Converting To Sikhi

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh,

COuld somebody help me please about converting to SIkhism, i have been interested in the religion for quite some time now. I am a young man who loves Sikism. I had been to the gurdwara alot and i felt my troubles and anxieties melt away. I told my parents that i wanted to become a sikh and they woul;dnt allow it (im a white chrisitan by the way.) I was furious. Please may someone help,

Many thanks,

Khalsa123

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally dont think you have to anything specific to become a Sikh. just read bani etc. take amrit when you are ready to become a khalsa.

you are an inspiration to us all. there are alot of people who are born into sikh families, but just take it all for granted, thus not appreciating nor understand what a sikh is nd what a sikh should and should not do.

all i can say to this thread is Bole Sonihaal, Sat Sri Akaal

d_oh.gif

Many thnks Sikh solider for your comment. Ive read many Hukamnamas and i've interpreted the same message from most of them. It was telling me to worship the true guru, this is what i want to do, i would do anything to follow the path which i think is right for me. This is my personal opinion - christianity doesnt answer questions which Sikhism does. I have the problem of my parents not letting me. Can somebody give me some more advice please.

Khalsa123 :TH:

WJKK WJKF!

Hi again another post, another question - sorry!

If i was to convert to Sikhism how would i cope, i'd be the only white sikh in my area, my friends said you'd ignore it, but i think it would be hard. You know how it is, people take the mickey out of you for a variety of reasons if you wear glasses, if your slightly larger, this is wrong!

Please may someone help.

Many thanks,

Khalsa123 :TH:

gurfateh bhai sahib

sometimes we have to go against our parents wishes. i think it depends on how bad you want to come into Guru Sahibs family. this is all a big test for you. you've found the true Guru. just remember we are born alone, and will die alone! try to make them understand, and show them what sikhi offers you. to become a khalsa take amrit, but to start follow basic principles of sikhi. share earnings, mediate on Gods name, and live honestly. if you show your family this is the path you want to follow theres not much they can say to oppose it. how old are you if you dont mind me asking? and where do you come from? may be some of the other sikhs that have converted from christian backgrounds can offer the sangat to show your family what inspires them etc. show them website links such as mrsikhnet.com n other similar websites. i think its important to help them understand. dont forget this is another test mahraaj giving you, with many more to follow!

Glad to see you're trying to come into the Guru's sharan (sanctuary).

You just have to follow the basic rehat of waking up amritvela and doing punj bania, learn how to pronounce them more clearly and put together a schedule for yourself and follow it day in day out for a month, and keep your minimum rehat (discipline), you have to instill the qualities of the Khalsa within yourself, you have to be nirbhao (fearless) about how you feel. Parents are obviously against it because they don't know what its about, but you're learning and on the path, and I suggest keep doing your bania, keep your 5 kakaars with you, and just keep following it regardless of what they say, trust me its not going to be easy but Guru Sahib will guide you.

I'd like to thank both of you for your advice. I try my hardest to lead the sikhi life, like waking up at three to meditate and do the prayers but i recently this has become harder for me. I think my parents are slowly finding out what i do and i am worried of the consequexcnes, like im slowly becoming vegetarian, but im so scared of telling them why i made up an excuse, also i try to grow my hair and put off going to the hairdressers but suspicion is rising.

Khalsa123

just try educating them through Guru Sahibs Kirpa. do an ardas, mahraaj will carry you himself. jus put your faith into Guru Sahib. rather then avoiding confrentation talk and explain why kesh is important, and why you dont want to eat meat. this will require you to gain your own research into these principles and why they are done.