Who Is True Sant?

Surajsingh

I found this on Sikh Philosphy forum

----------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Mahan Kosh (P. 243) the term 'Sant' is derived from the Sanskrit word 'Saant' or 'Shaant', meaning spiritually poised i.e. keeping mental as well as physical feelings under control.

What does Gurbani say about true Sant?

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-s...saint-sant.html

English translation below:

(Singh Sahib Sant Singh Khalsa, MD)

Asaa Mehl Fifth

Twenty-four hours a day, he knows the Lord to be near at hand;

he surrenders to the Sweet Will of God.

The One Name is the Support of the Saints;

they remain the dust of the feet of all. ||1||

Listen, to the way of life of the Saints, O my Siblings of Destiny;

their praises cannot be described. ||1||Pause||

Their occupation is the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

The Kirtan, the Praise of the Lord, the embodiment of bliss, is their rest.

Friends and enemies are one and the same to them.

They know of no other than God. ||2||

They erase millions upon millions of sins.

They dispel suffering; they are givers of the life of the soul.

They are so brave; they are men of their word.

The Saints have enticed Maya herself. ||3||

Their company is cherished even by the gods and the angels.

Blessed is their Darshan, and fruitful is their service.

With his palms pressed together, Nanak offers his prayer:

O Lord, Treasure of Excellence, please bless me with the service of the Saints. ||4||37||88||

commonly the following TUK is given as the definition of sant avastha.

slok mÚ 5 ] ||

salok ma 5 ||

Salok, Fifth Mehla:

ijnw swis igrwis n ivsrY hir nwmW min mMqu ] ||

jinaa saas giraas n visarai har naamaa(n) man ma(n)th ||

Those who do not forget the Lord, with each breath and morsel of food, whose minds are filled with the Mantra of the Lord's Name

DMnu is syeI nwnkw pUrnu soeI sMqu ]1] ||

dhha(n)n s saeee naanakaa pooran soee sa(n)th ||1||

- they alone are blessed; O Nanak, they are the perfect Saints. ||1||

A Sant in terms of our soundings is a person who does katah of God and teachs the sangat to do Jap Naam and Joards the sangat with Guru Granth Saihb and Punj piarai.

That individual can take you take you to unhadh shabad as Guru granth Shiab states

Un hund Kunji Santan hath Racki

The so called Sant’s today are not what the description of a Sant is, they tell stories tell people to take amrit and thats about it but a true Sant jordhs you to Naam and shows you the way to become a Sant as He/she has done.

In Sat gurus bani the fraise "Koi aan miilavai mera pretaam piara", "Asa Kio dass hoi shaib millin bagwaan" has come up again and again, those people are called Gurmukhs, Baghats, Sadhs, Sants and write a the top are Brahm Gianis, these people are very rare to find, read Sukh mani shaib, wow.

And how to judge a Sant is to question what spiritual state he/she is at and ask can you take me there through Naam and answer most of the time will be, Beta we don’t ask questions like that, Sat-Guru will do kirpa. grin.gif

This kind of Sant is called Anadi Sant (fake Sant) in Gur-Bani, "Anadi sant kadhi na bujia" best thing to do is turn around and continue on your journey to find the true Sant.

Guest militant singh

The Only Tru Saint Soldier of our times was and is Sant Jarnail Singh Khalsa Bhindrawale the greatest Sikh of the 20th century He aint like dem fake sants dese days he actullay spoke the truth lived the truth sat with sangat didnt dwell in maya and ultimately gave the biggest sacrifice his life and became shaheed WJKKWJKF

The Only Tru Saint Soldier of our times was and is Sant Jarnail Singh Khalsa Bhindrawale the greatest Sikh of the 20th century He aint like dem fake sants dese days he actullay spoke the truth lived the truth sat with sangat didnt dwell in maya and ultimately gave the biggest sacrifice his life and became shaheed WJKKWJKF

Bhai shaib your right in a way Bhai Jarnail singh Khalsa was a true Sant who attached sangat with Guru Shaib, but he isnt the only one if so were all in real trouble, I go back to what I said before, in Gubani Sat-Guru farmandai that any indivgual that wants to meet Guru shaib in Dargaa (Gods Palace) you need to find and learn they way to guru shaib through Naam (Naam dirdhiia Sadh Kirpaal) throgh Saadh meaning a indivgual joint with Sat-Guru, Bhai shaib I know you know that Guru Grant Shaib Jee kunji after ever Shabad is to Jap Naam but the state of our punth is one of a dissapointment, were we where to all to Jordh with Sat-guru we have been joint to the dayie form e.g. fake sants braham ginanis and now even fake Gurus.

