Depression... Does Depression Exist In Sikhi?

Guest dont want to say

Guest dont want to say

OK, I'm a mum to a beautiful 5 month little boy!! I lost a baby who died at birth, the year before i had him. 2 months after my daughter passed, I realised I was expecting again.. so i don't know if i had time to grieve, or even if i grieved the 'right' way!! Now, I'm totally and madly in love with my son,but....... i've suddenly started to get depressed about my little girl.. the feelings of wanting her back, questiong god, why her... I sit flooding myself in tears, i have even had thoughts, evil thoughts of harming my son.. but seconds later i hold him close to me and say sorry! I hate myself for feeling like this.. am in tears typing this!! My hubby is very supportive, but he refuses to believe i am depressed, and says i am a fantastic mummy! My mum too says this, although i have not addmitted the evil thoughts to her, she tells me to do simran, which i do... My best friend on the other hand says i should get to the doctors and take prozak (anti depression pills)! I don't want to go down that road.. Please.. i'm pleading with god to stop me, help me.. i dont take tablets unless i have the worst pain.. please someone tell me.. will simran help.. i am not extrmely religious, as in i have broken some rules but.. i do my japji saab parth everyday, i go to the gudwara. I believe in god more than anything... I know this is something i should decide, but surely someone out there (one of you) will guide me to the right step, plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Thank u!

Waheguru =))

Bhainjee, your not alone! Whether your grieving about your daughter or about something that is going on in your life now-- we all go through times of 'depression' and 'sadness' due to the sorrows in our lives.

I know you have maybe heard this about a bijillion times but Simran is the cure for everything =)

Trust that God did whatever did for the reason he did. There is a reason for everything. Sit down and think about how blessed you are to have a beautiful healthy baby boy! =) I am sure he's a sweetie pie.

Believe in god and Trust that whatever he does is only for your benefit.

Simran Ardaas Hukhamanmaa Baani Nitnem Amritvela =) These will all help.

But most of all do everything with love and have faith in God. He has not abbandonded you bhainjee.

You might be going through anxiety but most poeple who are suffering from Depression (seriously) do not admit that they are, etc.

Talk to you doctor as to why your having thoughts as such and why your feeling sad, etc. No harm in seeing the doctor! =) They are there to help.

Hope my rambling helped you=))

My love

Waheguru ji =)

iqlµg mhlw 5 Gru 3 ]

thila(n)g mehalaa 5 ghar 3 ||

Tilang, Fifth Mehla, Third House:

imhrvwnu swihbu imhrvwnu ]

miharavaan saahib miharavaan ||

Merciful, the Lord Master is Merciful.

swihbu myrw imhrvwnu ]

saahib maeraa miharavaan ||

My Lord Master is Merciful.

jIA sgl kau dyie dwnu ] rhwau ]

jeea sagal ko dhaee dhaan || rehaao ||

He gives His gifts to all beings. ||Pause||

qU kwhy folih pRwxIAw quDu rwKYgw isrjxhwru ]

thoo kaahae ddolehi praaneeaa thudhh raakhaigaa sirajanehaar ||

Why do you waver, O mortal being? The Creator Lord Himself shall protect you.

ijin pYdwieis qU kIAw soeI dyie AwDwru ]1]

jin paidhaaeis thoo keeaa soee dhaee aadhhaar ||1||

He who created you, will also give you nourishment. ||1||

ijin aupweI mydnI soeI krdw swr ]

jin oupaaee maedhanee soee karadhaa saar ||

The One who created the world, takes care of it.

Git Git mwlku idlw kw scw prvdgwru ]2]

ghatt ghatt maalak dhilaa kaa sachaa paravadhagaar ||2||

In each and every heart and mind, the Lord is the True Cherisher. ||2||

kudriq kIm n jwxIAY vfw vyprvwhu ]

kudharath keem n jaaneeai vaddaa vaeparavaahu ||

His creative potency and His value cannot be known; He is the Great and carefree Lord.

kir bMdy qU bMdgI ijcru Gt mih swhu ]3]

kar ba(n)dhae thoo ba(n)dhagee jichar ghatt mehi saahu ||3||

O human being, meditate on the Lord, as long as there is breath in your body. ||3||

qU smrQu AkQu Agocru jIau ipMfu qyrI rwis ]

thoo samarathh akathh agochar jeeo pi(n)dd thaeree raas ||

O God, You are all-powerful, inexpressible and imperceptible; my soul and body are Your capital.

rhm qyrI suKu pwieAw sdw nwnk kI Ardwis ]4]3]

reham thaeree sukh paaeiaa sadhaa naanak kee aradhaas ||4||3||

By Your Mercy, may I find peace; this is Nanak's lasting prayer. ||4||3||

dearest bhenji,

I urge you to go see the doctor. Start with your family doctor and let him know how you've been feeling. He can prescribe some treatment for you or pills. However, you can tell him that you would prefer not to go the medication route and ask to be referred to a psychiatrist. They can then tailor their therapy with you. I know there is often times a social stigma in our punjabi community about seeing such physicians, but please know that there is no shame or anything in seeking help when we need it.

