Disturbing Website, Why I Chose Islam?

~*SiNghNi*~

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This proves that the owner of the website is a mona and not practicing Sikh. Patits tend to deny the rehat and basic principles of Sikhi.

I'm fairly new to this site and find that it has a great deal of information on various topics which I find quite interesting and that I am learning a great deal from.

BUT the constant talk about a "mona" person not being a Sikh enough or degrading them its completely ridiculous and contrary to the teaching of Sikhism. Regardless of whether one “looks” like a typical Sikh or not they can still be teachers of our religion and their points are just as valid as a so called “True Sikh.

The Guru Granth Sahib teachers of equality and we are so proud of this fact but within our communities we are showing each other and teaching our children that some Sikhs are better then others. It’s no wonder some people convert or some people do not follow our religion to its fullest when people within it make them feel inferior.

And before someone says that I must be a mona because I say this I will say that I am but I am first a PROUD SIKH women.

^^Agree with you on certain points but i have a few questions to ask. Hopefully i'll get answers to them.

BUT the constant talk about a "mona" person not being a Sikh enough or degrading them its completely ridiculous and contrary to the teaching of Sikhism.

1. Is cutting hair completely ridiculous and contrary to the teachings of Sikhism. I would love to know your views and if you could answer in just YES or NO that would be even better.

2. People say they are religious and still cut their hair. What makes them cut their hair if they are religious(true to their Guru Ji)?

O and i'll tell you something that happened at the train station yesterday. I was waiting for the train and their was an annoucement regarding the train running late by 20 mins. After like 5 mins an old bibi came to me and asked what was being said. So i told her that the train was going to be late.

Before the bibi left she said these lines " Putt tu hi PAGG walla diss da si menu platfarm te, ta tere kolle aa gi. Hor kisse kolle challi jaandi, ki pata uh mehican(mexican) nikal janda." and yeah I am a PROUD SIKH man tongue.gif .

^^Agree with you on certain points but i have a few questions to ask. Hopefully i'll get answers to them.
BUT the constant talk about a "mona" person not being a Sikh enough or degrading them its completely ridiculous and contrary to the teaching of Sikhism.

1. Is cutting hair completely ridiculous and contrary to the teachings of Sikhism. I would love to know your views and if you could answer in just YES or NO that would be even better.

2. People say they are religious and still cut their hair. What makes them cut their hair if they are religious(true to their Guru Ji)?

O and i'll tell you something that happened at the train station yesterday. I was waiting for the train and their was an annoucement regarding the train running late by 20 mins. After like 5 mins an old bibi came to me and asked what was being said. So i told her that the train was going to be late.

Before the bibi left she said these lines " Putt tu hi PAGG walla diss da si menu platfarm te, ta tere kolle aa gi. Hor kisse kolle challi jaandi, ki pata uh mehican(mexican) nikal janda." and yeah I am a PROUD SIKH man tongue.gif .

1. I don’t believe that Sikhism states that cutting ones hair makes them less of a creation of God nor do I think that Sikhism teaches us to treat those that are different then us with a lack of respect. Simply put YES cutting your hair IS contrary to Sikhism but treating someone with no respect and belittling them is MUCH MORE contrary to Sikhism’s teaching. How can anyone call themselves a Gursikh when one of the fundamental teachings of our religion is equality for all? My argument was not about cutting hair but rather about treating people with respect.

2. I can’t speak for everyone who cuts their hair and says that they are religious, that would be fair too egotistical of me. I can say that for myself and many others I personal know our belief in our culture and our religion is solid and is based on the teaching of the SGGS. As a result of what I know I don’t believe I am strong enough be take Amrit at this time maybe one day, god willing, I will find the strength within to be a GurSikh but right now I would rather not give the outer appearances of being a GurSikh when within I am not strong enough to be what a true GurSikh is. I also don’t want to be one of those that takes Amrit and then does not live up to all that is asked of them, I think the bigger sin is taking Amrit and then living a life that is against it. Keeping ones hair and going to the Guardawara are easy task but truly living the within the principals of Sikhism is an accomplishment that only few are worthy of.

I think there are many Sikh people who are true GurSikhs and follow with the utmost respect of the teachings of our Gurus, but only a fool believes that just because someone wears a paag or has even taken Amrit that they are a GurSikh. It take more then appearance to become one with God.

