Raj Babbar announces film on Maharaja Ranjit Singh

Guest mehtab

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20030924/...4/punjab1.htm#4

Raj Babbar announces film on Maharaja Ranjit Singh

Poonam Batth

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, September 23

The love of the soil and stories of its soldiers are tugging at him again. And Raj Babbar is more than just paying attention. He is making it a movie, “The Land of The Five Rivers: Maharaja Ranjit Singh”.

In town today to attend the sanman samaroh held at the Punjab Vidhan Sabha to honour freedom fighter legislators and their next of kin, Raj Babbar announced the Rs 25-crore project and talked of the hows and whys behind the retelling of the Maharaja story. “Maharaja Ranjit Singh’s character, his philosophy and his heroism have somehow always touched me. I think the man of that intellect and stature deserves to be remembered and learnt lessons from,” said the actor.

Talking about the idea behind such ventures, he said that it was high time that real heroes were made reel heroes so that the “younger generation gets to know about such personalities”.

“The film,” says Babbar, “is about Punjab, Punjabiyat and its joint frontiers”. And interestingly there are enough sitting out there in France meaning to be part of the project. The movie is going to be an Indo-French collaboration with ample technical assistance from France as well. French and Indian historians would be working on this big and expensive project. And the film, says Babbar, would be shot in Punjab, Rajasthan and Pakistan. But what of the blood dripping barbed wires? “I don’t see any tension right now. I feel such projects can only

get the two countries to diffuse tension and make a beginning of a warmer kind,” says Babbar. In fact, he’s already planned to shoot a good part of the film across the Lahore-Khyber Pass. The film, as he plans, should be ready in one and a half years.

Cast? The actor isn’t disclosing too much on this project. But he means to make full use of Punjabi troops to portray Sikhs in a large number, particularly in the war sequences. The Punjab Government, while showing keenness on the project has extended all possible help. “I do not want to ask the government for any money, even though the cost of the project is huge but if there is any provision under which they could sanction money for films on such subjects, I would be happy to seek it.’’

He disclosed that the Chief Minister, Capt Amarinder Singh, had already given him a go-ahead for shooting the film anywhere in Punjab. “It would be an asset to use the Khalsas of Punjab for the odd 30,000 troops in the war sequences than spend big money on their make-up.’’

“To a subject that has inspired me all these years. Hope I manage to do some justice to the story of a man with such a brilliant mind,” hopes Babbar. It would be launched on November 13, the birthday of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, and will be made both in Punjabi and English. For the purpose of gathering the right kind of facts, help will be sought from the libraries of Punjabi University, Patiala, and the museum in Amritsar.

Mr Babbar said, “Although a three-hour film cannot summarise the entire life of larger-than- life people like Maharaja Ranjit Singh or Shaheed Bhagat Singh, yet such films can evoke reflection of the character and interpret for the viewers’’.

He is looking forward to the release of LoC ( Line of Control) in January next year and his dynamic role as Col Khushal Thakur, who evicted the intruders from Tiger Hills. Another film of his “Sheen” deals with the problem of refugees from Kashmir. “In fact Kashmir is with us only because of the efforts of persons like

Maharaja Ranjit Singh, Mokham Das, and Phula Singh in striving for a united Punjab.’’ Later, he was honoured by the Chief Minister for his contribution to Punjabi cinema and the cause of Punjabiat.

i have always wished we made movies on baba banda singh bahadur, maharaja ranjit singh, hari singh nalwa, akali phula singh, jassa singh ramgarhia, jassa singh ahluwalia etc...this would show the valor n bravery of Sikhs...hana ?

They don't make flims like 'Nanak Nam jahaj hai' etc no more. The old punjabi films were the best, not necessarily religious but old punjabi films had great feel to them. All most all the big bollywood names Sunil datt, Madan puri, Kapoor Family , started their careers with punjabi films.

Now lets look at the new type of sikhi films. I see them nothing more than a publicity stunt. The directorr / producer think that they will get Sikhs on their side, if they make films about them, not only that they have a definate audience ( sikhs are definatly gonna watch a film about sikhi issues no matter how good or bad the film is.

So My idea of a sikhi film is one maybe two songs max and don't add bollywood garbage into it.