Don't Freak . . . I'm A Sikh

asmlondon

This forum is there to discuss everything as long as it is within the forum guidelines. The reason why you see so many threads which discuss Islam is because as many of the forum members are from the UK we have just had 52 people murdered by Muslims on the streets of London on a transport system that thousands of Sikhs use everyday. As a consequence of this Sikhs have had to suffer a backlash through no fault of their own. I believe that these are now important issues for the Sikh, hence the need for this thread. Some members may have made some rude comments but that does not detract from the need for such a thread.

There are some threads where there is criticism of Islam especially when it's tenets are compared with those of Sikhi. The comments on these threads are factual and i have yet to come across anyone being able to show the comments as being incorrect. you are free to correct any errors regarding your religion on these threads.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never have I said do not talk about Islam you are free to do so. If i ignore people who ask me about Islam when I have specifically asked not to be then I may miss out on other posts of theirs which may be beneficial and informative for me so I choose not to do this option of ignore.

I didnt mean for the subject of this thread to be messed up so please continue to talk about the t-shirt previously mentioned

NaamRas  Aug 7 2005, 06:41 PM Post #22 

Hau Kyaa Saalaahee Kiram Janth

Group: Members

Member No.: 1410

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I just found out a few days ago that my good mate from Uni, who is an Amritdhari Singh, was the person who invented this T-Shirt.  This Singh travels across London a lot on the Tube.

I was trying to get him to sign up to SikhSangat to give his side of the story ... but he was going to leave for holiday on the day I found out for 2 weeks to some remote part of the world.

The whole T-Shirt does not only say "Don't Freak ... I'm a Sikh". This message is only displayed on the back. On the front, there is a Khanda on the top left hand corner, and a quote across the middle saying "Recognise the human race as One," by Guru Gobind Singh. Basically, it translates "Maanas Kee Jaat Sabhae Eakae Pehchaanbo".

Thus, whilst distinguishing between Sikhs and Muslims, it also seeks to educate the public with a positive message on the teachings of our Gurus.

Basically, he said he has received good feedback from this T-shirt, becos when he walks around the tube and London, people are acknowledging his separate identity. 100's of people have given him smiles, acknowledgements, etc., of the problems faced by Sikhs since the London terrorist bombings. Others have also come to him and spoken to him personally about the need for unity in these difficult times, and how we should all be united against terrorists. People have realised that Sikhi teaches respect and equality for all persons, regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, etc.

He only decided to make out this T-shirt after facing racist abuse on the Tube, due to his distinct Khalsa Saroop. Thus, this T-shirt has had a positive impact.

I did put it to him isn't it a bit harsh on Muslims, as it suggests that one should be careful of Muslims, becos they are all terrorist "freaks". He acknowledged that it might be interpreted in this way, but he decided that first and foremost his duty was to protect Sikhs and educate the public about Sikhs/Sikh identity. Thus far, he has been successful in his objectives.

When he comes back from holiday, he will be making this T-Shirt available at cost price, for all Sangats, probably at about £10-£12.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguroo

Naam Ras please post info as to when Singh comes back from his holiday and where they will be availible from.

:wub:

Yeah I def want a T Shirt. Does it have a link to a website on the t shirt so that if someone see's a "Sikh" and due to lack of education doesnt know what a Sikh is they can logon to net and find out about Sikhi. How many t shirts are availible? If any one knows where to get them from?  :wub:

115570[/snapback]

Here's the link to buy it from!

http://www.cafepress.com/

Just type in Sikh into your search!

Many good points. I see how it is suggested that the shirts educate. However, they do more. They also easily and slyly suggest, ... that if it is a muslim it's OK to freak especially if one is wearing a TURBAN.

I don’t recall 911 hijackers, subway bombers, sadaam… wearing turbans. But how many innocent muslim civilians wearing turbans died simply defending their home and dignity from being invaded in Iran or Afghanistan? How much of the western world did not give a @## cause they are “turbaned people”. We suggest that a Muslim who wants to raise his/her kids, live, love and laugh like anyone else is a terrorist because we associate them with wearing a turban. Sounds like a strangely familiar sentiment don’t you think?

As Sikhs we are suggesting, “It is wrong to discriminate based on TURBANS, but Muslims turbans should be discriminated against”? Anyone recall the original target in France which effectively makes Sikhi illegal in that country?

To clarify, I don’t care for Islamic religious, Christian religious zeal, hypocritical French Secularist Religious zeal… or any faith that is insecure about other faiths. However, a message such as the T-shirt takes on a different meaning in different places. If we want to stand up for rights and be brave etc., lets wear the same shirt in Pakistan, Iran or somewhere else where certain Muslims might be oppressing other faiths.

However, if we claim to be brave and as such want to ensure that we are not naïve/phollay in Britain or America wear a shirt that says

BLAIR AND BUSH ARE WAR CRIMINALS

or

BE AFRAID

of your own ignorance