Hemkunt Sahib

Niranjana

Hemkunt Sahib Gurdwara, for those who have had darshan, is indeed a magnificent place surrounded with a fascinating story and I would be intrigued to hear the forum's views and ideas on some points relating to this site.

In short, we know that this Gurdwara was built in the 20th Century following the endeavours of a retired Sikh Army General inspired by the autobiographical writings of Guru Gobind Singh in the Bachiter Natak, Sri Dasam Granth Sahib. As the account relays, Rihsi Dhust Daman, having contemplated MahaKaal-Kalika attained Akaal Darshan and received the Hukam from Akaal Purakh to invoke the Khalsa Panth (for full reference please see original text). I would be grateful for the Cyber Sangat's view on the following points:-

1) Who is/are MahaKaal-Kalika?

2) Is the scene of Hemkunt described in the Natak, a reference to a physical place here on Earth (as testified by the Gurdwara location et al) or a symbolic reference to the Birth of the Guru (as purported by Dalip Singh of the Sikh Research Institute in his analysis) or indeed is it a reference to another place, or plane even, altogether?

3) Who was Rishi Dhust Dhaman? There are no references to him in any traditional Indian Scriptures (the only other reference I am aware of is in the Sarabloh Granth). What is his relation to Guru Gobind Singh explicitly (previous life or symbolic reference to birth and 9 months of life in the womb suspended upside down like an ascetic yogi?).

4) Following on from (4) above, what is the relation, if any, between Rishi Dhust Dhaman and the Devi and also between Guru Gobind Singh and his life and indeed that of his celibate consort, Mata Sa

hib Deva.

I'll leave it there for now, as these are likely to be quite extensive topics to cover, however, finally I am aware of a Meditative Exercise that Yogi Bhajan prescribes which was supposedly one used by Rishi Dhust Daman as if there are any members of the Sikh Dharma, 3HO or Kundalini Yoga (the Yogi Bhajan variety) practitioners present, please could you shed some light on this exercise and also the lineage of Yogis after Rishi Dhust Daman from where this practice has been maintained and passed to Yogi Bhajan and/or his Ustad Baba Virsa Das Udasi (aka Baba Virsa Singh).

Please forgive any foolish comments in the foregoing, I look forward to hearing from you all soon...

GUR BAR AKAAAL!

very intriguing...

just an honest/innocent question:

are there any answers to these questions which are absolutely true?? Won't everyone have their own view of things?? :T:

Also, I think once these questions are answered/looked into, we should see 1) how they are relevant 2) what we get out of them and 3) how to implement it into our Gursikhi in a productive way...

very intriguing...

just an honest/innocent question:

are there any answers to these questions which are absolutely true?? Won't everyone have their own view of things??  :T:

Also, I think once these questions are answered/looked into, we should see 1) how they are relevant 2) what we get out of them and 3) how to implement it into our Gursikhi in a productive way...

Gur Fateh!

Dear Summeet Kaur, thanks for your reply and honest comments, which I duly note. If I may, please also consider the my comments in response to your questions.

<<are there any answers to these questions which are absolutely true??>>

Well, there’s only one way to find out... :@ !!!

I acknowledge that these questions and the subject matter is not necessarily black and white and hence may present a challenge in getting down to the truth, however this in my experience, is a common trait within the Dasam Granth (and I’m informed, it gets harder still in the Sarabloh Granth)...however insofar as your

question is concerned, from my limited understanding, as Sikhs we always seek to find, practice and live the truth, no matter no long it takes or how hard it is to do so...

<<Won't everyone have their own view of things??>>

I quite agree, everyone does have their own view of things –but is this not a common trait in life? Indeed as Guru Gobind Singh himself says and we read twice daily in the Benti Chaupai, Charitropakhyan, Dasam Granth:-

Aap Aapni Budh Hai Jaytee

Barnat Binbin Soee Taytee

Does the Truth have to be black and white and limited or is it possible for the Truth being the highest of all, to be a myriad of magnitudes and unlimited? -Just a thought... Maybe I have misunderstood your line of questioning, in which case I request that you be clarify and correct me where necessary and forgive my lack of understanding.

