Aarteee

sall

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

The Guru Khalsa Panth has agreed and declared [the practice of] Aarti is Manmat, as per written in the SRM.

Veer Jee ... could you clarify your stand please ... in my view and understanding of Sikh Rehat Maryada, it is not the singing of Aarti de Shabad (which is Gurbani) that is ManMat, but only the physical acts of dhoof, thaal, etc. The former is accepted by the Panth, and practised at the most holiest of Sikh Gurudwaras, whereas the latter is condemned. Are we in agreement on this?

Waheguroo

125323[/snapback]

He means the dhoof anf batti and deeva and thaal. Not the Shabad. Shabad is part of Sohila Sahib so how can we not read it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Sher Punjabi,

Firstly, please note I was only relaying the message and not putting forward my personal view - surely if one wishes to understand what others do and why, we need to look at things from their perspective - whether we agree with it or not is another matter.

As per your second point:

<<Some people honour kings and emperors with animal sacrifices or in some cases human sacrifices, does that mean we should do that as well to show honour and sovereignty to Guru Granth Sahib Ji?>>

Strangely enough, yes, you'll probably find that those who practice Aarti with lamps in front of Maharaj (i.e. Nihangs etc) do in fact sacrifice animals (see accounts fo Jatka and Chatanga at Hazoor Sahib during the completion of Chandi Paath or Dasam Granth Akhand Paath).

Again, before enough seeks to lynch me personally, I'm only supplying information and not advocating any practice.

Gur Fateh!

Niranjana.

yaa..

i was jsut about to ask that ..

during akhand paahts .. well mainly the ones at home i geuss (where i have seen it done) they have jhots lit up .. nexxt to guru ji while the akhand paaht goes on .. is this gurmat ? please give sources .. im very curious ..

i remember one time when i was small .. i wanted to blow the jhot out .. lol .. and my mom got all angry wit me and was like no .. it has to be lit for the full three days .. why is this so ..

Extract from Panthic Weekly's "Understanding the Sikh Rehat Maryada" weekly issue (SECTION 3, Chapter IV – Gurduwaras, Congregational Etiquette, Rites

Article V) by Bhai Gurmukh Singh:

(d) Anything except the afore-mentioned reverential ceremonies, for instance, such practices as the arti with burning incense and lamps, offering of eatables to Guru Granth Sahib, burning of lights, beating of gongs, etc., is contrary to gurmat (the Guru’s way). However, for the perfuming of the place, the use of flowers, incense and scent is not barred. For light inside the room, oil or butter-oil lamps, candles, electric lamps, kerosene oil lamps, etc. may be lighted.

Aarti (waving lights before an image) is something condemned in Gurbaani.  However, Sikhs who have been influenced by Brahmanism or who are ignorant of Gurbaani have incorporated the Hindu form of worship of doing Aarti.  Instead of using an idol, ignorant Sikhs have made Guru Granth Sahib an idol to physically worship through waving platters filled with lamp lights, incense, and flowers.

When Baba Ravidaas Ji was asked to perform Aarti, he refused to do.  He replied:

nwmu qyro AwrqI mjnu murwry ] hir ky nwm ibnu JUTy sgl pwswry ]1] rhwau ]

O Lord! (Ignorant people do Aarti (worship through waving lights, but for me) Your Name, Lord, is Your Aarti, adoration, and cleansing bath (of pilgrimages). Without the Name of the Lord, all ostentatious displays are false and useless. ||1||Pause|| (Ang 694, SGGS)

When Guru Nanak Sahib Ji travelled to Banaras, the Brahman Pandits invited Guru Ji to join them to do Aarti of God. Guru Nanak Sahib Ji agreed and went and sat inside the Mandir.  The Pandits stood in front of the stone idol gods and started to wave platters with lights, incense and offering place on it.  When they had finished they complained to Guru Nanak Sahib Ji. “You said you would join us to do the Aarti of God, but you remain sat on the floor with your eyes closed!”  Guru Nanak Sahib Ji then replied with this Shabad: 

ggn mY Qwlu riv cMdu dIpk bny qwirkw mMfl jnk moqI ] DUpu mlAwnlo pvxu cvro kry sgl bnrwie PUlµq joqI ]1] kYsI AwrqI hoie ] Bv KMfnw qyrI AwrqI ] Anhqw sbd vwjMq ByrI ]1] rhwau ]

