Monty Panesar...first Sikh In England Cricket Team

jasdeep22

Monty Panesar has been called up to play for England during England's tour of India. He becomes the first Sikh to be called up for England duty.

http://usa.cricinfo.com/indveng/content/story/234692.html

149063[/snapback]

I think this Singh deserves our full on support!!!

Think how embarrassing it would be if sikhs born in this country supported the indian cricket team.

England have called up Northants spinner Monty Panesar as the 16th man in their India tour squad with Ian Blackwell on standby for Ashley Giles.

Panesar gained the nod over Blackwell and Alex Loudon after taking 46 Championship wickets at 21.54 in 2005.

And he then spent two months working on batting and fielding in Australia.

"He took the initiative in approaching the selectors before Christmas to discuss how he could improve his game," said chief selector David Graveney.

"We are delighted with the progress he has made following his recent trip to Adelaide."

I've still got a lot of work ahead of me and my focus is to keep working at my game

Monty Panesar

Read more 

If selected in the Test XI, Panesar would become the first Sikh to play for England.

Gurfateh!!

Thats great news :) :TH:

Heres the article from www.bbc.co.uk

Panesar handed England tour spot

Panesar could become the first Sikh to play for England

England have called up Northants spinner Monty Panesar as the 16th man in their India tour squad with Ian Blackwell on standby for Ashley Giles.

Panesar gained the nod over Blackwell and Alex Loudon after taking 46 Championship wickets at 21.54 in 2005.

And he then spent two months working on batting and fielding in Australia.

"He took the initiative in approaching the selectors before Christmas to discuss how he could improve his game," said chief selector David Graveney.

"We are delighted with the progress he has made following his recent trip to Adelaide."

I've still got a lot of work ahead of me and my focus is to keep working at my game

Monty Panesar

Read more

If selected in the Test XI, Panesar would become the first Sikh to play for England.

Both Blackwell and Loudon have been named in the England A squad to tour the West Indies.

Giles had an operation on his troublesome hip in December but has not recovered as quickly as had been hoped.

The selectors will consult medical staff on his recovery closer to the team's 12 February departure.

If they give him a starting spot, I'm sure he'll play his socks off and perform to an outstanding level

From MM

Have your say on TMS

Giles could miss the opening Test, in Nagpur on 1 March, but be brought in for one of the next two, in Mohali and Mumbai (Bombay).

"The expert advice we have received is that Ashley will need to rest if he is to achieve maximum benefit from surgery," said ECB chief medical officer Dr Peter Gregory.

"The medical team's current view is that it is unlikely that he will be fit for the start of the tour of India.

"But he will continue with his rehabilitation programme as pain allows and the medical team will continue to monitor his progress closely."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test squad: Michael Vaughan (Capt), Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Andrew Flintoff, Ashley Giles, Stephen Harmison, Matthew Hoggard, Geraint Jones, Simon Jones, Monty Panesar, Kevin Pietersen, Liam Plunkett, Matthew Prior, Andrew Strauss, Marcus Trescothick, Shaun Udal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4652346.stm

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

Gurfateh!!