Jakara Registration Now Open

Jakara Movement __________________________________________________________________

You have been thinking about coming for years; you have heard about it for years; you came years ago; you came last year; you have never even heard about it!. This is the year that you do not want to miss. Returning for the seventh consecutive year -- Jakara 2006. Join us from June 22-25th, 2006 in Fresno, CA. Register now before June 11th to avoid the late fee. Tell your friends and make your reservations now!

Over five hundred years ago, Guru Nanak proclaimed, without woman, there is nothing. However all too often, women are treated as if they are nothing. From female foeticide, to double standards, to abuse within our relationships and homes, it is time for the 'next generation of Sikhs' to make a change. It is time for the men to heal our women, to be real to our women; it is time for the women to love themselves, to empower themselves just as our Gurus desired. At the 7th Jakara, we will begin that dialogue. Register now at www.Jakara.org.

In addition, we are seeking outgoing individuals that want to make a difference in the community. This year we are seeking applicants to be a facilitator for this year's conference. We need men and women; we need those with experience and those without; we need those with passion and commitment. If this describes you, please take a few minutes and apply at http://www.gdezine.com/jakara. Benefits include a leadership experience an opportunity to serve, as well as any help that Jakara can provide (Letters of Recommendation, etc.)

___________________________________________________________________________ www.JAKARA.org

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over five hundred years ago, Guru Nanak proclaimed, without woman, there is nothing. However all too often, women are treated as if they are nothing. From female foeticide, to double standards, to abuse within our relationships and homes, it is time for the 'next generation of Sikhs' to make a change. It is time for the men to heal our women, to be real to our women; it is time for the women to love themselves, to empower themselves just as our Gurus desired

It's a good thing to empower women go for it... but even better to empower both sexes, to help each other in faith and relationships. However....

Can you kindly remove the negative references implicating ALL Sikh males in anti-sikh practices (female infanticide, gender inequality,etc).

I think the educated will find this is a punjabi cultural issue not a religious one. So why the bad mouthing of sikh males in you adverts and your press releases?

And how would you like the men to empower the women when in western society it is increasingly women who have the most rights and power balance in relationships in terms of childs, households,etc. Post 9/11 and 7/7 in the UK it was Sikh turbanned males who took the brunt of racist chants, looks and attacks after being mistaken for muslims. Are you healing your menfolk?

When mona guys like "killah", on the forum, who cut and shave their kesh in order to fit into the profile of what majority of sikh girls want... are you there to heal the menfolk telling them not to cut their kesh? or even dicussing with the girls/women who attend your camps the imporantance of kesh?

I would kindly appreciate a few answers to the questions I have put before you and the organisation/movement you represent.

hes back the topic starter is Gurjit Pamma who started the mini skirt thing last time i no this as he posted on waheguroo forums using that account has changed names on this account proberbly because he is scared of what happened last time

does the sangat remember the last trailer when girls were saying they wanna wear mini skirts and that the organisation allows and does bhangra on the camp, this is not a sikhi camp but a panjabi camp - this has been discussed before so not to waste the sangats time i will put the link to the thread soon.

WJKK WJKF

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showto...17548&hl=jakara

please all refresh your memories or read anyway if you havnt read this before.

Prince. Have you ever been to the movement/camp whatever it is?

oi simba you obviously want to defend the jakara people so to make thing simple i will put two links below which are connected to waheguroo forums - read that and everything will be clear

http://forums.waheguroo.com/index.php?showtopic=14592

http://forums.waheguroo.com/index.php?showtopic=13710

i have already given the link above to sikhsangats discussion on this issue

WJKK WJKF

You still failed to answer my question. Have you been to the camp or not?

Simple question.

now here i was under the impression that you could use the internet but clearly i was wrong - next time i will not use a link sorry ne wayz - hear iz ur simple answer

no i havnt as i live in the UK but i have friends that have been (2 to be exact) that have told me over msn messenger how they found it.

well i dont want to turn this into a debate as someone already tried to this and you can check the outcome on the links in replies above (if your confused go to www.forums.waheguroo.com - if you cant find it PM me and i will show you with clear and very basic instructions) - over to you simba

I've read the thread you have pointed towards. All of them completly and utterly fail to cover anything productive they're doing. Of course. It never was a 'discuss the movement' thing, but a 'slander the movement to the max thread' wasn't it? No-one mentioend their contributions towards fighting against female foetice. They're struggle for equality?

Who cares about that rite?

Instead of sitting behind a screen and slandering them, go there, attend it, and make it more Gurmat oriented if you don't like it as it is. It's not going to help to create a rival organisation and ditch them. I'm sure they'd love to have you're contributions, and how you can develop the movement.

Do sometihng productive instead of sitting behind the screen and slandering.

so you think you know better than all the sikhs that have posted to the old jakara thread - to make it clear ther ewere people who attended the camp that replied to that thread with negative thoughts i would like to point out again(why am i always repeating myself with you) that i have said in waheguroo forums to you 1 good action can not undo all the bad action that happen at the camp- and about the camp going there maybe in the near future - im in the UK now and when i do go america i will go there.

as the sangat has prity much figured out your going no where with this so i suggest you stop posting on this issue -

last thing - answer this do you consider Jakara as a panthic orgaisation which is flawless and doing all it can to follow maryada if it isnt what is bad about it - u can add the good point but i think the 1 and only 1 has been said- (O Yer ! - you can answer this question) -

Speaking from experience.. the most slandered camps tend to be the best one.

I've never been to jakara (actually I'm the atlantic apart from the continent it's running in!)

Now let me add a twist to the debate. Do you know better than all those Sikhs who slander AKJ, TAKSAL or which ever jathebandi you associate yourself with? Tehanu jada pata ohna nalo? They prolly had some good reasons for slandering them.

If one good point isn't going to "good-i-fy" them, atleast ACKNOWLEDGE that there's some good aspects about it. ACKNOWLEDGE. Alais Prince, I sincerely hope that you're not just talking, and that you seriously WILL get up from behind the screen and WILL ATTEND the movement, and WILL contribute to the movement and make it becomre more gurmat oriented, rather than just sitting there and pointing fingers. They've probabaly made a huge effort to make it possible. INstead of highlighting all the bad things, acknowledge the good ones. Look at they're schedule. Everyone failed to notice all the Gurmat oriented workshops, discussions etc etc... but pointed their fingers straight at the mid night picnic (although I do admit it soundes dodgy... I've got no right to point fingers without knowiing what it's about)

I never said i considered ti to be flawless, just like BOSS camp or any other Uk camp for that matter isn't flawless. All of these organisations are run by youth who want to make a change. Only the Guru and Akal is flawless. Everyone else (includeing you adn me) are full of flaws. Jakara, BOSS, Khalsa camp, Sikhstudent valey, all have flaws. I don't know much about Jakara except what the agenda says on their website, and from the looks it seems like a safe organisation, despite the flaws they might have. Whether they're panthic, depends on how you define panthic. I wouldn't define many of the Jathebandis/schools/sampardas etc etc considered by many as panthic, as panthic. Depends on your definition of the word.

Go and contribute to it instead of wasting your and everyone else's time slandering it. Kisida ni faida ethe ehmi baith ke chugliya karan da.

Attend!