Punjab Opposes Nuclear Plant In Its Territory

Raju

In France 70% of power comes from Nuclear route, how many problems do you come across ?? The Indian nuclear scientists and community are very capable group, because even in majority of American nuclear research labs and facilities and NASA is manned by people of Indian origin. I have full confidence in their capabilities.

Moreover there are 2 extra nuclear power plants proposed in Tamil Nadu near kanyakumari (sea shore and near to densely populated Kerala) which already have installed capacity of 2000 MW. The French are most likely to set up 2 Nuclear Power Plants in Andhra Pradesh and the Russians will set up one more in Karnataka. Don't you think all those people are concerned about safety ??

142469[/snapback]

Have you ever seen a state project being implemented in India. Even for a simple school the thieving contracters steel the cement etc.

The Scientists may be capable, but the working of the Indian state is such that the scientists alone cannot ensure smooth building and functioning of a nuclear reactor.

What did the scientists do to stop four tons of heavy water being spilt at Rajasthan nuclear power plant ? Also what did the capable scientists do to stop a tube leak that caused a radioactive release of 12 Curies of radioactivity from Tarapur nuclear power station ?

When there are alternative sources for power such a localised biomass projects, solar etc etc what is the need to go for more nuclear plants ?

Just in Punjab how many people have them electric happy water heaters ? Must run into millions, Now if the government made it attractive to get solar water heaters, people would jump at the chance to get them installed. You could even have large communal set ups in villages with every one getting hot water.

If terrortists can get into the Parliament complex and launch an attack do you think security at a nuclear facility will be any tighter ?

Plenty of problems in France :

5 cubic meters of radioactive water were spilled at the Fessenheim nuclear power plant.

A failure of the core cooling system at Belleville nuclear power plant.

2 workers were contaminated at Dampierre nuclear power plant

There was flooding at the Cattenom nuclear power plant

The state can be as capable as it wants. In India the nuclear power industry was starved of funds as well depleting reserves of raw and quality uranium in its oldest uranium mine to go on expanding. The facilities were basic and things were being managed due to the ingenuity of our scientists. The meagre resources allocated to nuclear plants in the 'civilian sector' like Tarapur etc resulted in 'lowest tender' and poor quality of materials. Ofcourse the ones in Trombay, Dhruva, Cirus, Madras etc are military reactors and were well-funded and well run.

However the arrangement that we foresee is an international arrangement in co-operation with established entities like GE, Westinghouse, the French etc. It is their operation, if they can run nuclear plants safely in US and now recently in China, they will be able to replicate the same in India.

Have you ever seen a state project being implemented in India. Even for a simple school the thieving contracters steel the cement etc.

The Scientists may be capable, but the working of the Indian state is such that the scientists alone cannot ensure smooth building and functioning of a nuclear reactor.

I had read the topic title and had not read any posts, and then i came to the above statements by kurtas and i had been thinking the same even before reading the above reply.

In india, buildings fall, bridges collapse because contractors cut corners on every occasion. Who is to say this will not happen in this case. All it will take is one simple mistake.

I am totally against having a nuclear plant in punjab or anywhere close to populated areas.

Exactly.... France does not have a hostile neighbourer as well...... India has fought wars with pak and punjab was the front for that.... with a nuclear powerplant the risk to punjabis manifolds. Instead of going to nuclear option other viable option should be considered. Install one in U.P or rajshthan and provide its elcetricity to delhi, so punjab can get its genuine share from bhakra......

Any leak wont' be magically contained within the borders of Indian Punjab !

In india, buildings fall, bridges collapse because contractors cut corners on every occasion. Who is to say this will not happen in this case. All it will take is one simple mistake.

Local bridges are built by your small-time contractor. Comparing apples and oranges are you ? And none of the Indian reactors are Chernobyl type, so other than the minor aberrations nothing as serious as a leak will happen. In Canada the Pickering Nuclear Power Plant has houses that are right next to it.

Any leak wont' be magically contained within the borders of Indian Punjab !

Local bridges are built by your small-time contractor. Comparing apples and oranges are you ? And none of the Indian reactors are Chernobyl type, so other than the minor aberrations nothing as serious as a leak will happen. In Canada the Pickering Nuclear Power Plant has houses that are right next to it.

143519[/snapback]

The big contractors always sub contract work to small contracters. You want to live next to a nuclear plant you do so. I would not do so in Canada let alone in India.

Good job we have Amarinder Singh as CM and he understands the risks of nuclear power.