As per your little story about the rail station, I worked in the public sector for a quite a while and people would come up to me and speak to me knowing that I was PUNJABI and could help them. It didn’t have anything to do with my hair.

Any more questions?

1. I don't believe that Sikhism states that cutting ones hair makes them less of a creation of God nor do I think that Sikhism teaches us to treat those that are different then us with a lack of respect. Simply put YES cutting your hair IS contrary to Sikhism but treating someone with no respect and belittling them is MUCH MORE contrary to Sikhism's teaching. How can anyone call themselves a Gursikh when one of the fundamental teachings of our religion is equality for all? My argument was not about cutting hair but rather about treating people with respect.

As i said a YES or NO would answer my question, I got my answer. ThkQ.

2. I can't speak for everyone who cuts their hair and says that they are religious, that would be fair too egotistical of me. I can say that for myself and many others I personal know our belief in our culture and our religion is solid and is based on the teaching of the SGGS. As a result of what I know I don't believe I am strong enough be take Amrit at this time maybe one day, god willing, I will find the strength within to be a GurSikh but right now I would rather not give the outer appearances of being a GurSikh when within I am not strong enough to be what a true GurSikh is. I also don't want to be one of those that takes Amrit and then does not live up to all that is asked of them, I think the bigger sin is taking Amrit and then living a life that is against it. Keeping ones hair and going to the Guardawara are easy task but truly living the within the principals of Sikhism is an accomplishment that only few are worthy of.

Good Luck. May Guru Ji do kirpa on you and all others out there.

If keeping hair was an easy task i would assume cutting hair is far easier. Yes, leading a life according to Sikh princples is an accomplishment but keeping kes and shakking amrit is one of the sikh principles. So keeping hair is an accomplishment in itself.

And yeah there were times when cutting kes(even if one wasn't an amritdhari) was considered immoral. There are women in punjab who ain't amritdhari and don't do beadbi of their kes.

I think there are many Sikh people who are true GurSikhs and follow with the utmost respect of the teachings of our Gurus, but only a fool believes that just because someone wears a paag or has even taken Amrit that they are a GurSikh. It take more then appearance to become one with God.

Agree :lol: but again the many true Gursikhs you have talked about will have a pagg(some women might not) and must be amritdhari. Interestingly, there are fools who think taking amrit and keeping kes is merely for external appearance.

Guest Guest

Before giving Guruship to Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Guru Gobind Singh Ji introduced Khanda Da Amrit (baptism of the double edged sword) and said:

Rehat Pyari Muj Ko Sikh Pyara Nahen - meaning i only love my Sikh because of Rehat without Rehat there is no Sikh.

Yes we are all equal whether Amritdhari and non-Amritdhari, Guru Ji said recognise all the human race as one.

Guest Guest

Panth made maryada. Panth has authority but Panth doesn't have authority to change bujjer kurehits. They are and will be the same forever. Read rehat maryada for more. If you done bujjer kurehit, pesh at next amrit sanchar and take amrit. Thank you and welcome to the Panth.

77jas, you need to reread my post before making assumptions. I simply stated that monay deny the rehat. Neither it is insulting them nor degrading them. My post does not say they are inferior or anything. They are monay and not Sikh. Period.

You cannot state that "Monay deny the rehat" as a fact when you have no idea why someone chooses to follow Sikhism to a certain level. Just the fact that you are generalizing and stereotyping is insulting. Also you, or anyone for that matter, do not have the right to say whether or not someone is a Sikh that judgement can and should only be left to God. The only fact is that there is no way a person can be amrithari and monay other then that they can still be Sikh.

77jas, you need to reread my post before making assumptions. I simply stated that monay deny the rehat. Neither it is insulting them nor degrading them. My post does not say they are inferior or anything. They are monay and not Sikh. Period.

You cannot state that "Monay deny the rehat" as a fact when you have no idea why someone chooses to follow Sikhism to a certain level. Just the fact that you are generalizing and stereotyping is insulting. Also you, or anyone for that matter, do not have the right to say whether or not someone is a Sikh that judgement can and should only be left to God. The only fact is that there is no way a person can be amrithari and monay other then that they can still be Sikh.

When will Sikhs stop putting up walls between moneh and people who keep kesh? Regardless of who created these divisions they need to be broguht down.