Kirpan Is Knife Says London University

blatisingh

Ealing, UK (KP) – Amandeep Kaur a Student at a Thames Valley University, West London, this week was told to leave her lecture because she was wearing a Kirpan. Amandeep who is starting her second year of studies at the University was told that some members had expressed concern over the Kirpan. Amandeep Kaur has worn the Kirpan to University the previous year as well with no problems.

Amandeep Kaur then went to see the Dean and to her shock she was told, “It’s a knife and is illegal.” This showed the little understanding that the University in west London had of the Sikh religion and Sikh way of life.

Amandeep says what she then did, “I smiled and said Sir it’s a kirpan, a symbol of my faith and I can not remove it ever.” The dean replied “I have no knowledge of Sikhs, and will talk to the health and safety at the university.”

It is shocking that a dean would have no knowledge of Sikhs especially in west London where there is a high number of Sikhs and Sikh Students. British Law recognises the Kirpan as a symbol of the Sikh faith and therefore allows initiated Sikhs to have it in there position legally.

Sikh Students through out UK keep Kirpan as part of the faith with no problem what so ever. For Themes Valley University to stop Amandeep Kaur is a violation of her human rights to practise there religious beliefs freely especially as the country’s law supports her.

It is hoped with the help of Sikh Student organisations she will be able to return to her classes as soon as possible with her Kirpan

OMG!!! ive told panthic guy already that i AM attending classes just dont know what they're guna do about the issue, although did receive a call from a goree today askin me to csll her, shes from tvu, so that cud be the call.

til then i was shocked a little with the article you know what i mean when i saw it wacko.gif

but guys no worries yet, ardas to vaheguru......will kepp posted coz may need help when the issue is raised with uni reps.

fateh jio

amandeep kaur

Bhenji i suggest you write an article yourself and send it to Panthic Weekly and they will publish it so you can share what's happening with other Sikhs.

Or you can email Fauja Singh who wrote the article is in charge of Europe news with details of what happened, implications and what you waiting next for you in regards to uni's stand on Kirpan.

Guru Rakha - keep in chardikala, i am sure this incident will turn out positive in the long term for educating TVU and other unis on Kirpan and Sikhi.

ive emailed him and article has been removed rolleyes.gif . The student union president nav sira has offered support and is going to attend a meeting with the faculty when the day is decided, they contacted me today.

Pajee thanks so much for all the advice you are giving me, really appreciate it and sorry if the message has become misinterpreted along the way about kirpan.

fateh jee.