Kirpan

Guest shh

i attend a higher education institute where there are a few amritdhari Sikhs and obviously they wear kirpans, my kirpan however is worn so it is visible but they frown upon this. grin.gif i don't have a problem myself with my kirpan being visible and often i have been asked the significance of it and the other day some woman told me it was nice!! :D

but what is the sangats views? how do you carry your kirpan? if it is concealed, how is that done? i have tried to shorten my gatra but then it's uncomfortable, at university the blade i wear is 6 inches.

Guest po bibi

i wer my kirpan on top of my bana, its 12inches, then i just wear a cardigan or jacket on top, so u cnt see the kirpan, just the gatra. You can prob see the tip of kirpan but its not that visible. The taksali kirpans r quite hard to wear as they have a 90 degree bend at the tip. Try gettin a straighter kirpan.

Guest Po bibi

where can you get the straighter kirpans that are sarb loh? (uk)

any more suggestions?

Erm i got mine made in india, actually quite a few singhs went there, and brought loads back, im sure they wouldnt mind giving you one. What size do you need, i think they have only 12inch ones. Where about in the Uk are you from

Why man?

Leave it on the outside, let people know you are carrying a Kirpan, they need to learn to be comfortable with it, if they like it or not, they have to get used to it, because you will always be wearing a Kirpan. Also, it gets people to ask question if you leave it on the outside, its' better than them assuming you are a terrorist or some crap. rolleyes.gif

Also, if you don't want to FULLY leave it open, put the gatra underneath the clothing, and leave the Kirpan on the outside, the Kirpan should be near your waist. :TH:

my view is to put it under ur shirt

you just want attention, ppl to ask you about it, etc.

Keep it under ur shirt, and dont use it as a fashion icon.

control your little attention desires.

yes, it does teach others about ur kirpan, but its not necessary, this is a clue you are still at an early stage, keep it hidden from now on, people wont ask u unless its necessary, asking out of shock or for entertainment is useless.

kaur, your views are flawed

are you involved in life-threatning dangerous situations a lot? he goes to college/uni not a warzone

If it's hidden, only you know where it is, and you can take it out whenever, that has advantages of it's own. If it's on the outer, people are well informed prior to attacking you. They can maybe bring better/more weapons and/or first take the kirpan off you.

No need to talk about life or death situations most singhs and singhnees freak out in such sitatuons and dont even know what to do because they are not prepared previously. When they are told to prepare themselves they think sitting at home and talking on forums is good preperation or the good old excuse "I'm Guru Gobind Singh Ji's sikh, but i dont carry a weapon cause its too much" or something similar.

This is a fine example of the questions people ask these days... Rather than fulfilling other purposes you are asking where i shud put my kirpan, My honest suggestion is putting it at home because if you can't make a decision so simple you will certainly get confused at decisions that may require taking it out.