Beggars

curious_man

wht does sikhi says for beggars/begging?

on my way to the office...i see so many beggars...climate is soo harsh...  they have no homes... sometimes i feel pity and give them some change....

but i realized that begging is like there job... they r alwys thre on the same spot...now i cant give them moneydaily!! :@

dunno wht to say... just wanna know whts ure reaction... do u just ignore the beggars...

*** eh...just noticed...its my 400th post ...lol...tht was pretty quick following the 300th!! rolleyes.gif

141100[/snapback]

is ur office downtown area-ish ?

when i used to live in t.o. and we'd skip skool to go downtown we saw many beggers like u mentioned butt they were drug addicts and my older friends wud tell me that they used to offer them food (since giving them money wud just allow them to buy more drugs) but they wanted money instead

even wen i went to india u can tell who r beggers that reli hav no other means of earning money (if they hav no arms/legs, handicapped wit no education) and sum who r just not trying and r able to find a job

one time we went to a gurudwara in india and there were woman begging for money, and the parehdaar (hmm i cnt spell) there told us not to give her money, at first i wuz like wow tahts kinda harsh and he wont even tlel me why, that so sexist (cuz he wuz talkin to my dad n mama ji)

and then i asked them latr on whats up, n they didnt tell me either :@ but they told my mom n mami ji so i got it outa em

they said it wuz cuz those women were prostitutes and druggies durin the nite and beggers by day (and use the money they make durin the day to buy drugs/proper clothes for prostitution)

141143[/snapback]

kalyug!!!!.........Vaheguroooooooo where is the duniya at??i feel sorry for those women....how can anyone be happy with a life like that....if it is a life??!!!! no.gifno.gif

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't give em any money cus the ones down bham are all alchys/junkies

and my druggie friend told me the ones who sell the big issue down wolves buy heroin with the cash from the local dealer.

141861[/snapback]

DAMN ! :@no.gif Thats wrong

was doing sehaj paath and came across this shabad in Puran satguru SGGS Ji:

srb jwick eyku dwqw nh dUir sMgI jwhrw ] (456-5, Awsw, mÚ 5)

sarab jaachik ayk daataa nah door sangee jaahraa.

We are all beggars, He is the One and only Giver; He is not far away, but is with us, ever-present.

vis Bgq QIAw imly jIAw qw kI aupmw ikq gnI ] (456-5, Awsw, mÚ 5)

vas bhagat thee-aa milay jee-aa taa kee upmaa kit ganee.

He is in the power of His devotees; those whose souls are united with Him - how can their praises be sung?

iehu dwnu mwnu nwnku pwey sIsu swDh Dir crnI ]4]2]5] (456-6, Awsw, mÚ 5)

ih daan maan naanak paa-ay sees saaDhah Dhar charnee. ||4||2||5||

May Nanak receive this gift and honor, of placing his head on the feet of the Holy Saints. ||4||2||5||

was doing sehaj paath and came across this shabad in Puran satguru SGGS Ji:

srb jwick eyku dwqw nh dUir sMgI jwhrw ] (456-5, Awsw, mÚ 5)

sarab jaachik ayk daataa nah door sangee jaahraa.

We are all beggars, He is the One and only Giver; He is not far away, but is with us, ever-present.

vis Bgq QIAw imly jIAw qw kI aupmw ikq gnI ] (456-5, Awsw, mÚ 5)

vas bhagat thee-aa milay jee-aa taa kee upmaa kit ganee.

He is in the power of His devotees; those whose souls are united with Him - how can their praises be sung?

iehu dwnu mwnu nwnku pwey sIsu swDh Dir crnI ]4]2]5] (456-6, Awsw, mÚ 5)

ih daan maan naanak paa-ay sees saaDhah Dhar charnee. ||4||2||5||

May Nanak receive this gift and honor, of placing his head on the feet of the Holy Saints. ||4||2||5||

141916[/snapback]

:TH:

d_oh.gif Vaheguru pray.gif

Good topic.

I got to know a bit about beggers in Phagwara. I was sat in the car waiting outside some clothes shop for a few hours and watched as some beggars dressed as sadh making tours around the loha mandi area.

After a quick lap they would all congregate at a corner and discuss things with each other. If someone gave one some money the others would target the same person on their next tour. A few knocked on the car window and asked for money, as they were able bodied I asked them if they wanted jobs, I offered to pay them 100RS a day labour and their bus fare to my pind, but they did not want to know. One was very open he said they all lived close to the railway station at a place they termed Bhagatpura. A few of them looked as if they were on some sort of nasha.

The shop keeper sent a few samosa for me and the driver. I avoid food from outside so put it to oneside. A few minutes later a kid knocked the window claiming he was hungry etc. So I gave him the samosa. I had some barfi and apples in the car which I also offered to him but he declined. 2 minutes later he was back with a woman carrying a baby that looked as if it was drugged, this time they wanted money as they claimed they were hungry. Again I offered the fruit etc but they declined. They kept hovering about but got nothing.

I have seen a few people buy beggars food like flour, the cunning beggars sell it back to the shopkeeper at a slight discount.

The worst beggars are those men who hang around the airport in Delhi, after you have finished with a trolley they push it 2 feet away from your car and then demand money.

waheguru ji kekhalsa waheguru ji ke fateh

Pyare jio, I agree. Never give them money. When I was studying at London Uni, whenever we did a sikh society event. Any langar left over would be dropped off at Waterloo bridge and given to the homeless.

Up north, there is not really much of a homeless problem. But if I lived in toronto. I would ask all the local Gurdwaras on sunday, do give all their excess langar, rather than throwing it away. Collect it all one point and every sunday evening, go downtown to the same place every week and give it to the homeless free.

That would be spreading Guru Ji message.

waheguru ji kekhalsa waheguru ji ke fateh