<<Also, I think once these questions are answered/looked into, we should see 1) how they are relevant 2) what we get out of them and 3) how to implement it into our Gursikhi in a productive way... >>

To follow on from my comments above,

(1) this is a discussion forum, this section is entitled Sikhi/Sikh History, and indeed this matter and the questions raised are linked to both as it relates to verses from Dasam Bani (Sikhi, unless anyone wishes to indicate otherwise) and to recent Sikh History and Culture (Hemkunt Sahib Gurdwara, yearly yatras, its supposedly discovery etc etc), from which I would imagine the relevance to this forum is obvious, if not, please could you or someone correct my incorrect understanding.

(2) this portion of the Dasam Granth is often quoted and recently much unsettling commentary and action has occurred within the Panth let alone outside it. Whilst appreciating the ban from the Akal Thakt on certain matters and individuals, it does not negate the need for us to study, contemplate and practice the teachings of our Gurus, of which this forms a part. Rather than indulge in the

reckless paranoia that we see exhibited all through the Diaspora, even I may say on this forum by certain people, maybe its worth our while to put into practice the “vivek dhan†that we request in our daily Ardas.

Having done so and subsequently improved our own understanding of our own spiritual, historical and cultural heritage, we can stand tall and handle any challenges thrown at us. The threats of certain groups towards the Panth have created huge hysteria within the Panth (as we can see on this forum alone, with the numerous threads concerning RSS, Sikh Girls duped/converted/raped by Muslim boys etc etc...sadly most of these posts simply air our frustrations, concerns and annoyance at these elements, occasionally with a rallying call at the end for moving ahead...let’s move ahead!!! Let us engage in Vivek thoroughly and unify in the diversity of our superb heritage...a common observance from most writers is that these issues occur owing to one’s own lack of understanding of their own faith and practice...)

I trust this goes to show, albeit political in some sense, what we could get out of addressing these questions...needless to say, I didn’t actually post them here solely for this purpose...these questions relate to themes that run throughout the Dasam Granth, which I personally find fascinating and was interested to gain some further understanding of from the forum given that I have been told so frequently about the very knowledgeable Chardi Kala Singhs and Singhnea on the SikhSangat forum and am hoping that they may help this moorakh with some further vivek on this matter...

(3) Implementing things in our Gursikhi is, by its very nature, a personal matter and each of us will do this accordingly as per the quote from the Charitropakhyan given above.

I look forward to hearing from yourself soon and from the forum Sangat too on the foregoing and ask humbly for my gross lack of understanding and gross excess of manmat to be forgiven...

Sat

Sri AKAAAALLLL!!!

Been there..was nice but was having Slight breathing probs rolleyes.gif

about Rochak bhajis pics

DO we believe in Guru ji being an INCARNATION :@ ..

also...Did Guru ji have a PAST LIFE :@ ?

I think it was accordint to professor Darshan Singh ji that..

i think all of this about Hemkunt didn't fit in with GUrbani...........

Now I'm tihnking of the shabad

"Hemkunt parbat hai jaha.."

can someone pelase enlighten me :@

I've got a question plz dont be angry with me cause i'm ignorant (acctually feeling afraid asking it, as I dont want people, point at me :@ )

BUT WHY WOULD GURU GOVIND SINGH JI HAVE PREVIOUS LIFE :@ ?

- was he stuck in Reincarnation (I don't believe)?

- I have no knowledge of Dasam Granth..but someitmes people say its not reliable :@ can some PLEASE ENGLIHTEN ME..as I know hardly anything about Dasam Guru di Bani (except Jaap SAhib, Chaupie and Swaye sahib)

- other...can someone PLEASE ENGLIGHTEN ME

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I've got a question plz dont be angry with me cause i'm ignorant (acctually feeling afraid asking it, as I dont want people, point at me :@ )

BUT WHY WOULD GURU GOVIND SINGH JI HAVE PREVIOUS LIFE :@ ?

- was he stuck in Reincarnation (I don't believe)?

- I have no knowledge of Dasam Granth..but someitmes people say its not reliable :@ can some PLEASE ENGLIHTEN ME..as I know hardly anything about Dasam Guru di Bani (except Jaap SAhib, Chaupie and Swaye sahib)

- other...can someone PLEASE ENGLIGHTEN ME

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Mr Singh,

Thanks for your honest comments, further to my earlier post on the relevance of this topic, your questions are not unique to you alone, almost everyone I asked when I was younger about the same topic refused to answer directly owing to similar issues they had about the composition and indeed a

bout the Dasam Granth....

I'll put up something soon to offer some guidance as to your points...

GUR FATEH!