That's fine but how can the sikhs ignore their identity being misrepresented over satelite which reaches 100's of millions of people? The reason tv serials and movies do this stuff to sikhs is because we have been ignoring it and so these bahman's are like man these so-called hard-core sikhs who used to die for their faith are pretty soft and vulnerable. I never saw hindi serials and movies misrepresent Islam, but our faith is like a toy for them they throw it that way and this way.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

Going by this thread one gets the distinct impression, that 'bahman's' are personally directing Hindi/Hindu movies and personally giving directions that all sikhs should be maligned etc.

It sounds weird and most probably know it is slightly farfetched a claim to be true. But what is true is that there used to be plenty of Sikh jokes etc, which got translated into similar attitude in movies. Now one does not know the origin of these jokes, but they are mostly of the harmless variety, and every Sikh must be careful to see that they draw a line which is not to be crossed in such matters. Apparently such consciousness was lacking in era 60s/70s era when most of these jokes were made and everything was taken in your stride.

The main fault of hinduism as I see it was too liberal a religion for its times and in the particular region in question it was surrounded esp in North India by medeival societies like the Islamists who could see no liberal views nor could they hear any and were determined to follow their medieval way of life which they do until today.

Guest Guest
I never saw hindi serials and movies misrepresent Islam, but our faith is like a toy for them they throw it that way and this way.

Well if you ask the pakistanis they will say that their brand of Islam is misrepresented in Indian movies like Gadar/Border etc. They are all shown as fanatics etc. You probably know that the average pakistani spends more time watching hindi movies than their own.

You might also have noticed that in Hindi movies of the 80s and 90s almost all the criminals were called D'Souza or Gonzalez or D'Costa. I never heard the christians protesting this blatant mass misrepresetation though they might have had many grudges.

I get the feeling that the Hindi film industry does stereotype certain communities especially if they know that they can't hit back. In that sense they are hypocritical. Also sensitivity training wasn't a strong point with Indians until recently. But things are changing slowly and I hope they keep changing for the better.

Guest Guest

Mind you muslims were also portrayed as villains but they were portrayed as villains with a 'Noble heart' and they always die heroically saying their kalma or whatever.

This glorification of muslim criminals started especially when the muslim underworld of bombay gained prominance and started producing movies under their frontman etc.

wel if u fink bout it, if the producers/directors or huever participate in making of the film, der must be sikhz in dere, y cant they stop em from doing such behsthee. Da 1 film dat mkes me angry iz "Run" in der, derz a Singh (on da bad syd) and gets slapped around 24/7. No matter wat he just gets slapped for no reason for just coming in the way.

"The main fault of hinduism as I see it was too liberal a religion for its times and in the particular region in question it was surrounded esp in North India by medeival societies like the Islamists "

yeah ok liberalreligion my u know what, what about the laws of manu my freind, shudras couldn't worship, women died on the funeral pyres of their husbands and brahmans were considered holy, come on man wake up. What are you talking about. A liberal religion that killed off Budhism in India?!

And you example og Muslims being misreepresented in Hindi films from the perspective of pakistanis dude you are totally missing the point. Like most people you are missing thsi point my liberal freind:

Hindi movies show that Sikhi is not a distinct religion, they show sikhs worshipping idols, doing havans, putting tikas on their foreheads etc. Hindi films do not disrespect the Quran or Islamic tenets. Do you get what I'm saying? Your comparing religious portrayal and the portrayal of a neighboring nation. Your comparing apples to oranges. The issue is sikh identity man. Your making the same mistake that the bahmans in india are making.

• 1 year later...
Guest rakesh ahuja

I dont belong with sikh family but i m punjabi and i admire the sikhism and follow the rules of sikhism. i have been going GURUDWARA daily for six years. i m mere 22. i have mostly seen that girls who believe in fashion and want to beat fashion. they come to GURUDWARA in fashionable dress. when they bow in front of BABA JI they become naked from back side. it is a shameful. many time they get enter inside without covered their head. and mostly they bow their head in front of NISHAN SAHIB without covered. no body of society (GUEUDWARA kameti) say them any word about these offendness. whenever i tried to say something to girls then kameti murmured that the boy is teasing the girl and they say us that u come to gurudwara not for seeing BABAJI for teasing girls. but i dont care of then and even today i go to gurudwara. with the help of this massage i want to take ur notice that u should make the criterieas about these offendness. i dont have so knowledge about sikhism but i think that it should not happen.

if something is wrong inside it then plz forgive me. these were my ideas that i told u.

Rakesh ahuja

malviya nagar jaipur

Guest Guest

I agree that every thread on this forum has become a 'bash' hindu thread. there are way too many generalizations on this forum, that weren't here b4. bollywood TOTALLY misrepresents sikhs, and the indian government does the same. but that is no reason to generalize all hindus and all muslims. Sarbat Da Bhalla!

It seems that with our every thread ...that the whole world is set to destroy Sikhism...

The Hindus are bad and are State Funded Terrorists...the muslims are set to destory the sikhs frm the time of Origin...the christinas are saved till now...the various sects of Sikhs are also the worst people on earth.

According to the posts I feel we on this forum are only the enlightened ones.

You need to understand and realize that there is nothing religeous and political involved in BOllywood.

It was what they can get encashed for.If it involved Punjabi Culture.

Be it Muslims or Hindus or Sikhs.

I get to see south Indians get demeaned in so many films with their accent stuff.

does that mean the Producer is an anti LTTE agent.

Go to Gurudwara....listen to Simran....Sleep Well...Be Aware ...Work More.....Spread Awareness .......and Defend your rights but not when you are not being offended.

The Sikhs by far have a lot of respect and regard for their boldness and love for thier roots than any other community even after all this being shown in Movies... and NRIs please come to India and then speak.

Hate is taking us nowhere.

I know some body now will post these words of mine in quotes and then claim that Im a also unaware and incomplete in my opinion.

But thats ok.

SSA. WJKK WJKF

IK ONG KAR SATGUR PARSAD!

Friends,

Do we need any sort of a certificate from people from any X Y Z religion?

If these XYZ come up something stupid or make fun of others, they are only giving us a peep into their weird insight and all the more weird sense of humor!

TAKE PRIDE IN THY SELF and let the others go for a hike!!

bhul chuk maaf karnee jee!