Rehat

Jitty

Sangat ji,

Please can someone help me understand the following?

I was reading the rehat maryada on the damdami taksal website and it has the following

Five not to be associated with (i.e. not to eat with or marry your children to)

1. Tobacco users

People who smoke or use any form of tobacco (or drugs) are not to be associated with.

2. Female Infanticide

Those who kill their daughters at birth:

bRhmx kYlI Gwqu kM\kw AxcwrI kw Dwnu ]

iPtk iPtkw koVu bdIAw sdw sdw ABmwnu ]

“The following are all major sins:

a) Killing a Brahmgyani,

b) Killing a black cow

c) Killing or selling your daughter,

d) Eating from a person who has no moral discipline. Anyone who commits any of these has committed thousands of sins and this egotistical individual will be reprimanded thousands of times."

(SGGSJ Ang 1413)

kMinAw ko mwry mony ko kMinAW dyvy so qnKwhIAw ]

"They who kill their daughters and marry their daughters to those

who cut their hair are punishable."

(Rehatnama Bhai Deya Singh ji)

3. Those who sell their daughters

Those who receive money for the marriage of their daughters.

4. Those that cut some of their hair from their head

5. Those who completely shave all their hair from their face and head

A Hukamnama from Sri Akaal Takhat Sahib excommunicated Narakdharees on 30 June 1978.

Radha Soamis and other groups whom claim themselves to be the Guru and do not accept Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji as the Guru. These groups are not to be

associated with, married into or meals taken with them. If they take Amrit from Panj Pyare, keep the Khalsa Rehat and accept Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji as their Guru then they can be associated with and they are our brothers and sisters.

Most of this makes sense to me but I do not understand the piece about killing black cows, can anyone help?

Thanks

wjkkwjkp!

The Shabad is by Guroo Amar Daas Jee and has been added in the Rehat Maryada to emphasise the fact that ill-treating daughters is wrong.

The Pangati is:

This line has been translated differently on SikhiToTheMax and those who took on the seva of translating the Rehat Maryada into english, translated the Gurbaanee directly word for word; so it may not make direct sense in English.

The correct translation is "Killing a Brahmin, a cow or a female infant and eating from a person who has no moral discipline..."

iPtk iPtkw koVu bdIAw sdw sdw AiBmwnu ]

"...Anyone who commits any of these has committed thousands of sins and this egotistical individual will be reprimanded thousands of times."

It is vital to note that ALL cows in India are black...there are different types of breeds, however, the cow that Guroo Saahib talks about here is referring to a breed which is black, for this reason the Sevadaars chose to state it directly.

Hope this clears up some confusion. Apologise if i've been a little hazy in my attempt to answer your question.

wjkkwjkp!

wjkkwjkp!

The Shabad is by Guroo Amar Daas Jee and has been added in the Rehat Maryada to emphasise the fact that ill-treating daughters is wrong.

The Pangati is:

This line has been translated differently on SikhiToTheMax and those who took on the seva of translating the Rehat Maryada into english, translated the Gurbaanee directly word for word; so it may not make direct sense in English.

The correct translation is "Killing a Brahmin, a cow or a female infant and eating from a person who has no moral discipline..."

iPtk iPtkw koVu bdIAw sdw sdw AiBmwnu ]

"...Anyone who commits any of these has committed thousands of sins and this egotistical individual will be reprimanded thousands of times."

It is vital to note that ALL cows in India are black...there are different types of breeds, however, the cow that Guroo Saahib talks about here is referring to a breed which is black, for this reason the Sevadaars chose to state it directly.

Hope this clears up some confusion. Apologise if i've been a little hazy in my attempt to answer your question.

wjkkwjkp!

148912[/snapback]

Paaji,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You have explained it fine and it makes sense.

Anonymous Singh wrote:

"If Killing of a Brahman is discouraged - was it wrong of Beant Singh, Satwant Singh to kill Indira Gandhi?

The Pangtee seems to be misunderstood and mistranslated. I will look into this deeper tomorrow."

wjkkwjkp!

The Pangati is:

wjkkwjkp!

148912[/snapback]

Last time I looked cows in India (the proper desi gaa) were white , yes water buffalo are black but that is a maj and not a gaa. The so called valethi gaa are usually black and white. There are breeds of cows which are black but they are not native to Punjab. I have not seen any Welsh Black, Jamaican Black or Angus cows in India.

wjkkwjkp!

Like i said sorry for the confusion...but I think I have answered best to my ability... If u have problems understanding the Pangati then I suggest u should visit a more learned Gursikh, who can explain better than I can.

With regards to the Brahmin - Brahmgiani issue. Yes a Brahmin is a Hindu caste and a Brahmgiani is a knower of God, however, Maharaj here is talking in a metaphorical sense and uses the term Brahmin when reffering to a Brahmgiani. Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure when Guroo Saahib was reciting this Dhur Kee Baanee for the first time it was in response to some Hindu's who approached them.

We must also remember that Baanee is not specifically for Sikhs, but is Universal and so Guroo Saahib can be talking about a Brahmin for Hindus and the 'equivilant' for a Gursikh which some would say is a Brahmgiani...

G.Kaur or Anonymous Singh :) not quite sure who's posting there...but with regards to your comment... Beant Singh and Satwant Singh killed Gandhi for a specific reason, simply because she did beadbi of Maharaj and slandered Mahapurakhs. There is a legitimate reason for killing such a person, regardless of religion/caste. However, it is wrong to kill anyone, for no specific or justifiable reason.

Again apologies if i have not been clear...

wjkkwjkp!