Raza Murad

Raju

Raza Murad, the bollywood actor and villain. Is he a punjabi ?? He has acted in a lot of old punjabi movies. I am asking this question because it is very rare to see Indian punjabi muslim these days.

nt1.jpg

119879[/snapback]

Yea, he used to star in those dodgy punjabi movies back in the 70s/80s and early 90s. I think he is Punjabi, dont know about being Sikh. His first film was in 1946 Shahar Se Door and has continued actng till this very day.

Filmography http://www.indiafm.com/celebrities/filmography/10659/

There is another tidbit about him, I have read from an internet site that his father is one old hindi movie actor called 'Murad' who passed away sometime in the 80s.

Murad it is said originally hails from a place called Rampur in U.P.

But here is his son Raza Murad who speaks Punjabi fluently and acts in Punjabi movies. I find it confusing.

Raza Murad is a Punjabi Indian Muslim.

There are a lots of Punjabi Muslims from India - Punjab settled here in Punjabi esp from Amristar dist and Gurdaspur here in Australia.

Don't forget some Punjabi Muslims stayed back in India after the partation.

When I went to India some times ago I met a lots of Punjabi Muslims in Jallander, Ludhiana - there are about 30,000 still in Ludhiana dist, Forezepur, Hoshierpur and Gurdaspur dists.

Most of them write Gurmukhi infact I managed to get a Koran written in Gurmukhi as well.

Most of them share same surnames like us. In Jallander there are 20 mosques and in Chandighar there are about 25 as well.

a friend of mine from Punjab told me that the Punjab government always has a Muslim MP from Malerkotla as its their way of paying respect to the Nawab of Malerkotla who protested and walked out of Wazir Khan's court when the chhote sahibjaade were ordered to be bricked alive. Also, in 1947 when India was partitioned and religious rioting was prevalent, loads of Muslims were butchered all over Punjab except those from Malerkotla.

The veteran actor Murad, who is Raza Murad's father was from Rampur in U.P. Even Raza Murad has previously stood for election from Rampur on Samajwadi Party (local party of U.P.) ticket.

Rampur was earlier belonged to Rohillkhand and was populated by Rohilla Pathan tribes. These were basically people from Peshawar and assorted areas who settled in Rohillkhand during the period when Rampur passed onto the hands of the Nawab of Rohilkhand or Rampur.

So it looks like Murad, Raza Murad's father, must have married a punjabi muslim lady and that is probably how the son is into punjabi movies and he speaks fluent punjabi etc.

no they share jatt surnames like cheema, bajwa, sidhu, maybe rai, etc..sorry about the caste thing but i think that is what the previous post was trying to say...

120162[/snapback]

Yes they do and I know many of them as I travelled a lot in Pakistan Punjab and by the way Dishad Akthar did make many Gurbani and Kirteen tapes as well.

I know a lot of Uppal, Cheema, Gill, Sidhu and so many Punjabi Muslims as well. And in Lahore there is still a printing press that prints Gurmukhi books and by the way in many parts of Pakistan Punjab Gurmukhi is still taught.

Most of the muslims that has got Jaat surnames are now begining to come back to sikh fold, I am writing a book called "Once we were Sikhs and Hindus" which gives many interviews that I took in Pakistan Punjab with ex Sikhs and Hindus with their stories how they converted to Islam and how they are slowly slowly coming back to Sikh fold.