The Amazing Guru Nanak

drawrof

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!

purpose of this thread: to reveal and bring forth information regarding guru nanak sahib that people may not be normally aware of.

motivation: As sikhs living in the west we are bounded to a eurocentric paradigm (simply, we have to think the way we are taught in the manners which we are taught). This goes from everything from the information in our textbooks to the way we understand gurbani. Ie. we, for some reason, tend to use a dualistic/static god and use a "western" methodology to try to understand god (ie. polarities....which are good examples to use when breaking through our relative perception of things, but claiming polar "static" goods...and polar "Static" bads leads to subcription of acts as opposed to an endeavour of self introspection).... before I sound like too much of a philosopher. I will continue with my purpose

to unearth facts regarding guru nanak that are overlooked

example: here is a list of the worlds explorers...I am assuming these people travelled by foot..... look at where guru nanak is, and notice how it isn't common knowledge.....whereas

1) marco polo is very well known, almost considered the benchmark by many

2) magellan...wasn't it also a search engine?

3) vasco de gama, christopher columbus...names speak for themself

4)does anyone know who batuta was?

Readers digest-Great World Atlas, published by the reader’s digest association. !962

The world explorers

Name Duration

Ibn batuta 32 years

Guru nanak 27 years

Marco polo 25 years

James cook 10 years

Ferdinand Magellan 4 years

Vasco de gama 3 years

Christopher Columbus 2 years

nope dont know who batuta was....... but thats awesome that Guru ji was mentioned in that publication.

Actually I see your point here. Heres someone that was on a journey almost 4 years longer then guru ji and we havnt heard of him, along with other explorers, you dont see buildings in remembernce of them all around the world.

but then again Guru Nanak dev ji travelled to spread the word of God. Not sure what these other dudes went for, maybe just sight seeing? but, yea its awesome how Guru ji's word lives on still and is still so strong :lol:

kilAwn mhlw 5 ]

kaliaan mehalaa 5 ||

Kalyaan, Fifth Mehl:

myry lwln kI soBw ]

maerae laalan kee sobhaa ||

O, the Wondrous Glory of my Beloved!

sd nvqn mn rMgI soBw ]1] rhwau ]

sadh navathan man ra(n)gee sobhaa ||1|| rehaao ||

My mind is rejuvenated forever by His Wondrous Love. ||1||Pause||

bRhm mhys isD muin ieMdRw Bgiq dwnu jsu mMgI ]1]

breham mehaes sidhh mun ei(n)dhraa bhagath dhaan jas ma(n)gee ||1||

Brahma, Shiva, the Siddhas, the silent sages and Indra beg for the charity of His Praise and devotion to Him. ||1||

jog igAwn iDAwn syKnwgY sgl jpih qrMgI ]

jog giaan dhhiaan saekhanaagai sagal japehi thara(n)gee ||

Yogis, spiritual teachers, meditators and the thousand-headed serpent all meditate on the Waves of God.

khu nwnk sMqn bilhwrY jo pRB ky sd sMgI ]2]3]

kahu naanak sa(n)than balihaarai jo prabh kae sadh sa(n)gee ||2||3||

Says Nanak, I am a sacrifice to the Saints, who are the Eternal Companions of God. ||2||3||