You may be absolutely right that you probably didn't have proper time to grieve for your daughter's death. Seeing the psychiatrist maybe once a week or so to talk through your thoughts and feelings and any other help they can provide would be a healthy way for you to work through the grief process and at the same time be able to manage your life and your family.

And of course gurbani and simran always help. If there is someone in the community you live that is an elder and has a deep sense of simran, you can also talk to them...simply the positive vibrations from such a soul would help you work through your process. Do you attend sadh sangat? they would also help in your condition.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh panji!

heart's reply is rght on about bani and simran.

and there is nothing wrong with seeing a psychiatrist, if u feel that u have depression. depression is something so common, but if not treated could create many other mental and social(life) complications. before there used to be these 'siyaney" who people would go and talk to and get advice or help from...but now its hard to find those people cuz we are scattered allover the plce. i would say dont take any pills but basically talk about ur inner feelings which u haven't with anyone.even if u have talked about them, it seems like u didt fully recover. it takes time. i really dont understand what u are going though, no one here does unless theyhve lost a child.

sometimes its just we want someone to hear us and need support. God made those people(psych) and that knwdge that they have gained so why not get help from them? they know what they are doin=)

do sukhmani sahib and/or dukhbhanjan path pray.gif does wonders

do seek out help. maybe jus one or two sessions and see if u like it or if it helps u in anyway.

bhul chuk muaff karni

Akal sahai

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

(P.S. i didnt see the above replys before ...so wrote the above. sorry. i wont delete it but seems like i kinda said the sme thing as othrs) really good advice by the sangat

OK, I'm a mum to a beautiful 5 month little boy!! I lost a baby who died at birth, the year before i had him. 2 months after my daughter passed, I realised I was expecting again.. so i don't know if i had time to grieve, or even if i grieved the 'right' way!! Now, I'm totally and madly in love with my son,but....... i've suddenly started to get depressed about my little girl.. the feelings of wanting her back, questiong god, why her... I sit flooding myself in tears, i have even had thoughts, evil thoughts of harming my son.. but seconds later i hold him close to me and say sorry! I hate myself for feeling like this.. am in tears typing this!! My hubby is very supportive, but he refuses to believe i am depressed, and says i am a fantastic mummy! My mum too says this, although i have not addmitted the evil thoughts to her, she tells me to do simran, which i do... My best friend on the other hand says i should get to the doctors and take prozak (anti depression pills)! I don't want to go down that road.. Please.. i'm pleading with god to stop me, help me.. i dont take tablets unless i have the worst pain.. please someone tell me.. will simran help.. i am not extrmely religious, as in i have broken some rules but.. i do my japji saab parth everyday, i go to the gudwara. I believe in god more than anything... I know this is something i should decide, but surely someone out there (one of you) will guide me to the right step, plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Thank u!

i urge you to go see a doctor,this sounds like a similar problem actress Brooke Shields had after giving birth to her child...so please go get some help cus its something that needs attention!

gauVI mhlw 5 ]

gourree mehalaa 5 ||

Gauree, Fifth Mehla:

ijsu ismrq dUKu sBu jwie ]

jis simarath dhookh sabh jaae ||

Remembering Him in meditation, all pains are gone. [why? how?]

nwmu rqnu vsY min Awie ]1]

naam rathan vasai man aae ||1||

[because[ The jewel of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, comes to dwell in the mind. ||1||

jip mn myry goivMd kI bwxI ]

jap man maerae govi(n)dh kee baanee ||

O my mind, chant [such]the Bani, the Hymns of the Lord of the Universe.

swDU jn rwmu rsn vKwxI ]1] rhwau ]

saadhhoo jan raam rasan vakhaanee ||1|| rehaao ||

The Holy People chant the Lord's Name with their tongues. ||1||Pause||

ieksu ibnu nwhI dUjw koie ]

eikas bin naahee dhoojaa koe ||

Without the One Lord, there is no other at all.

jw kI idRsit sdw suKu hoie ]2]

jaa kee dhrisatt sadhaa sukh hoe ||2||

By His Glance of Grace, eternal peace is obtained. ||2||

swjnu mIqu sKw kir eyku ]

saajan meeth sakhaa kar eaek ||

Make the One Lord your friend, intimate and companion.

hir hir AKr mn mih lyKu ]3]

har har akhar man mehi laekh ||3||

Write in your mind the Word of the Lord, Har, Har. ||3||

riv rihAw srbq suAwmI ]

rav rehiaa sarabath suaamee ||

The Lord Master is totally pervading everywhere.

gux gwvY nwnku AMqrjwmI ]4]62]131]

gun gaavai naanak a(n)tharajaamee ||4||62||131||

Nanak sings the Praises of the Inner-knower, the Searcher of hearts. ||4||62||131||

Guest Guest

Hi penjee

Depression is very comon amongst sikhs and unfor tunatly, as with many things its is never discussed, admitting that something is not right is the first step and you are very brave for do this....

My mum went throught summat similar as her son (my would-be-brother) died as she gave birth, i agree with the previous comments that you should go see a doctor and ask for some professional counciling to help deal with your feelings and emotions.....

and always do naam simran as there is no bigger power then god.............

I realy hope you come throught this difficult time and come out a much stornger person....

Kind Regards

xxx