Converting To Sikhi

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh,

COuld somebody help me please about converting to SIkhism, i have been interested in the religion for quite some time now. I am a young man who loves Sikism. I had been to the gurdwara alot and i felt my troubles and anxieties melt away. I told my parents that i wanted to become a sikh and they woul;dnt allow it (im a white chrisitan by the way.) I was furious. Please may someone help,

Many thanks,

Khalsa123

Vahegurujeekakhalsavahegurujeekifateh

jau qau pRym Kylx kw cwau ]

If you desire to play this game of love with Me,

ja-o ta-o paraym khaylan kaa chaa-o.

isru Dir qlI glI myrI Awau ]

then step onto My Path with your head in hand.

sir Dhar talee galee mayree aa-o.

iequ mwrig pYru DrIjY ]

When you place your feet on this Path,

it maarag pair Dhareejai.

isru dIjY kwix n kIjY ]20]

give Me your head, and do not pay any attention to public opinion. ||20||

sir deejai kaan na keejai. ||20||

follow your heart bro.

if you would like any further info on Sikhi or if you need any thing to help you with your naam, simran, bhagti etc we would be happy to assist you :TH:

good luck with your speritual journey...

bhul chuk maaf guru maharaj sab kirpaaa karrr

Vahegurujeekakhalsavahegurujeekifateh

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to wear a kara with my watch so it blended in, i h8ed this, i wanted to show my identity and feel prous, but my parents noticed it and i had to remove it immediately, i would love to grow my hair and wear the 5 k's but i again feel trapped.

Khalsa123

Im sorry to hear of your situation. anything which aids you in your speritual journey is good, anything that puts barriors in your way is sin. you do not have to wear 5 K's untill you are baptised (amritdhari). Before having an outward show of faith, you need to have sikhi inside first. If you can not express youself and your faith in your own home enviornment there is a problem... now how deal with this problem is up to you. first you have to address what is more important to you. your parents, or your faith. to a sikh, our history of marytrdom will tell you sikhs put theirr Guru first above all. if your not ready to do this yet... thats totally fine. perhaps another user on this board, preetam singh can help you.... to my limited understand he was in a situation similar to yours.

Sorry i could not be much help.

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki fateh

Veerjee, coming from a family where sikhi rehit or living a gursikh lifestyle is not preached i know how you feel. Whether you being christian and i being a sikh (who grew up going to the gurdwara, etc) we're fighting the same battle.

Some people would say "who cares, just do it"; But then theres a whole other side to just doing it. Your parents are your parents no matter what and its our duty to respect them. So i would say since your starting out try your best to educate them.

When they ask you to take off your kara or any other kakaars tell them who Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji was and who were the Panj Piyarey. Its your job to do your homework also which is reading gurbani and contemplating and also researching the history of our ten masters.

Love is something highly recognized in the Sikh religion. Always talk to your parents with love and compassion. Dont yell, dont show them your frustrated or feel trapped. If they ask why you do something explain why you do it in the first place.

This paath is not an easy one my friend but its a possible one.

Have faith in the almighty, stay strong.

We're all here for you.

Bull chaak maaph.

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki fateh

YOur advice had been taken on board, thank you, i am so uspet and angry that my parents won't let me be what i want. I love my parents unconditionably but i love the guru too. They both mean the highest to me, after all aren't our parents our teachers?

After i had an argument with them about converting or adapting to the sikh life i told some of my friends. They said that it was Vaaheguroo telling me not to be a sikh just yet. The hukamanam today told me to become a sikh and follow the path. This is what confused me, i have interpreted from both of these messages that vaaheguroo wants me to become sikh but just not yet. I know the hukamnama means different things to evreyone but i'm questioning whether if i do become a sikh will my parents and family accept me? I know only i can answer the question but i'd like your opinions please.

Khalsa123

Everyone is so friendly, your all so great! Thank you for giving your time to answer my queries.

WJKK WJKF

first thing first, sikhi is not yours, not mine, not anyone's

if u were u to accept sikhi it was due to kirpa from guru sahib

do ardaas n ask guru sahib to be with u...since HE has done so much kirpa....

& HE will be there with u

dun bother wat others say bout.....u should only care wat guru sahib thinks.....we want guru sahib to be happy with us

its juz like being a top student in class

be the top student in sikhi

jap naam & do as much sewa as possible