6-yr-old Girl Dies After ‘beating’ By Teacher

Guest Narinder Singh

Guest Narinder Singh

6-yr-old girl dies after ‘beating’ by teacher

P. K. Jaiswar

Amritsar, January 15

Simran (six), a class I student of a private-run Guru Amardas Public School situated at Shaheed Udham Singh Nagar here, died allegedly due to severe beating by her teacher late last evening.

The incident came to light when parents and family members, along with other residents of the area, carrying the body of the girl protested outside the B-Division police station here today.

The incident took place on January 4 after which Simran was admitted to a hospital where she succumbed to her injuries late last evening.

However, Ms Satinder Kaur, Principal of the school, strongly refuted the allegation and said Simran got injured as she fell down from the stairs in a scuffle with another student. She said during treatment in the hospital she contracted pneumonia, which led to her death.

Giving details of the incident, Mr Surinder Pal, father of the deceased, said they were a poor family and, therefore, had failed to submit the monthly fees to the school for the past two months.

He said on January 4, a teacher beat his daughter severely due to which she was critically injured. She was immediately admitted to a hospital where she died last night. The demonstrators protesting against the police demanded the arrest of the accused teacher.

Meanwhile, the police has sent the body for postmortem. Mr Amarjit Singh Bajwa, DSP, said action would only be taken after the post-mortem report. No arrest has been made so far.

In a "real" democracy the school would be held responsible, it wouldnt be blamed on a scuffle (of which there is no evidence it was a scuffle), it is the schools responsibility to provide a safe environment for children to learn.

And i wasnt surprised when i read the part about the principle denying all allegations of the girl being beaten, this is the standard of todays "modern", and "advanced" bharat.

India is disgusting, it makes me wanna throw up.

Fateh.

system is soo messed up!

iwould love to know what teachers-to-be are taught in unis/collg of india before they become teachers!

i know i went to school there for a while...and goin to school was stressful. not really an envionment for a student to actually develop properly ...especially the little ones.learning is suppose to be fun...and kids if taught the right way will learn. i dont know if they(teachers) evr get to study the human psychology and child development to prepare them to be effective teachers! :sady:

i hope its not really about money on the teacher's part!

when will they get the results?(the investigation) or are they gonna drag it until people forget about it? :)

Take it easy guys! Don't blame the whole system for one persons criminal stupidity. My wife is a qualified and experienced teacher from India, and yes they do study human psychology and child development along with the other necessary stuff. The new breed of teachers that have been graduating for the last ten years are different and are much more understanding. I have never known them to hit children. Its the older teachers that still think "Chitthar" is the way to discipline children that are causing all the problems. Many teachers got fired from our school for disciplining children too harshly. You'll never see those stories in news. My point is that with changing times, attitudes are changing and schools are much more aware of these things. Also, in my time, we used to take the "Chitthar" and just shut-up. However, the kids these days don't take it sitting down anymore.

Lastly, in this sad case, the school should also be held criminally responsible if there is proper evidence.

from what i've heard the schooling system is messed there. its all just memorize and write it on a piece of paper, noone of that apply your knowledge stuff we have in western countries.

PS. this beating incident is not new, i've heard/seen a few myself. people getting fingerprints on their face, going unconscious and stuff......some teachers are just wacko.gif

from what i've heard the schooling system is messed there. its all just memorize and write it on a piece of paper, noone of that apply your knowledge stuff we have in western countries.

Again, depends on what school you attend.......

yea i agree with you on that one! thansk jayd for providin the info i needed:)

system is changing for better around the world...some U.S. schools are messed up as well! pray.gif

ahmm ex: metal detectors in schools

and def its not about "india" i was jus askin!

there are some teachers who shouldnt be teaching at all(jus like me rolleyes.gif scary)