Maagi

Guest D

Gurufateh!

As far as i know, its the day after Lohri - you know the story of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji in battle against muslims - the 'Chalee Mukhte' (40 Saints / Soldiers) (sorry dnt know the english to it) refused to go into battle, Guruji asked for this in writing - 'Chalee Mukhte' came home Mai Bhago told them to stay home like brides - she went out and fought - 'Chalee Mukhte' shamefully followed - Sri Gobind Singh Ji and their army won the battle - in return Guruji asked one of the 'Mukhte' what would they like - they asked that the letter they wrote would be torn and asked for forgiveness

maaf karna if i told it wrong / for the quick version

If ive told it wrong - appreciate it for Sangat to correct me

Gurufateh!

With my little knowledge all I can say that Maagi is name of the desi month after winters. Lohri is celebrated on last day of desi winter month and then maagi starts. Also 40 mukte sacrificed their lives for guru on this day, so a lot of sangat go to muktsar on maagi to ishnan and pay their respects. Maybe someone else can elaborate more on this....

• 3 weeks later...

Yh as far as I know Maagi is the desi month and from what my mom's told me by waking at amritvela and reciting as much baani as you can in this month you get the most laab (you could say profit but baani and God can't be compared to that, I don't know what word you would use in english here). I'm not saying that you shouldn't wake up at amritvela every other day of the year but I know there's some story that goes along with this that I can't recall at the moment.

maagh majan sang saaDhoo-aa Dhoorhee kar isnaan.

In the month of Maagh, let your cleansing bath be the dust of the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy.

har kaa naam Dhi-aa-ay sun sabhnaa no kar daan.

Meditate and listen to the Name of the Lord, and give it to everyone.

janam karam mal utrai man tay jaa-ay gumaan.

In this way, the filth of lifetimes of karma shall be removed, and egotistical pride shall vanish from your mind.

kaam karoDh na mohee-ai binsai lobh su-aan.

S3xual desire and anger shall not seduce you, and the dog of greed shall depart.

sachai maarag chaldi-aa ustat karay jahaan.

Those who walk on the Path of Truth shall be praised throughout the world.

athsath tirath sagal punn jee-a da-i-aa parvaan.

Be kind to all beings-this is more meritorious than bathing at the sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage and the giving of charity.

jis no dayvai da-i-aa kar so-ee purakh sujaan.

That person, upon whom the Lord bestows His Mercy, is a wise person.

jinaa mili-aa parabh aapnaa naanak tin kurbaan.

Nanak is a sacrifice to those who have merged with God.

maagh suchay say kaaNdhee-ah jin pooraa gur miharvaan. ||12||

In Maagh, they alone are known as true, unto whom the Perfect Guru is Merciful. ||12||