The whole sky is (as if) the plate. The sun and moon are the lamps (placed in the plate). The stars and their orbs, are as if, studded pearls (in the plate). The wind fragranced with sandalwood is as if the (temple) incense. The wind is the fan. All the plants of the world are the altar flowers in offering to You, O Luminous Lord. ||1|| (In nature) what a beautiful Aartee, lamp-lit worship service of You is this! O Destroyer of Fear, this is Your Aarti, Ceremony of Light. The Unstruck Sound-current of the Shabad (vibrating within all the creation) is as if the (temple) drums are being played. ||1||Pause|| (Ang 13, SGGS)

Offering food to Guru Granth Sahib Ji is again a Brahmanical ritual performed before the stone idols, which ignorant Sikhs have been influenced into doing before Guru Granth Sahib Ji.  The Shabad is our Guru.  Guru Granth Sahib Ji is not a human being, and therefore does not get sleepy, hungry or thirsty.

It mentions in Sikh Rehat Maryada not to light Jyots unless it for light i.e. there is no religious merit or gain in lighting a Jyot.

It hasn't been explained on Panthic Weekly why we shouldn't do this.

Perhaps because its a waste of ghee (ghio) which could instead be better spent and used by feeding the poor (as ghee is expensive in India, unless your a farmer or have cows).

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

ok we should follow what we told in Rehat Maryada but jhot has been lit since ages and that too by really spiritual and religious ppl who actually know what they on abt or so I think, I know I'm talking really general but maybe anyone can comment on that.

Also I don't understand why there is an issue of we should not offer food, should we not get bhog done on the langar? I mean at the Gurdwara I go to they do bhog on the degh so why not on the langar as welll, surely cant be wrong to get food blessed and offered to Guru Ji before digging into the kheer?

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Also I don't understand why there is an issue of we should not offer food, should we not get bhog done on the langar? I mean at the Gurdwara I go to they do bhog on the degh so why not on the langar as welll, surely cant be wrong to get food blessed and offered to Guru Ji

I agree, the bhog should be done on the Langar.. but not all Gurdwara's do.

Its much better to have the "seet parshad" of the food blessed by Guru Jee

Guest militant singh

NIDDAR SINGH AND HIS CRAPPY CREW NEED 2 BE SET STRAIGHT THEY R BRAINWASHING THE YOUTHS WHO DONT KNOW MUCH IN 2 THIER EVIL CULT OF MEAT EATING GOAT CHOPIN BLOOD DRINKIN &IDOL WORSHIPING THEY ARE ALSO AGAINST PRO SKH FREEDOM MOVEMENT AND R ANTI KHALISTANI -AND THEY CUSS THE SHAHEEDS THAT DIED DEFENDING THE GOLDEN TEMPLE ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AS 4 THE AARTI ITS WRONG FULL STOP FIRES AND THALS WONT DO NUFFIN ITS A HINDU RITUAL AND IT DISGUSTS ME WEN I SEE IT HAPPENIN @ HAZOOR SAHIB NO WONDER NIDDARS CREW LOVES HAZOOR SAHIB SO MUCH THEY DO THE SAME THERE EG STUPID PATHETIC SACRAFICES

CUTIN UP GOATS THEN THEY CALL DEM SELVES NIHANGS WHAT A JOKE THE AARTI IS WRONG -ANTIGURMAT - IF A SIKH DOES THAT IN MY VIEW HES JUS A HINDU NUFFIN ELSE Y DONT AKAL TAKHT INTERVENE ???????????????????WJKKWJKF KHALISTAN ZINDABAAD

Militant Singh,

What are your thoughts on the use of Jyots during an Akhand Paath and also on the offering of Degh to Guru Sahib? The "Sikh" Rehit Maryada is quite clear on these topics as above, however even outside of the "Sanatan" camp, we can see such practicses in vogue amongst the DDT and Nanaksar institutions.