Stock Market = Gambling?

Vpanesar

@ B4ND4...

i's all bout choice singhaa... a person who goes bankrupt due to da stock market deserves to... cah he probably put his whole life savinggs or a large portion of his capital into it... maybe greed got da best of him...

in my opinion.. for da average person, investing in stock shud only be dun wit excess capital.. if a person is spending 24/7 on da computer tryin to beat da market, then yeah, he's in too deep and greed has got da best of him...

i kno an uncle who spends between 45-60 mins a day (after work) doin his stock stuff.. tha's it.. he's makin bout 600/month in income from playin da market... dat $$ goes towards payin his outstanding debt dat he's accumulated due to his kids' post-secondary education n weddings...

he's an amritdhari singh dat gets up at 4 am everyday.. does his amrit vela... n spends at least i would say 2-3 hours a day in baba jee's room wit Guru Sahib.. he also has a full time job and a family to take care of..

so yes... it can be dun.. i's all bout balance... every situation is unique..

n although i do understand wha ur tryna say, like smartsingh said, there's a line dat shud'n be crossed.. if i's somehin tha's overtakin ur whole mind n ur like obsessed wit it... then there's a problem..

buh u can take 5k or 10k n invest it in a managed mutual fund.. where u pay sum1 to manage da money for u, n earn returns... takes da stress n da work outta it... and allows one to focus more on da more important tingz in life... i.e. seva/sangat/simran..

Blessed Love!! :@

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji ke Fateh

B4ND4... Jeeo, you are correct indeed no one should persuade people to go into stocks, share,futures trading of any sort without any research behind them. I'll present some basic guidelines if anyone wants to get involved.The real thing about any business and trading financials is risk control. If someone is on the computer 24 hours a day then either he's got a great system and he is churning the money big time,or either he;s trying all sorts of things and he is actually struggling. As the financial risk taker you have to be a risk technician. For example if you have £5k to invest and your risk per trade is between 1%-2% of the capital then you will last as long as you maintain your discipline.If however you go much higher and go for the double up and get sucked into margins given by brokers these days you will double and throw up without a doubt. I have tested this theory over 4-5 years, the only way to survive if anyone wants to get involved in this game is to find:

1. A system and stick with it.

2. Find out your average gain and loss with your system by paper trading it for at least a year.

3. Stick to the system risking only 1-2% of capital per trade at all times not matter how good a set up looks, even when paper trading.

4. Disicpline without angusih-- hardest of all , here you have to journal your own behaviour in conjunction with your system and find out if you have following it properly.

I can tell you one thing no matter how much of a Gursikh you are, trading will sure test you thoroughly.

If anyone wanting to get involved in this and can stick to the above 4 points for over a year and then trade the live money starting small then you may get somehwere in this game.

And finally you mention you haven't seen any mahapursh trading stocks, Mahapursh's are really hard to come by in any career, being a basic Gursikh is hard enough.

Here's the thing though, when you invest in stocks so much that it starts interfering with your life, then it's gambling.

Its like saying its okay to drink as long as you don't get drunk. Its Maya bai, ehde agge ta vadde vadde matha tek de aa, appan ta kuch vi nahi.

i's all bout choice singhaa... a person who goes bankrupt due to da stock market deserves to... cah he probably put his whole life savinggs or a large portion of his capital into it... maybe greed got da best of him...

in my opinion.. for da average person, investing in stock shud only be dun wit excess capital.. if a person is spending 24/7 on da computer tryin to beat da market, then yeah, he's in too deep and greed has got da best of him...

If the capital is already in excess then why would one invest in stocks to make more money.

Lets take an example:

According to your statement if a person has $100 in excess but he has to pay $200 for the loan every month than those 100 dollars don't qualify as "excess money". He is 100 dollars short already.

Now as the person is 100 dollars short so he invests in stocks to make another 100. I don't really think stocks multiply that fast. Suppose he invests those 100 dollars in stocks but he won't be able to get $200 by the end of the month. He'll still have to manage $200 before the deadline. If he can manage that for month, i am very sure he can do it for the rest of the period too.

i kno an uncle who spends between 45-60 mins a day (after work) doin his stock stuff.. tha's it.. he's makin bout 600/month in income from playin da market... dat $$ goes towards payin his outstanding debt dat he's accumulated due to his kids' post-secondary education n weddings...

he's an amritdhari singh dat gets up at 4 am everyday.. does his amrit vela... n spends at least i would say 2-3 hours a day in baba jee's room wit Guru Sahib.. he also has a full time job and a family to take care of..

600/month nice number tongue.gif . If this uncle ji makes 600 dollars everymonth from stocks after his 60 min research why doesn't he go all in and make $6000 or $60,000 and pay off the loans in one go.

Moreover, the kids should be working hard to pay off the loans and its not that tough to work hard. Its all about commitment and dedication veera. Talking about marriages, ideally a marriage shouldn't cost much but its us people who want to have lavish weddings. A simple sikh marriage doesn't cost much.

" tete pao pasariye, jetti laambi saur" .. bande nu apni situation dekh ke hi kharcha karna chahida. This statement ain't directed at anyone, its just a general comment.

Blessed Love!! :@

:umm:

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji ke Fateh

B4ND4... Jeeo, you are correct indeed no one should persuade people to go into stocks, share,futures trading of any sort without any research behind them. I'll present some basic guidelines if anyone wants to get involved.The real thing about any business and trading financials is risk control. If someone is on the computer 24 hours a day then either he's got a great system and he is churning the money big time,or either he;s trying all sorts of things and he is actually struggling. As the financial risk taker you have to be a risk technician. For example if you have £5k to invest and your risk per trade is between 1%-2% of the capital then you will last as long as you maintain your discipline.If however you go much higher and go for the double up and get sucked into margins given by brokers these days you will double and throw up without a doubt. I have tested this theory over 4-5 years, the only way to survive if anyone wants to get involved in this game is to find:

1. A system and stick with it.

2. Find out your average gain and loss with your system by paper trading it for at least a year.

3. Stick to the system risking only 1-2% of capital per trade at all times not matter how good a set up looks, even when paper trading.

4. Disicpline without angusih-- hardest of all , here you have to journal your own behaviour in conjunction with your system and find out if you have following it properly.

I can tell you one thing no matter how much of a Gursikh you are, trading will sure test you thoroughly.

If anyone wanting to get involved in this and can stick to the above 4 points for over a year and then trade the live money starting small then you may get somehwere in this game.

Thanks for the expert comments. Hopefully they'll help the people who play with stocks.

And finally you mention you haven't seen any mahapursh trading stocks, Mahapursh's are really hard to come by in any career, being a basic Gursikh is hard enough.

Its sure is hard to be a Gursikh but this is the sole reason we have been given this manukhi janam.