Bajar Kurheit And Kurheit

das_1

what is the difference between Bajar Kurheit and Kurheit? i always understood the 4 things i.e. adulttery, eating meat/fish/eggs, cutting hair and tobbaco/alcohol consumption as bajar kurheit, so what is just kurheit as i haev heard many katha vachaks refer to it. or are they referring to same thing?

From my blog:

ਰਹਿਤ / ਕੁਰਹਿਤ

Rehat / Kureiht

1) ਨਾਮ ਜਪਨਾ - Meditate on God

2) ਕਿਰਤ ਕਰਨੀ - Do your work with honesty

3) ਵੰਡ ਕੇ ਛਕਣਾ - Share your earnings

Rehat is such a big topic that its hard to know where to begin with keeping proper rehat. The above are basic essential duties for a Sikh, laid down by Guru Nanak. Guruji also says:

ਸੇਵਾ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ॥

Selfless service and intuitive awareness come by reflecting upon the Word of the Shabad.

ਜਪੁ ਤਪੁ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰਿ ॥

Chanting, intensive meditation and austere self-discipline come by subduing the ego.

ਜੀਵਨ ਮੁਕਤੁ ਜਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਣਾਏ ॥

One becomes Jivan-mukta - liberated while yet alive, by listening to the Shabad.

ਸਚੀ ਰਹਤ ਸਚਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਏ ॥੭॥

Living a truthful way of life, one finds true peace. ||7||

There's so much information on rehat/kureiht online, and what they are and what the discipline, of the Khalsa should be, most of them you can't really argue with because everyone has their own rehat.

Just wanted to share my two cents on what ਕੁਰਹਿਤ means to me, there is ਕੁਰਹਿਤ and there is ਬੱਜਰ ਕੁਰਹਿਤ (grave sin). If a Sikh violates the code of conduct other than the four cardinal transgressions, he becomes Tankhaya and has to appear before the Panj Pyaras for undergoing Tankhah, which generally means taxes or amount due, and the punj pyare give that person hukam, I guess you can call it punishment for doing x amount of seva, etc.

What Rehat means to me; rehat means to live in discipline, Ku-rehat means to live without. There are many signs of knowing when you're living without it, for example, missing amritvela, or getting lazy from your daily routine, when getting up, not doing ishnaan (shower), let alone kesi ishnaan (from head to toe), leaving kakaars off while sleeping or showering, doing sloppy nitnem (zipping through it), listening to tapes/audio rather than sitting down legs folded and ਇਕ ਮਨ ਇਕ ਚਿਤ. Cutting down on simran time. Being too lazy to do Rehraas Sahib, Being too lazy to goto the gurdwara sahib or sangat. There are MANY other signs of living a kureihti jeevan.

Vahegurooo, now everyone has their own rehat but the basic rehat we must follow, like trying to avoid the above and incorporating them one by one in our own jeevan, and practicing it for a long time so that it becomes a habit, rather than a chore.

Those are just somethings that I think are a barrier in living a disciplinary life, I know some of them apply to me and a few others may relate to it, gonna try to post a few more in the future. Makes you truly realize how high one's jeevan is and where we want to get to by pointing them out.

Someone has had to kill an animal in order for 'you' to eat it... I'd say it was just as bad if not worse than adultery. That animals life has gone so someone can satisfy their taste buds...

Admin Note: Next time you will be given a warning for starting the meat debate again.