You Yearn To Meet With God, Then Why Delay?

Awsw mhlw 5 ]

soie rhI pRB Kbir n jwnI ]

She remains asleep, and does not know the news of God.

Boru BieAw bhuir pCuqwnI ]1]

The day dawns, and then, she regrets. ||1||

pRB imlby kI lwlsw qw qy Awlsu khw krau rI ]1] rhwau ]

You yearn to meet with God, so why do you delay? ||1||Pause||

kr mih AMimRqu Awix inswirE ]

He came and poured His Ambrosial Nectar into your hands,

iKsir gieE BUm pir fwirE ]2]

but it slipped through your fingers, and fell onto the ground. ||2||

swid moih lwdI AhMkwry ]

You are burdened with desire, emotional attachment and egotism;

dosu nwhI pRB krxYhwry ]3]

it is not the fault of God the Creator. ||3||

swDsMig imty Brm AMDwry ]

In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, the darkness of doubt is dispelled.

nwnk mylI isrjxhwry ]4]25]76]

O Nanak, the Creator Lord blends us with Himself. ||4||25||76||

When someone is tired or feeling sleepy, their yawns predict he/she is sleepy without them even having to say it. Sometimes a person tries very hard to hide that fact they are tired. Be it amongst people, a meeting, be it a subject or topic which he has no interest in, a person starts to feel tired. This proves that we start getting sleepy only when a certain subject or topic is brought up which we have no interest in.

The subject, the topic, the issue, which one has no interest in, doesn’t find it important, doesn’t matter who is talking about it, the person will still feel sleepy. When we feel sleepy, no matter how much we try to hide it, it cannot be hidden. We start to yawn, we lose interest, don’t answer any questions, mind starts to wander, start to fidget, others start to realize that yes this person is starting to fall asleep. Take for example, when someone has no interest in Gurbani and the topic of Gurbani is being discussed, many find it boring, and cannot relate to it. Where truth is being discussed, they have no interest. Time and time again they look at their watch wondering when will the talk of about Gurus, about Gurbani, about Sikhi come to an end. I have been here long enough. Hence start to feel tired, and start falling asleep.

ijn ky icq kTor hih sy bhih n siqgur pwis ]

Those who have hearts as hard as stone, do not sit near the True Guru.

EQY scu vrqdw kUiVAwrw icq audwis ]

Truth prevails there; the false ones do not attune their consciousness to it.

Eie vlu Clu kir Jiq kFdy iPir jwie bhih kUiVAwrw pwis ]

By hook or by crook, they pass their time, and then they go back to sit with the false ones again.

ivic scy kUVu n gfeI min vyKhu ko inrjwis ]

Falsehood does not mix with the Truth; O people, check it out and see.

kUiVAwr kUiVAwrI jwie rly sicAwr isK bYTy siqgur pwis ]26]

The false go and mingle with the false, while the truthful Sikhs sit by the side of the True Guru. ||26||

When we fall asleep, we dream. Many want to dream while they are awake. So how come the dreams don’t come true? Because they are dreams. When we fall asleep in agyanthaa, we come to the Gurdwara in agyanthaa, we listen to kirtan in agyanthaa, and we listen to katha in agyanthaa. We have no gyaan. When we do everything sleeping, in agyanthaa, we have no control. So, if we have no control over it, then how does that benefit us? We should only do things that benefit us, that we have control over. When we sleep, we dream and these dreams many times change over and over again, and we have no control over if we want to dream this dream or not. We tend to forget our values in our dreams.

Recognize your sleep, your agyanthaa. You think you have earned a lot. You look at your bank balance and you get excited. But, your own child doesn’t even have a dastaar, doesn’t even have beautiful kes anymore. You think your rich. You did this all in sleep, in agyanthaa. You get excited over this false dreaming, and in reality it won’t get you anywhere, it will remain here in this false world.

You may get up from the sleep, but still will feel drowsy, like you did before you fell asleep. When a child gets up from their sleep, a parent is there to support them, because they are still in a state of drowsiness. They give their child a hand to make sure they don’t fall. To wake us up from our sleep, our Gurus went through so many difficulties. You keep on looking at all the maya in your sleep and get excited, but this maya is going to remain here even after death.

It took nearly 200 years for Guru Ji to complete Sikhi, and ten roops of Guru Ji for them to come to a decision that:

^wlsw myro rUp hY ^ws ]

^wlsy mih hO krO invws ]

If it took our Guru Ji 200 years to complete Sikhi, and you forget it in your sleep, then can you imagine how long it will take you to be fortunate enough to get this opportunity again? You are passed out in this sleep, agyanthaa, thinking you have earned so much maya, when in fact, you have earned nothing at all.

But Guru Ji has awoken you up with his sweetness, his Gurbani. But even after we have been awakened up from sleep, we are still in the state of drowsiness. We have no interest in Gurbani. For example, we are so lost in maya, that in our laziness, we have cut the hair of our children because we don’t want to get up an 1/2 hour early, we have started to give powdered milk instead of the milk our of our breast, instead of letting a child play in our laps, we start to take them to daycares. We have forgotten what our relationship is to our child, what our values are. Take for example, Maharaja Ranjit Singh’s son Maharaja Dilip Singh, lost his Sikhi saroop, when he was taken away from his mother. As long as he was with her, no one could take him away from Sikhi. By the time he found out his mother was still alive and went to meet her, his mom had lost her sight. Maharaja Dilip Singh went to his mother. His mother, after ‘seeing’ him after 20 years went to give him pyaar. Felt her son’s face, and when she felt his head, she found no kes. She pushed him away. She said don’t betray me, this cannot be my son. Maharaja Dilip Singh said to his mother, I am your son. But his mother said, I cannot forget the kes that I braided for so many years. Do not betray me. Maharaja Dilip Singh pleads with his mother, please take me in your arms just once, I am your son. I promise to you that I am your son, and I will become what you want me to. This mother, doesn’t even take her own son into her lap because her son didn’t have Sikhi Saroop, and what a shame to see all these mothers that cut the kes of their children over a mere 15 mins. If a mother doesn’t even have 15 mins for her child, then what kind a relationship is that?

Why do we fall asleep when it comes to our dharam? Why do we get so carried away in these false dreams, in this false maya? Guru Ji says, recognize your duties, because when the day dawns, you will regret it. If you want to meet Waheguru Ji, then you will have to wake up! Why delay?

Bhul Chuk Maaf