We need to learn what the message of our Sat-Guru is, there a shabad which tells us the Partak Hukam of a Sikh, "Iko Naam Hukham Hai Nanak Sat-guru Dia Bujia Jeo", and Dhun Guru Teg Bahadur shaib furmandia "Raam Simar Raam Simar Eeo Thro Chaaj!" meaning do simran this is your ONLY job, is there any doubt what our Sat-Guru is saying, I'll leave that to you. WJKKWJKF

I was going though bhagat Naam Jee bani yestearsday and he's was taking about when he was told to not jap Raam but to jap Ahlla by the mogals, what he's says to them is I wont be forsed to jap Allah its a matter of princilble.

So he wad senteced to be killed by a elepahnt that was traind to stampied over people during executions, this is much like the romen colicium when the christains were attacked and killed by lions for entertainment.

When he was put in to the arean where he was to made a show of, he starts prying to God saying what am I to do even as Sant I have no saviour than you.

Sangat jeo maharaj in bani says that a Sant if he/she wants can move two lands like amrica and europe and cruch and make them dust if he wants.

And here you have a true Sant saying to God even with all this powers what am I to do with-out you.

Sangat jee Sants in our illustrous history were peole like Bahgat Naam dev ji, Baghat Kabir jee, Baghat Trlochan jee, Bhai Taru Singh jee (how had his scalp hamerd off), Bhai Nand Lal je, Bahi Gurdas Jee (whos vara are consider the kunji of of sikhi)

This is no Mickky mouse tiltle which can be obtanied by wearing a white distar and haveing 10-15 calia always with you. this is a titel that the Bagahts and highest of high Guru dai laards held.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

Sants in sikh history, during Guru Sahib Jee's period no one had this title, the only title used by sikhs was "Bhai"..examples such as highly respected Gursikhs who were living with Guru Sahiban at the time , Bhai Manj,Bhai Gurdas, Bhai Nand Lal, this was the trend, if the tilte sant was so important Guru Sahiban would've passed it on.

Secondly there have been Gursikhs who had excellent chardi kala jeevans where sikh sangata have named them sant out of high respect.However as we all know in the present day sikhism this word has been used to gain wealth and maya only by quite a few so called sants. I don't want to mention names as we don't want to go around the same cicles but it's quite evident who the dodgy sants are in present day.

So how does one recognise a true sant, I spoke to highly respected Gursikh once who told me , a sikh at sant level would not go around protraying or advertising he/she's a sant. A true sant would be the most humble sevadaar who could go witout food for days, naam only being his food as per quotes in Gurbani, a person who could with stand any test any weather condition, you could put him in prison cell for months yet you woulld not see any difference in his complexion.You could put in icy cold condition without clothing and he would not waver. A true sant would have naam vibrating through roam roam and would never advertise and beg for money or ask people to touch and bow down to him or accept birthday gifts. There are such individuals but as per Gurbani they are "verlee " . This is the reason people who slandar sants should not...people who think sants are everything should compare thoughts from SGGS and before declaring in their mind they have met a true sant.

Problem with us panjabi people is that we are the best at crowd following than any other kaum in India. Looking at India's history people past and present, the rss /arya smaaj, types who were not successful in their own states were assigned to panjab by the hindu goverment where they knew panjabi's would follow them like sheep which bring havoc to the state and sure thing this policy is working over and over again even today.The title sant is used by such people today.

Finally we always forget the other parameter with sant which is siphai...do we have a record or a number of the sants in today's age who helped around in 1984 people like sant Jarnail Singh, if there is a number I bet it doesn't exceed the number of fingers on one hand let alone 2.If so please correct me.

Your right about the state of our fellow bothers and sisters in india, Rss, badal and others have a tight grip on politcal and sprtual inviroment of the Sikh sangat.

And secoundly your absoultly right about a Sant not advertising his status as it would cause a big problem for the indivigual. Take the example of Baghat Kabir during his living life he never told any body what sprtual state he was at. It was only after Guru Arjan dev ji doing parck of this Sadhos did we finnaly find out the true Baghats of the past.

I would just like to add that the status of Sant is higher then Baghat, but reaching Baghat is no easy feat either.

Your right about the state of our fellow bothers and sisters in india, Rss, badal and others have a tight grip on politcal and sprtual inviroment of the Sikh sangat.

And secoundly your absoultly right about a Sant not advertising his status as it would cause a big problem for the indivigual. Take the example of Baghat Kabir during his living life he never told any body what sprtual state he was at. It was only after Guru Arjan dev ji doing parck of this Sadhos did we finnaly find out the true Baghats of the past.

I would just like to add that the status of Sant is higher then Baghat, but reaching Baghat is no easy feat either.

And no comment on how many Sants and Baghats there may be. :nihungsmile:

Wheres the proof they gave shaheedi?